New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091814 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I don't do Book Face but got a message from a friend about a couple guys fishing White Lake and catching a real slob Brown over 29 inches and over 10 pounds. Probably not a fish story because I know they are in there but very rare to hear of one coming through the ice. Should be on the Sullivan county conservation site.

Gam

https://www.facebook.com/SullivanCounty.ConservationClub/photos/pcb.3177306892295466/3177301312296024/?type=3&theater
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
big ol' trout! Wish they were more plentiful there or somewhere closer.  Going to take more trips next year north.

Speaking of trips, what are you guys thinking for safe ice?  I know hard to predict until day of but still getting in the low 20s at night.  I would love to ice fish saturday.  Does anyone think we will still be fishing Sullivan county this upcoming weekend? If not, anywhere within 2 hours? 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Gamalot thank you for passing on the info. /story from your friend. Hardwater Diehard thanks for the Facebook link.  Nice to know trout of that size are in White Lake agree with Gamalot hard to locate and catch while ice fishing. Even during the King of the Ice contest wining fish most years has been a large chain pickerel though there were a couple 4-5 pound walleye caught in the past 5 years at the contest.

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
May be this will work

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSullivanCounty.ConservationClub%2Fphotos%2Fa.408423869183796%2F3177301312296024%2F%3Ftype%3D3&width=500" width="500" height="380" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
May be this will work

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSullivanCounty.ConservationClub%2Fphotos%2Fa.408423869183796%2F3177301312296024%2F%3Ftype%3D3&width=500" width="500" height="380" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

YUP! Thank you, What a beautiful fish.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
YUP! Thank you, What a beautiful fish.

Gam

I'm not a big face book fan myself but use it from time to time ...just a heads up those wanting to share photos from face book to this forum or others

Click the photo you want to share.

Hover over the photo and click Options in the bottom right.

Select Get Link.

Copy and paste the link to share it with anyone, even if they don't have a Facebook account. Keep in mind that anyone with the link will be able to see the album.

Note: You can only share a link to photos you've uploaded or albums you've created. You can't share links to albums that are automatically created (example: Profile Pictures, Mobile Uploads

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
That sure is a beauty and from White Lake of all places, go figure.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Released?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Released?

Funny you mention that. I would have released that one after a couple pictures as long as I thought the hook did not do deadly damage. I don't do fish on my walls and if I want one for dinner I highly prefer one between 17-20 inches just enough for me and the wife to have a great and fresh fish dinner that night. My fishing buddies think I am a weirdo because I get a thrill when a big fish wins the battle at the hole. I highly prefer for big pickerel to break me off and the same goes for big bass that are out of season. I do not have any issues with a guy who wants to have a trophy mounted, it's just not me and I sure have caught some woppers.

This was pretty cool, 2 smallies on one lure both around 4-5 pounds.

Gam

Offline Need ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello all. Hope everyone had a good year. I know that this isn't the place to ask. But I don't know where to ask it. Was thinking of going to check on my boat this weekend on the roundout. Just wondering if anyone drives by it and knows if it's open yet..  thank you very much.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hello all. Hope everyone had a good year. I know that this isn't the place to ask. But I don't know where to ask it. Was thinking of going to check on my boat this weekend on the roundout. Just wondering if anyone drives by it and knows if it's open yet..  thank you very much.

Go to myfishfinder.com on the NY board and ask Gino.. ;D.   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Need ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you. And good luck to the guys that fish for trout . Anyway now. :-)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you. And good luck to the guys that fish for trout . Anyway now. :-)

Not sure of the ice situation there on the Reservoir but I am pretty sure you could check on the boat with little problems and not much snow unless you have it stored in a spot where the sun does not get to it. What ever the ice condition is right now is sure to change rapidly today with the warm rain and over the next 2 weeks unless we get slammed with more snow and a super cold snap. I grew up in Wurtsboro and cut my teeth catching trout right in the Bashakill. Great place to grow up and me and my pals fished from the end of town north up stream and south down stream and always caught nice trout. My brother still lives there and has been the fire chief a few times over many years. Post what you find when/if you go because I have boats on the Res also but usually fish from shore on the opener.

Gam

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
I drove by Rondout on sunday on the way home from skiing.  It still had lots of ice with the usual open spots. Ice definitely on the way out.  There also was a thread on HVS Sportsman about it that I'm sure will be updated when opened. 

Offline Need ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks again. To all. Think this may be the last weekend of hard water. Good luck to all and be safe. Might need my four wheeler ramp to get out on it..... Keep your balls deep :-). Down rigger jock.

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
I was at the rondout on Tuesday, checking on my boat as well... the ice is still there but hopefully getting ready to let out... the shoreline was open in many places. Access to boats on the 55A side was effortless... you’d be fine to check it out. I don’t think the ice will be gone in 10 days, probably more like 2 to 3 weeks. I wish that weren’t the case, but sadly, I think I’ll be fishing a different spot on April 1st.
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline Need ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Yeah. That's where my boat is. Thank you

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
posting this for a friend who wants to try to ice fish one more time this season.

Anyone know if there is any safe ice in sullivan county or on north/south lake ?

