The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike Near Billings?  (Read 3911 times)

Offline tip-up-runner

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike Near Billings?
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Are there any lakes near billings with pike?

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike Near Billings?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:30 AM »
No, none close.  Castle Rock or Tongue would probably be the closest.

Offline ND-PikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Anita Reservoir east of Huntley used to have pike and perch in it. It's been years since I've fished it.
Type it in on Google Earth and it will bring you right to it. Good Fishing!

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Anita Reservoir east of Huntley used to have pike and perch in it. It's been years since I've fished it.
Type it in on Google Earth and it will bring you right to it. Good Fishing!

Anita may used to have Pike but it is not a place any more at least to target northerns.  If there are any at all in there, they are very very few and far between.

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:31 PM »
heard they put some muskies in both elmo and riverfront?
NCarcr8

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:53 PM »
That is correct. They are growing super fast too from what I've heard.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline frostylemonade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:18 AM »
with all that panfish in there, I'd believe it.  I actually saw one caught a summer or two ago. It was about 2 feet long but very fat.  But theres so few that were planted they might be tough to target

Offline ND-PikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Hey MT Viking...I was looking on the West Rosebud thread - and someone mentioned icing a 10-lb pike out of Anita Rsvr last weekend.
Looks like someone is still targeting some northerns out of there. I know I've pulled some decent ones out of there in the past, but that was yrs ago. Does that reservoir dry up periodically or what is your basis for saying there aren't any pike in there anymore? I'm from Sheridan and usually fish Tongue River Rsvr...but have in-laws in Billings, so I'm always trying to find decent places to fish near Billings to escape and go ice-fishing when I'm Billings-bound with the family.
Let me know. Thanks and Good Fishing!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:04 PM »
The deepest part in anita is 8ft right now and the rest is like 3 to 4ft. If they are in there, they cant be hard to catch because the water is damn near all the way drained. Iv'e seen it with my own eyes or I would never believe there are pike in there. Someone must have put some in there cuz I didn't think they would come from the river. Either way, I wouldn't go out there expecting to catch a pike...or anything at all for that matter. But hey that's what keeps us fishin ;)

MTA

:icefish:

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:49 PM »
I just got back from anita and cant believe that its not frozen solid as low as it is... i did drill a hole or anything but it looks horrid

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Hey MT Viking...I was looking on the West Rosebud thread - and someone mentioned icing a 10-lb pike out of Anita Rsvr last weekend.
Looks like someone is still targeting some northerns out of there. I know I've pulled some decent ones out of there in the past, but that was yrs ago. Does that reservoir dry up periodically or what is your basis for saying there aren't any pike in there anymore? I'm from Sheridan and usually fish Tongue River Rsvr...but have in-laws in Billings, so I'm always trying to find decent places to fish near Billings to escape and go ice-fishing when I'm Billings-bound with the family.
Let me know. Thanks and Good Fishing!

Yeah, I just saw that post.  I've talked to several folks that have fished Anita quite a bit over the last few years and that's the first Pike I've heard of. Ten pounds is a big pike for a place like Anita, you would think people would be getting hammerhandles on a fairly frequent basis if the northerns were successfully spawning in there so I wonder if that 10 pounder isn't a reminent of the ones stocked whether that be legally,illegally, or naturally from the Yellowstone.  Hopefully that 10 pounder was photographed and released.

Offline ND-PikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:07 PM »
Thanks for the insight, fellas. I'll probably stick with catching dinks at Lake Elmo when I'm visiting the in-laws. They live about 1/2 mile from Lake Elmo. Good Fishing!

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:17 PM »
I saw a picture of the pike.  It was a monster.  And yes it was released.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:46 PM »

Awesome, I love hearing that.  May fish Karma treat that good man well.

Offline mtboho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:15 PM »

Al Kruse caught this pike you where talking of at Anita. he did release it as said, but not before the hawg got a chunk out of his hand! see blood in the picture...

Offline YETI_MILK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:50 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Al Kruse caught this pike you where talking of at Anita. he did release it as said, but not before the hawg got a chunk out of his hand! see blood in the picture...

that is huge PIKE! hopeflly they keep stalking them in ther i am interested in pike near billings
Whats do you drink on the ice? I like beer. any advise is greatly appreciated

Offline YETI_MILK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:51 AM »

yesit was MONSTER!!!
Whats do you drink on the ice? I like beer. any advise is greatly appreciated

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.