Author Topic: Show me your sleds!!!  (Read 158976 times)

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Show me your sleds!!!
« on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:10 PM »
I want to build a sled this off season. Let's see some of the custom sleds here.

I need ideas!

Offline walleyesteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye & Perch the other white meat.
Re: Show me your sleds!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2008, 05:21 AM »
I don't have a pic but a friend of mine built a sled from plywood. It was 3' X 3" and 2'1/2 deep. The top opened on hinges to reveal smaller compartments-plywood again, the large section would hold 3 buckets side buy side. One was for lanturn storage-had three sections inside. There was a footrest on the rear and you could sit on the lid-riding backwards, while being towed buy a machine. There was a metal towbar or trailer tounge on the front. This thing was slik-but it was heavy. Last I knew he was look'n to off it! Pm me if you are interested in more details.
God created bass for those who can not catch walleye.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2008, 06:00 AM »
I'm watching this thread for ideas also....maybe just to pimp my sled ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 06:30 AM »
i can't! photobucket site is down! ;D
ok here it is. i will post better pics.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mikethenorthernpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:09 PM »
i can't! photobucket site is down! ;D
ok here it is. i will post better pics.
(Image removed from quote.)

that looks just like mine
Tip-up, thud thud thud thud thud thud thud, slide, pick up, pull it in, celebrate.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:10 PM »
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:43 AM »
 You got the right idea You just didnt go far enough OK OK  just my ideas,Up north we have to walk to most of the lakes in the land of a thousand lakes some you can not even have a scadoo on so you have to be portable.What your sleigh needs is a top that will support three sides,and a roof.Something to get you out of the wind. I am not sure how to post a pic or i would. I am in the process of building the wife one so we can be a team LOL LOL  Wayner.
  Your skies are the right kind.Your sleigh is a little long I am not sure if a 63 year old fart like me could pull this very far.I would have to wax those skies real good
  I did try the plastic skies at first but they are to flimsey and they bend,They do slide good and was easy to pul though.But i think a set of down hill skies cut to 5 feet works better You also have a great stance the skies should be between 16 inches and 22 inches apart for a good travel
  Just my opinion for we have had a lot of snow north of the 49th

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2008, 01:35 PM »
You got the right idea You just didnt go far enough OK OK  just my ideas,Up north we have to walk to most of the lakes in the land of a thousand lakes some you can not even have a scadoo on so you have to be portable.What your sleigh needs is a top that will support three sides,and a roof.Something to get you out of the wind. I am not sure how to post a pic or i would. I am in the process of building the wife one so we can be a team LOL LOL  Wayner.
  Your skies are the right kind.Your sleigh is a little long I am not sure if a 63 year old fart like me could pull this very far.I would have to wax those skies real good
  I did try the plastic skies at first but they are to flimsey and they bend,They do slide good and was easy to pul though.But i think a set of down hill skies cut to 5 feet works better You also have a great stance the skies should be between 16 inches and 22 inches apart for a good travel
  Just my opinion for we have had a lot of snow north of the 49th
my sled is about 5 feet long, to fit large tip-ups, and the bait bucket. the bucket is on the back, because it will bog down when in the front. i don't use a portable shelter, so it's not an issue. the sled is 18" wide. just rebuilt it, and it's tough to get into my apartment. i live on the top floor.

be careful of the size. myself, and 2 friends built them too big in the past, and had to cut them down. ;D

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:11 PM »
 OK i am at a loss  How do i post a picture or pictures  wayner

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:19 PM »
get a photobucket account first.(photobucket.com) then you can post pics.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:31 PM »
just curious..  How does electrical conduit work as ski's ?  Thought about making a sled using it, But wasn't sure of how well it would work in deeper snow.  I have used an old set of water ski's.  They worked pretty good as they were wide enough to support the weight on top of the snow.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:00 PM »
i've seen posts with conduit, i'll see if i can find the thread. i got away from water skis. snow skis are better. ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Bummer.... my Jet sled has developed a wear hole in the rear corner.... I pull it by hand, never on pavement >:(....any ideas for repairs
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Bummer.... my Jet sled has developed a wear hole in the rear corner.... I pull it by hand, never on pavement >:(....any ideas for repairs

Buy a new jet sled,  set the old one inside of it.  Should cover the hole nicely..lol
Seriously though no ideas here.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:07 PM »
Not sure, But could you patch it with a fiberglass repair kit ??

