New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont bay  (Read 13688 times)

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Chaumont bay
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 11:22 AM »
   I was thinking of going to Chaumont Bay fishing couple of days....  How is it getting on the bay ? Is there a lot of slush? Will I get the snowmobile & shantie stuck?   Thanks guys. 
images.jpeg

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chaumont bay
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Call Chaumont Hardware.. Greg will let you know what's up.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 12:27 PM »

They have a FB pg

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2021, 12:42 PM »
My experience Thursday was overall great as for conditions. No slush that I found or saw. The snow was hard pac and kinda drifted then. Made a rough ride but very easy.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:26 PM »
             Thanks guys ...I have to go to chaumont bay at least 1 time a year ... :icefish: :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2021, 04:47 PM »
No slush to speak of yesterday. Sun was warm today, but I doubt there was much slush today either.

4 wheelers were slow going with the snow drifts but we got around OK.

If you’ve got a snowmobile you won’t have a problem at all. The perch bite has been SLOW for pretty much everybody. Haven’t been skunked, but have had some slow days.

Offline setterman01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:21 PM »
I walked out of Long Point on Friday. The walking wasn't bad. Fishing was tough for us. We targeted perch during the day and eyes late afternoon to dark. No walleyes for us and we only took home 9 or 10 perch.

Good luck!
I never could read no road map,
I don't know what the weather might do.
But hear that witch wind whining,
and see that dog star shinin',
I got a feeling there's no time to lose,
No time to lose!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:44 PM »
   I was thinking of going to Chaumont Bay fishing couple of days....  How is it getting on the bay ? Is there a lot of slush? Will I get the snowmobile & shantie stuck?   Thanks guys.

Good luck.  Ice is good right now.  As of now atv with good tires/chains works or snowmobile. 
Just enjoying life

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Fished Sunday sounds like a repeat of everybody else lots of links two keepers then slow bite...that sun felt great though.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:16 PM »
Fished off long point today. Walk out wasn’t bad.  Walk in was a little tuff.  High winds and snow. Hit some big drifts and slushy spots.  Ice was 12 inches at every hole.  20 FOW.  Perch were biting all day 8-4. All small. Managed 3 keepers at 10 inches. 

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:40 AM »
Does anyone actually catch walleyes in the bay or is it like finding Bigfoot?  I understand it is a quality over quantity game on the big water, but not a single person reported a walleye.....   ???

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:50 AM »
Does anyone actually catch walleyes in the bay or is it like finding Bigfoot?  I understand it is a quality over quantity game on the big water, but not a single person reported a walleye.....   ???
Maybe not on here, but there are hog walleye posted on FaceBook nearly every day. Chaumont hardware posts them, and the FB group "ice fish Chamount Bay" has a lot of reports as well as safety posts, maps, community updates.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:17 AM »
Thanks TJ.  I try to stay away from FB....

Offline setterman01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:04 AM »
I saw a 28" caught on a tip up not far from where I set up. I also had three monster fish come in and chase, but not eat. Who knows exactly what they were but they acted and looked like giant walleyes on my Lowrance. Sometimes they just don't bite. The guys that fish there more often are more in tune with whats working. Its a place that requires perseverance. I'm sure a little local knowledge goes a long way too. The guys at the hardware store have always pointed me in the right direction.
I never could read no road map,
I don't know what the weather might do.
But hear that witch wind whining,
and see that dog star shinin',
I got a feeling there's no time to lose,
No time to lose!

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:13 AM »
Thanks setterman. I will talk to Chamount Masters and the hardware store.  Really would love to photo and release a dinosaur.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:37 AM »
I haven't targeted walleye. As much as i want to, its hard to go out deeper and maybe find one when i can (normally) go shallower and fill a pail of perch.  That hasnt been working out so well this year either.

Ive heard of the random shallow walleye but haven't hooked one myself.
A guy i was fishing with a few weeks ago lost a slab grabber to a big walleye that broke him off in 15fow.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2021, 04:45 PM »

I don't target them but lots of friends n family do and they catch them.
Just enjoying life

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2021, 04:52 PM »
I’ve only fished the bay a few times, I did catch a huge walleye a few years ago on a bright bluebird day. 

