New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1027254 times)

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #1050 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:31 AM »
hey gentelmen
we will be headed that way tommorow morning for weekend wondering on amount of snow you got from this "storm" that didnt really happen here
we go out of park at sylvan beech,
thx

Offline esocidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1051 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:20 AM »
So has anyone taken a walk on the northside towards cleveland  area after this bit of snow we got?

Offline OneidaSteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1052 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:26 AM »
I live in front of the Jewel DEC access and as of right now we’re just shy of 12” of heavy lake effect snow

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1053 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Was that you I saw yesterday afternoon out on the ice. Had a guy circle us on same sled as u have.
Maybe so , I been riding the lake A lot as the trails suck. I haven't rode around anyone though. I did pull some sleds in for some guys from Pulaski last week when there was a full blown blizzard on. They were walking into the wind towards Taft park, about 1 1/2 miles out, saved their day I think.

:)

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #1054 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Maybe so , I been riding the lake A lot as the trails suck. I haven't rode around anyone though. I did pull some sleds in for some guys from Pulaski last week when there was a full blown blizzard on. They were walking into the wind towards Taft park, about 1 1/2 miles out, saved their day I think.
No matter what they say, Timmy, you’re all right!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Wayne W.

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1055 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:32 PM »
4 wheelers are on the ice,I’vegot my Side by side on the ice with no issues. Walking would be hard

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1056 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:51 PM »
crossed the lake from Williams park to wantry area.......bumpy ride with the sled......drifted snow anywhere from 3" to 12"......saw some wheelers out and they were going slow but making it....I would think chains would be helpful......thick snow cover has got the fish a little sluggish IMHO....did get a dozen perch and dumped a couple eyes but they were not very aggressive.....beautif ul day ......no wind to speak of

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1057 on: Feb 08, 2018, 03:19 PM »

Thanks for the reports guys

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1058 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Scout, that was always one of my favorite spots! Perch on the bottom in 19' and walleyes would show up above them.
I had several of my best days there. I first found it after launching from Three Mile Bay...Word was out that guys were catching pike off Doris Park. I could see their group.
It was just after 1st ice when it was just getting good to go on a machine. I don't like crowds and I knew Wantry meant structure, so I headed there. I got lucky and hit the right spot! Later when it was good to go everywhere, I went to Spruce Grove and paid to leave my machine and shanty there.
Then I'd travel to Spruce Grove each day. It was much better than towing each day.
All the Oldtimers would leave the marina around the same time each morning and head for their favorite spot...Shantytown, let's call it. I'd just keep going until no one followed me...I figured the noise from all those guys herded the fish to another spot...away from the noise...I fished there off and on all season...Sounds like it's still a good spot to check.
I'm remembering it right now, like it was yesterday. What a blast fishing in a hut with a heater AND with a fishfinder!! ;D
All that snow can be a game changer, that's for sure. In your yard or on the lake!
Knee deep snow sucks on the ice! I hated getting stuck after the track on the sled spins all the snow out from under it and then it just spins on the ice...
But it's not just icefishing, it's an Adventure! @)
You guys be safe out there shoveling, plowing or fishing...no matter where you fish. :tipup:

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1059 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Hey XxFISH4EYEZxX
Were you there before the snow or after the snow came yesterday?

I was there Tuesday and yesterday before the storm . It was different to have the whole place to myself lol doesn't happen often. I seen two guys start heading out but turned around and one guy watching me from parking lot.

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1060 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about the launch , I personally don’t use the launch either  as it is very unpredictable, many people have got wet and muddy over the years , it doesnt freeze well ,

Not at all and just deep enough to ruin your day and now that it's covered in snow... not good. 

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1061 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:24 PM »
I hit the ice this afternoon.  Probably a 10 inches-foot of snow on the ice. Not sloppy underneath as of tonight. That may change. Great for the sled. I definitely wouldn’t want to be walking/dragging though.  Have a few more inches of snow coming in the next day and a half as well. Landed a 16”,20”, 21” and two shorts. I also forgot my heater and realized what a spoiled baby I am 😀.  Brrrrr!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1062 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:13 PM »

Good job fishshack

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #1063 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:23 PM »
It’s a home made spoon that the old timers used back in the day ,
    I to sometimes run big stuff like mcCully for perch , it’s like everything else sometimes it works and sometimes not , thinking out side the box doesn’t hurt
I remember that day you spanked me and Spanky with the big spoon TOI painted, perch were powerless to resist  ;D

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1064 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Way to go Fishshack. You have them figured out!

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1065 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:02 AM »
I rode the lake last night after dark as the C4 trail was wadded, it was A hell of A ride with all that snow. I found A bad slushy spot in Bernhards bay, but it is over by Dickinson island and won't affect most people there. Wheelers are gonna have A tough time of it for sure, I saw one coming in from grassy last night and he was getting through it.

Offline pkosatka09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1066 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:49 AM »
hey guys - anybody know the ice conditions off Chapman by the shoals?
i was going to head to Cayuga this weekend but ice conditions are very poor i guess

Offline Zimmy87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1067 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:04 AM »
I was out of Chapman yesterday. Walked out to 32 feet the drag SUCKED! Was wishing for my wheeler as there was some out there. On the flip side they are predicting more snow so a sled would be better. Ice was 12 to 15 no slush bite was slow

Offline pkosatka09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1068 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:24 AM »
thanks Zimmy - i consider the drag my work out for the week so it should be a solid work out this weekend

Offline FlagsUP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Better run fast, that fish is screamin!
« Reply #1069 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Fished off Lewis. Drag is def slow. Bite is also. Marked a bunch. Got one nice Waldorf and a couple nice perch. 
Pass me the BOONES farm!

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1070 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Fished yesterday afternoon and this morning, got 1 eye but lost 3 dew to line breaking (6lb mono). Should I be using something other than that, any help would be great

Offline QDAWG44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1071 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Shouldnt be breaking off with 6lb. Sounds like u need to spool some new line on!

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1072 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Yea. Like Qdawg said- 6 should be fine unless it’s old/brittle.  Lots of guys even use 4

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1073 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Yep sounds like your line is old maybe drag set to tight as well but it takes a lot of fish to break 6#

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1074 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Changed the mono, try again in the morning. Thanksgiving

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1075 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Changed the mono, try again in the morning. Thanksgiving

You sure Mike isn’t screwing with you by nicking your line???
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline robinhoodsucci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1076 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Was out by 3mile today with wheeler had chains will travel! No snow over 6 inches from what I saw bite slow

Offline bigdub22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1077 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:35 PM »
I felt the bite off lewis was good today. Was able to get a limit and two perch. Drag was to be reckoned with. Got to target the high flyers. 

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #1078 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:49 PM »
I fished out of Apps this morning, tough bite to say the least, first drop I caught a real nice perch but that was it, had some lookers though, made one other move to deeper water and had no marks so I called it a day around 12:30. Snow was 8-12" , my 4 wheeler didn't have much trouble with it....
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1079 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:53 PM »
good early morning bite for the eyes today......got 3 with a few throw backs.......perch were a little finicky with a half dozen hittin the pail......gaddam jigging rap hooks cost me a few fish.....tough gettin those fat eyes up a 6" hole  ;D.....all the machines I saw were handling the conditions fine.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.