Author Topic: Green hornet rods  (Read 4260 times)

Offline HardWaterSlave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cold tired and hungry
Green hornet rods
« on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Everyone remember the green hornet rod from Grumpy Old Men? Is that movie becoming popular again? It seems like the last few times I've been fishing I'm seeing them in everyone's bucket. Is someone local making them and I'm missing out? Whats the story here people?

They don't look hard to make, it's just a piece of 1x4 right? From looking at the eBay they seem to sell for like 30 bucks. Why hasn't a guy chucked up a piece in a lathe and turned a round on that has a reel seat or at least a spot to band a reel on?

I feel like I'm missing out.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Green hornet rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:22 AM »
The whole point of the Green Hornet is nostalgia. A reel seat would destroy that. However, they do look very easy to make. 1x4 sounds about right. Sand down a fiberglass blank tip for that “spring bobber” action and it would make for a killer shallow water panny setup. Basically a schooley but more better  ;D

Now I really want to watch Grumpy Old Men and build some rods....... :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:37 PM »
I got one strictly to be used as a wall hanger! However I did see them recently sold on e-bay by a guy who makes them...I think in in WI or MN...pretty cool.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:52 PM »
A 1 x 4 works, not too hard to build

I made this this afternoon.

Offline HardWaterSlave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cold tired and hungry
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2018, 10:27 AM »

I banged out a quicky one on the lathe,  inset the rod in cork then the hardwood handle.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:06 PM »

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:07 PM »
I banged out a quicky one on the lathe,  inset the rod in cork then the hardwood handle.

Awesome work!

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:08 PM »

Nice!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:24 PM »

Finally got one finished.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.