New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: spud bar  (Read 4673 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: spud bar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Hey trap,  I committed the sin.. used my trusty red white,  blue spud all day on some really decent ice well below the blue line  ( adks) and when I got home realized I left it there. Either at the guardrail or parking spot.
I'm confident though as it will still be there in am when I return. 
Thankfully,  my son will also have his spud tomorrow.
Life is good when your still on top

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:25 PM »
that's one nice gill  ;D

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:39 PM »
 ;)
A few phatties in there. Going crappie and perching searching,  same spot tomorrow but if the gills still want to bite I'll play
🤞

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:48 PM »
Well I didn't have to resort to the lost and found.
My brother in law swung by the lake and picked up my spud bar.
We will be fishing together tomorrow and I'll feel better having a safety tool in my hand

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:51 PM »
^5  I have a feeling it's not your first rodeo and you would have hade a safety tool no matter what .......  good luck and post some big gill pictures man  ;D  glad you got it back

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Spud bar in hand and a good start to the day

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2020, 04:01 PM »
Folks,
This winter has been one of the most inconsistent ice I've encountered in quite a few years. If there is 1 tool you should have before you venture onto the ice it's a spud bar.
A coworker friend went through the ice this weekend.  Ice that had lots of tracks in the snow and holes drilled leading to his travels. 
He didn't however have a spud bar or ice picks. 
Thankfully his pack basket helped him stay afloat and aided in his self rescue.  He lost his gear but not his life.
He contemplated never going on the ice again but decided his love for the outdoors wasn't going to let him be denied so he purchased a spud bar , ice picks and a throw rope with bouy.
I'm grateful he's back to work and still my friend.

I was out this weekend on what looked like great black ice.
There was white ice from shore to about 50 yards out then clear black ice. 
The white ice had 3-4" , once we hit the black ice with my spud it went through in 2 strikes.
We ventured no further.

Stay safe and stay on top  !!!

Offline CNYperchsearch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Good video. Thanks for posting it Trapper.
I have to admit that I have a shorter than normal spud bar that I do use as a walking stick. My reasoning for doing that is that if there is any question as to the ice quality, my “walking stick” spud is right where I need it and not back at the truck or elsewhere. It is a well designed spud with good weight for its length, just not as heavy as many longer ones.
By using it as I do, I have backed away from two spots this year that I wasn’t comfortable with.
Also, even on nice thick ice, I’ve been on slick spots without creepers where the walking stick was handy.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2020, 05:19 PM »
CNY i'm sure  glad it  helped ya  and that you carry a spud ... tuna  glade your  friend is ok and I  have  found  a lot of places  where the  spud went threw  this  year ....be careful out there

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2020, 06:12 PM »

remember when the sun starts to get warm black ice absorbs heat and white ice reflects, 2 things that don’t lie , a Stanley ruler and your spud

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Yeah Tuna I heard he went through . . Glad he made it out okay. . . To everyone on the site. . If you don't have spikes . . A spud bar. . Throw rope with a float. . A whistle. . Please purchase these lifesaveing tools. . And always tell someone where you are going. . BE SAFE. .

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:35 AM »
Also, make sure you have a spare change of clothes in the car! If you do fall in, you're going to need to get out of that wet gear as quickly as you can. My spud bar has been invaluable this year. I know it has prevented me from falling in countless times already and is the only reason i've been able to fish as many days as i have so far.

Fishmon

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:59 AM »
Great tips and very timely.  Bottom line is "Be Careful" especially when going onto a lake/pond you are not familiar with.  One that I would  add is wear creepers/spikes.  A friend of mine years ago went onto very slick ice to put his creepers on  and took a godawful  spill.  Next stop - Emergency room to get his badly dislocated shoulder put back into place. Really short ice fishing trip. Long, painful trip to ER!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2020, 07:23 AM »
floatation isn't a  bad idea! nice  tips  guys  ....

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Hey trap,  I committed the sin.. used my trusty red white,  blue spud all day on some really decent ice well below the blue line  ( adks) and when I got home realized I left it there. Either at the guardrail or parking spot.
I'm confident though as it will still be there in am when I return. 
Thankfully,  my son will also have his spud tomorrow.
Life is good when your still on top

Lost mine two weekends ago.  I did the same thing and left it leaning on a rock wall that you have to get over to access the lake.  i went back the next day and it was either buried under snow or someone took a liking to it.  Finished up a new paracord lanyard and grip the other night on a replacement.  NOT the year to lose your spud.

westernmas on the finder

crrockwell14

« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2020, 09:46 AM »
I like to think that my bulky, heavy, ugly, rusty spud will not look desirable to those who might take it. But it is always in my sled, and has been used as much as my boots this season.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:05 PM »
Lost mine two weekends ago.  I did the same thing and left it leaning on a rock wall that you have to get over to access the lake.  i went back the next day and it was either buried under snow or someone took a liking to it.  Finished up a new paracord lanyard and grip the other night on a replacement.  NOT the year to lose your spud.

Are you using tape as a base layer then wrapping the paracord overtop? Might have to craft something up similarly on my spud. Love that grip

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:12 PM »

Are you using tap as a base layer then wrapping the paracord overtop? Might have to craft something up similarly on my spud. Love that grip

Yes, otherwise the paracord will slip down.  I usually make a bump under the tap where I want my handle to stop.  It is a simple axe handle wrap that is pretty simple to do but takes some time to tighten it all up.  You can see mine gets better the further down you go.  The tape layer does make tightening the wraps more difficult but I feel it makes it stay in place better.  The lanyard video will come up if you type in paracord lanyard into youtube.  That one is slightly more complicated but not too bad.
westernmas on the finder

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2020, 02:19 PM »

Are you using tap as a base layer then wrapping the paracord overtop? Might have to craft something up similarly on my spud. Love that grip

The paracord looks great and as mentioned you need a layer of tape underneath or it will slip. Other idea, a roll of baseball bat grip tape is cheap and goes on in a couple minutes, last forever and stays grippy when wet.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Appreciate the suggestions! If i have an old roll of baseball tape laying around i'll definitely go that. The youtube video is now que'd up the next time i need to kill a little time at work :angel

Offline Icedog40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2020, 04:54 PM »
The old timer that taught me the sport taught me to always use a spud bar! I made my own out of rebar and an old helldog chisel. If its 4" of ice or less, I use it for my holes as well! Works great for making a livewell in the ice too...

I don't go fishing without it...

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Before we could afford a cheap auger,  we ice fished using a ice chisel ( bar) to chop holes for our tip ups. 
Back then,  6 " ice was a pia to  chop holes.

Remember folks,  the spud bar has been used longer than many been fishing and for good reason.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:28 PM »
you  got  to where you  could  spud a  hole pretty quick....remember the spoon auger  those  where the  days  you  covered  your  holes and  went back and  spudded  them back open.....

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:34 PM »
spud bar definatly  saved my bacon last week on Onieda

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:22 PM »
you  got  to where you  could  spud a  hole pretty quick....remember the spoon auger  those  where the  days  you  covered  your  holes and  went back and  spudded  them back open.....
Yes sir if snow was available , stuffed full of snow and scoop out next morning , if not spud them , my spud has also saved my skinny butt more than once

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:39 PM »
spud is  your  best friend out there

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2020, 07:05 PM »
Musta just been dumb luck I have survived all these years with out a spud. Now that I have one and after the year we have had I won’t go out with out it.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:03 PM »

We had a spoon auger passed down.  I found better use in the forge than the ice use..

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:07 PM »
Great video! Thank you!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.