I do stop at the hardware store and usually they are good with the info, but last week the guy giving out bait was a little light with anything in particular.  Just “could be anywhere”, hard to say what they are biting” and so on.  All true of course.  He did give a generous scoop of minnows though.  First time I went in there the guy pulled out a map and marked a couple of spots on it and was very helpful.  We did very well that day!

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2021, 02:53 AM »
Any idea on if a quad can make it from the main launch to Herrick? Heading up Friday

Offline Glowgetter24

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walter is who I chase
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:46 AM »
Any idea on if a quad can make it from the main launch to Herrick? Heading up Friday
Yes we were there for the last 3 days. Very passable with no issues. A few snow drifts here and there 12 to 15 inches. The bite on Herrick was not there for us. A few sniffers was all . Good luck!!
Glowgetter

Offline Glowgetter24

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walter is who I chase
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:55 AM »
Yes we were there for the last 3 days. Very passable with no issues. A few snow drifts here and there 12 to 15 inches. The bite on Herrick was not there for us. A few sniffers was all . Good luck!!
Glowgetter

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:50 AM »
I do stop at the hardware store and usually they are good with the info, but last week the guy giving out bait was a little light with anything in particular.  Just “could be anywhere”, hard to say what they are biting” and so on.  All true of course.  He did give a generous scoop of minnows though.  First time I went in there the guy pulled out a map and marked a couple of spots on it and was very helpful.  We did very well that day!
Everyone always says the hardware store is great and will help you out and give you information, and Ive never gotten anything beyond a cold "here is your bait, pay up front" kind of attitude. Not friendly, not helpful.

They post alot of information on FB, but in person Ive never seen anything remarkable in regards to customer service.

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:12 AM »

Awesome, thanks buddy. Hopefully we can find em

Offline Bambino0657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:53 AM »
I had the same experience as Otto. I still have the map he gave me the first time but kind of short on dialogue since then. You probably get tired of the same questions but I really appreciated it when I got it.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:38 AM »
I had the same experience as Otto. I still have the map he gave me the first time but kind of short on dialogue since then. You probably get tired of the same questions but I really appreciated it when I got it.

Awesome, thanks buddy. Hopefully we can find em

Maybe there has been a change in ownership of management in the last few years?   Or as suggested, it a long season of answering the same question "Where they biting?" all the time.  Still, the best and only place I know to get bait or supplies in Chaumont.

And BTW, they were never rude or anything but nice.  Not knocking them at all!

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2021, 12:20 PM »
It has not changed ownership. Greg is always helpful if you ask him questions. Sometimes since he’s not out there he might just not know where the best spot is. Fishings been slow on the whole bay this year kind of hard to point people in a direction.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2021, 12:24 PM »
I called the hardware store last year when I was toying with the notion of heading here and they were very helpful in talking about the different access points people use and places to avoid traveling.  Chamount Masters also gave me some good insight on where I should be looking for different species.  Glad to hear that people do catch big wallers here.  I was beginning to doubt if it was worth the trek.  I need to give CM another call to see about accommodations soon, assuming the warm up does not start to accelerate too quickly.  Thanks for the insights.     

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2021, 04:31 PM »
It has not changed ownership. Greg is always helpful if you ask him questions. Sometimes since he’s not out there he might just not know where the best spot is. Fishings been slow on the whole bay this year kind of hard to point people in a direction.
You can toot his horn if you want. But after only 2 experiences in there my personal opinion is I will find things I need while fishing Chaumont else where.
Not a place worth my business. Just personal experience and this more recent time was worse.
Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:46 PM »
I am heading up there this weekend to do some perch fishing in my usual spot but if the bite isn’t happening I want to switch over to walleyes.  What size leader do you guys use up there? I have 17# fluoro and wondering if that’s too heavy?  The next size down is 12# but worried if I hook a lifetime fish it won’t hold up. Would love some experienced input, thanks.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:56 PM »
I am heading up there this weekend to do some perch fishing in my usual spot but if the bite isn’t happening I want to switch over to walleyes.  What size leader do you guys use up there? I have 17# fluoro and wondering if that’s too heavy?  The next size down is 12# but worried if I hook a lifetime fish it won’t hold up. Would love some experienced input, thanks.
It’s all about the drag. Smooth drag.

Lol

Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.