The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: cooney walleye?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
cooney walleye?
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 01:43 PM »
So thinking of trying for some eyes up there. Have never fished for them. Just wondering where to start and what to use.  Can't use live minnow but have some frozen ones was just gonna jig them. Any suggestions would be great.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: cooney walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:20 PM »
try somewhere else besides the dead sea just my opinion :o

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I had a feeling that I would get that response.

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I have never ice fished it but I know its hard walleye fishin in the summer... Might be due to 50 jet skis to >:(

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:15 PM »
So thinking of trying for some eyes up there. Have never fished for them. Just wondering where to start and what to use.  Can't use live minnow but have some frozen ones was just gonna jig them. Any suggestions would be great.
CHUCKNDUCK, WHEN ARE YOU HEADING TO THE DEAD SEA AKA COONEY ;)?  I HAVEN'T ICED IT YET THIS YEAR AND WAS THINKING OF FISHING IT TOMORROW 1/7.  I HAVE COMMITMENTS LATER TOMORROW EVE, BUT WILL PROBABLY FISH UNTIL ABOUT 4 OR SO.  DO YOU HAVE TOMORROW OFF?  I'M GOING TO TRY AND LOCATE SOME PERCH WHICH TRANSLATES INTO LOTS OF HOLES!  MAYBE WE COULD DOUBLE TEAM THAT LAKE AND GET SOMETHING THRU THE ICE?  LET ME KNOW. GOOD FISHIN' - OH

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:23 PM »
I have the boy tomorrow. Two years old. Think I'm gonna take him to east fork. Let me know how it goes. Would defiantly be up for getting together another time.

Offline mcfattiefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:17 PM »
outhtnn

Perch in cooney?  Really?

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:58 PM »
I'M TAKING MY 3 YEAR OLD SO IT'LL BE INTERESTING!  ANOTHER TIME CHUCKNDUCK.
YES, THERE ARE PERCH IN COONEY, BUT SEEMINGLY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.  NEVER ICED ONE OUTTA THERE, BUT HAVE CAUGHT A COUPLE EACH SUMMER.  GONNA COVER THAT LAKE FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER AND TRY AND FIND 'EM.  WILL REPORT HOW IT GOES. GOOD FISHIN' - OH

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Yea gonna take the two year old. Attention on fishing only lasts a hour or two.  So ill take him where were sure to get some.  I definitely need to fish cooney more.  I might try it Sat. 

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:16 AM »
FISHED COONEY TODAY AND PICKED UP 4 - 15" TROUT AND MISSED A FEW OTHERS.  TOOK 3 HOURS AND 10-12 CHANGE-UPS BEFORE GETTING A HIT.  JIG SMALL SHINY SPOONS AS A FLASHER AND GLOWHOOKS TIED 6-8" BELOW THE SPOON TIPPED W/ A SMALL FROZEN MINNOW.  NOT FAST AND FURIOUS ACTION, BUT AFTER 3 TRIPS LAST YEAR AND 4 SEPARATE TRIPS MY DAD DID W/ A FRIEND AND STILL NOTHING, I CALL THAT SUCCESS!  NOW FOR A LITTLE FINE TUNING...  GOOD FISHIN' - OH

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:11 AM »
DEAD SEA 'BOWS ;)  THERE IS FISH IN THAT THAR LAKE ;D

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:41 PM »
THROW THOSE THINGS BACK! The dreaded Cooney trout!

Offline fishjunkie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines and smoking reels
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:17 PM »
 fish cooney today with my brother  1/8/11 i got  nothing  my  brother  got  one  trout 14inch  was great weather  till about one  then  got  windy and  cold  mighty slow
early to bed early to  rise  fish like  hell and  make up lies

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:51 PM »
THROW THOSE THINGS BACK! The dreaded Cooney trout!
NO ONE WOULD'VE BELIEVED ME IF I DIDN'T BRING 'EM HOME!  I KEPT THE 2 MY SON CAUGHT AS THEY KEEP HIM ENTERTAINED WHILE I FISH ;)  NOW IF ONLY THEY WERE WALLEYE I'D HAVE STAYED ALL NIGHT! GOOD FISHIN' - OH