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
Seen a lot of posts on different sites about some nice crappie being caught.  This guy who is local to me put this up on his YouTube channel.  He has some pictures of some huge crappie there. I put up one of his photos here.  But he showed how he fillets them.  Looked interesting.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am with you Gamalot….those big ones deserve to live plus they taste like crap! ..Take a dozen pictures do your yahoos, take some measurements for a possible epoxy mount ( which look better anyway) and release it for another day...Now white lake is going into another big pond fiasco...I will have to bring my Russian to English translator to know what everybody is keeping ….ohh no that's right they keep everything!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Just giving this thread a bump up ..ice is forming pretty steady on lakes and ponds in lower Sullivan Co NY ..not expecting an earlier than normal start to the season ..but it will be here before long .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks HW, I was looking at my gear today so it is fitting to get things on the move. Another major point we should try to drive home on these long running threads is their age. BE SURE when you quote from old posts that you check the dates of those last year and older posted discussions. YES, there was safe ice in January but it was last January! Some of the bait shops from years past are no longer in business so some updating is in order. We are all a year older than we were this time last year so check the post dates so we are all in the same year.

Gam

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Hi Guys (Hardwater / Gamalot).... glad to be back!!  Was up in your neck of the woods for Opening day of deer....sat in the woods for two days....saw nothing....heard very few shots.  Cold enough to be ice fishing !!!Some local ponds had skim ice.  Good Summer down here on LI....ocean fishing was HOT - HOT - HOT!!!  Still catching big Stripers on the troll.....Blackfishing coming on strong right now !!  Looking forward to seeing you guys this Winter..... we should think about an IS group fishing day.  No better way to get re-aquainted, have a cookout, catch some fish !!  Keep in touch !!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi Guys (Hardwater / Gamalot).... glad to be back!!  Was up in your neck of the woods for Opening day of deer....sat in the woods for two days....saw nothing....heard very few shots.  Cold enough to be ice fishing !!!Some local ponds had skim ice.  Good Summer down here on LI....ocean fishing was HOT - HOT - HOT!!!  Still catching big Stripers on the troll.....Blackfishing coming on strong right now !!  Looking forward to seeing you guys this Winter..... we should think about an IS group fishing day.  No better way to get re-aquainted, have a cookout, catch some fish !!  Keep in touch !!!

Hi Roger, YUP! Hoping to get out early and more often this season. I did not get out this summer much at all because every time I wanted to go the weather shot me down, wind, rain or just too hot. Did OK with SMB but not much with my target trout and walleyes. Not hunting this year with a back that simply refuses to cooperate. Buddies have done quite well so far with a nice 8, 10 and 11 point bucks between the four of them and the 11 was my pals very first kill after beginning Xbow hunting just a few years ago.
Hope to do a get together at some point once the ice forms and thinking I will fish the King contest this year if it is not too bitter cold or windy. I never have had much luck on White Lake but it is more about just getting out for me. Seems most of my lures these days catch more fisherman than fish up here. Right now I am way behind on all of my fall-winter duties and need to get off my rear and fight this back issue. Must do the swap from mower to blower on the Kubota plus swap the winter wheels onto both SUVs before I even think about ice fishing. Hope to get that stuff done by turkey day if at all possible. I stowed all my ice gear last spring ready to just go when the ice forms this winter so no problems there. We should see some of the other regulars signing in here shortly and then the crying for ice will begin.

Gam

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey guys,

Nice to see everyone starting to come back to the forum, hope everyone has had a great summer. I was able to get out last weekend with a buddy here in WI and had about 5 inches of ice in north-central WI and we put together a solid stack of gills and crappie, releasing most of the females and larger males. I can't wait for winter break and some awesome Sullivan County ice fishing to come.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
As far an an organized meet and greet I would say the first 10 days of January would be a good choice ..no contests minimal snow and most waters are locked up ..Lake Huntington or White Lake would be my choice.

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know if they will allow the electric drills on the reservoirs this season?
Been using my KDrill in CT but would love to poke some holes in NY...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hello, good to see folks returning to Ice Shanty. Between work and some health issues have not gotten out fishing. I did learn of two ice fishing contests last Winter both are out of what I consider the SENY area ,one is for youth and held in Tannersville,Ny. (Greene county not far from Hunter Mtn. ski area) the other is in Columbia county. Once I get more information on both of them will pass it on to whatever Mod. is running the contest ,derbies, tournaments thread this season.

MJD3561 here is an Email and phone number that should get you the info. on electric drill usage on NYC water supply reservoirs .   1-800-575-5263   , ([email protected]

Steve

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone know if they will allow the electric drills on the reservoirs this season?
Been using my KDrill in CT but would love to poke some holes in NY...

If you are referring to NYCDEP east of the Hudson River reservoirs, the DEP has implemented quite a few rule changes this past year, one is permitting the use of electric drills to cut holes.
They also banned smoking and vaping on NYCDEP property.

https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/sites/default/files/adopted_rules_pdf/rec_rules_final_approved_by_law_5.21.19_for_city_record-final.pdf

Look at pages 3 & 7 for the 2 rule changes I mentioned.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.