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:09 PM »
Jimmy,
I bought some two part epoxy, I think it was called plastiweld, to repair a plastic washing machine tub and the stuff worked great.  I put some tape on one side, smeared it on, let it cure.....then did the same to the other side.  I will try to find it to get the exact name for you, but I bought it at Phillips Hardware in Colonie.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:11 PM »

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2008, 08:23 PM »

hey jimmy i had the same thing happen to mine.  get you some old broke plastic from around the house i used an old broken bucket. then use a torch or ligther and melt it and let it drip on the hole in your sled on the inside.  then use a putty knife and smooth it out.  it worked for me.  looks goofy but alot cheaper then a new one.  you might have to do it more then once to get it complety filled in.  i use mine for duck hunting walk ins too so my has to be water proof.  thats what i did anyways hope this helps. 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2008, 08:43 PM »
  Ok i got an account over at photobucket.com????NOW WHAT and HOW

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2008, 05:27 AM »
  Ok i got an account over at photobucket.com????NOW WHAT and HOW
if the link doesn't help, PM me and i'll try and help. ;D

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Get this thread back on track. More pics please!

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2008, 10:46 AM »

They are trying to figure out how to post the pics  ::)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2008, 11:34 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I will post my pics here soon.

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2008, 11:52 AM »
 OK i think just think maybe i got it right This is my latest creation,,

BUT FIRST I must appologize I laughted so hard when i first heard of steel tubbing as runners but then i thought that would be great if you didnt have three or four feet of snow like we do so if you had only 2 or 3 inches  then i think that would be great  SORRY about the laughter

This is almost finished except for the plastic skies I have to get rid of them and get real skies Thats the best in 2 or 3 feet of snow covered lake the fronts on the plastic skies bends and sinks in that much snow
[/quote]

Offline squirrel nuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2008, 01:02 PM »
We decided to build a couple of sleds for overnight trips.Salmoncandy built a stove into his along with rod storage etc.I put in a solar charging system for the vexilar along with led lighting for the interior.Both sleds were built out of aluminum and have UHMW runners.We talked to alot of guys about the hitch setup and built our own spring hitchs.The only thing I would change is the front angle-should have rounded it off rather than have it at 45degrees.Blows alot of snow up in deep powder but pulls great everywhere else.

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2008, 01:43 PM »
  Nice sled looks like it needs a body raize or widder skies under the weight of the load for the size of skies ,or is this an exceptional light powder snow.. ???? how many dollars .
  Here in CANADA it is against the law to tow a sleigh behind a snow machine with a rope . I am not to sure how inforced this law is, but this is the case. It must have a solid connection if it is going to be towed by a motorized vehicle. Most of us in the eastern end of ONTARIO have to go out on most of the lakes pulling our ice shelters by hand This is the case with my lattest creation I will post more pics to keep this thread alive and well  lets have some more pics of homebuilds  thanks  wayner

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2008, 01:54 PM »
  The first full sized picture had two mistakes first the skies were to close together and it was tippie so we took it apart and used a piece of 3/4 inch plywood for a base and this helped to widden the stance
  Second problem is the plastic skies they have to go for they are to plyable going to use a pair of older wooden skies downhill of cource and cut them down to 62 inches.This is a picture of the shelter in the collapsed mode and bunjied ready for travele pics to keep this thread alive and well  lets have some more pics of homebuilds  thanks  wayner
[/quote]

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2008, 02:03 PM »
  As you can see from the last pic there is room to change the stance of the skies if need be. I also made cut outs with a hole saw so that my power awger can be bunjied down as well.Two paols one for the minow bucked with a lide so that if i did have an accident i wouldnt lose everything.The other pail for rags and some tools like screwdriver pliers and a few wrenches also my lunch goes here LOL LOL  and the pail could be a seat at another hole I also made cutouts in the totte box so i could hang,hangers to hang a milk crate to haul the motor in when the awger is apart, PS any ????just ask

[/quote]

Offline vette59jdwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2008, 04:38 PM »
  Polley I hope i dont tramp on your toes or hurt your fellins ,I see your at the opposite end of NEW YORK state as me You in the SOUTH and me in the NORTH,Well if the snow gets any deeper down your way ,your going to have to swap out the 2x4 for 2x6's or 2x8's.Your sleigh is the best idea that i have seen it must pull easy If you have a lot of wind down your way Here is what you have to do Build a base and put sides on it.like attached
 Then when you raise
Might try this..    http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=37730.0
it you have to reinforce the runners

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.