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:19 PM »
It has been years since I fished cooney. I moved to Anaconda which is where I refined my ice fishing teqnique but I did learn some things whille I was living in Billings. First, the fishing for walleye picks up a lot at night so you probably need a shack to keep warm. Next, you need a bobber because they bite really light. My best luck was fishing in about 15 foot of water toward the back of the lake. As for bait, I used a pimple with no hooks as an attractor and 2 inches below it attached with 4lb test I had a horizontal jig. Tip the jig with a small strip of sucker meat or a minnow head. Not those awful salted ones you get at walmart. You want fresh/frozen. Then jig, jig jig jig....let it sit for a 10 count and repeat. You'll get em. Post pics if you can.

flyfish59102

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:49 PM »
DEAD SEA 'BOWS ;)  THERE IS FISH IN THAT THAR LAKE ;D
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:26 PM »
hey flyfish, i've done good on the walleyes at cooney at the summer, but never done good for them in the winter, or have even heard of anyone doing good on them. How long has it been since youve fished for them there? Did you do pretty good or just get an occasional one. when you say the back of the lake where exactly do you mean? any more info would be great. I might go over there one night soon and give it a shot, thanks

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:31 AM »
It was 4 years ago and maybe 5. I had never heard of anyone doing well either until I decided to be a nut and go out for the at night. I froze my brass monkey's off but there was a guy in a shack accross the bay. Seems to me I drove around the lake on the left side with the damn behind you. Then you were able to take a dirt road out onto a sort of beach that was half beach and half snowdrifts. At that point facing back toward the damn there was a large bay with water coming in from a small creek. You go all the way across the bay to the otherside and set up in about 15 to 20 feet of water. That is the best description I have.

Here is another walleye trick that I just learned this year. They won't appear on a fishfinder, but I use a Fishn'Buddy. I think it was about $120 from Cabela's. Even though the fish don't show up, they are always on the bottom. I use it to zoom in on the bottom and then watch for the bottom to get 6 inches shallower all of a sudden. That means there is a Walleye there. Try a silver sweedish pimple with 2 inches of line below it attached to a horizonal jig tipped with the end of a worm or a minnow. A good way to get minnows is to trap them in the summer then freeze em. that way they don's smell like the nasty ones you get at Walmart. I think it makes a difference. Also, you HAVE TO USE A BOBBER!!! Ever experience I have ever had with Walleye in the winter is that they bite really really light. A bobber will just barely move. If you are waiting for a tug it might be a while...like years.

Hope that helps.

flyfish59102

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:46 PM »
Also, you HAVE TO USE A BOBBER!!! Ever experience I have ever had with Walleye in the winter is that they bite really really light. A bobber will just barely move. If you are waiting for a tug it might be a while...like years.

Hope that helps.

flyfish59102

They seemed to hit it pretty hard at fresno and the couple trips ive taken to nelson, have never used a bobber.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Get a slip bobber at Walmart. You need to have a shack to or else they freeze up. The line slides through them and you set your depth with a string tied around your line. That way you drop back down to that magic depth everytime you real up. Also, the bobber will drop down out of your way as you real. Without a shack, I take a regular slip bobber from Walmark and attach a swivel to the bottom. That way the part your line is sliding through is underwater and won't freeze up. You do get more tangles and 4 letter words that way though. Good luck. Let me know how it works out for you.

flyfish59102

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:27 PM »
thanks for all the info. really appreciate it. did you catch any of any size where you were fishing?

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:55 PM »
No, never did get into any good ones. By the time I figured out what I was doing it was late in the year. I moved that August to Anaconda. I got G-town in my backyard now. I also didn't have a shack at the time so sitting out there for more than a few hours meant risking the loss of fingers or other important organs. Best I did was 4 walleye in one morning. Biggest was 2lbs give or take a bit.

flyfish59102

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:15 PM »
has the bite picked up at cooney? i heard the old state record walleye was caught their?
i caught this trout on whole kernal corn from cooney last year.
Trout..yummy..yummy fer my tummy...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.