Author Topic: "It's going to be one of those days..."  (Read 1052 times)

Trooper Bri

"It's going to be one of those days..."
« on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:27 PM »
And with that proclamation from Kapt on the ride up to Winchester yesterday, so it was set in stone. Forgetting his phone and handheld GPS were just the beginning.

We get to the lot around 7 and realize we have the place to ourselves. High winds, a tourney at a local lake, and a schmoozy holiday make for no crowds.
So we load our crap onto the trailer, hook up the quad, and we're off to some stumps.

Kapt's new Frabill Headquarters 6-man hub came with a set of anchors. They look good, but they suck! So Kapt came up with a better plan. 1/4" lag bolts, fender washers, and some hardware. Just bring the cordless drill with a 1/2" socket, and it's Easy Street.

And to make sure that the socket didn't fall off drill by chance, he used a bunch of electrical tape. Well, somehow in the 2 days before we went fishing, the socket magically popped off in his garage.
So there we are at the end of the lake with high winds and a shanty we can't set up, holding a perfectly useless drill minus the socket.
Our buddy Mike who lives on Highland to the rescue! Made a call to see where he was, then took a ride to his house to grab a socket. We planned on calling him anyway, just not that early.  ;D

While I was gone, Kapt drilled some holes for us, then took the quad out for a ride. And proceeded to get stuck in the snowdrifts along the eastern shore. I was walking out on the ice and saw him just finishing digging the quad out by hand! LOL !! He picks me up, and off we go to get our day started (it's 9 by now).
Even turned sideways into the wind, we had no problem setting up the shack, and she was a good girl all day. I'm liking the hub shacks more and more.

Got some tipups wet, and proceeded to set up inside. Ron grabbed his Sirius boom box so we could listen to the Daytona coverage, and found that it got bumped on at some point. Dead batteries... A problem that he was prepared for though.

---Due to the stressful morning, this brief interlude that does not include details will be referred to as "Medication Time".---

After that, the day improved a bit. I was rewarded with a few quick flags. A couple 16" bass, and then a 12". Had a few chew-n-screws, and lost something nice in the stumps. Tried relocating from slow holes with zero luck.
Kapt came from behind towards the end of the day with a nice 4lb'er, followed shortly by a 3lb'er. I never get sick of the bass out of this place. They are always healthy with dark coloring.

We hit the road around 2PM. Was a total of 4 vehicles we counted when we left.
Forgot to mention: When we drove by Highland in the morning, there was only a handful in the lot. Drove by again to get the socket and it looked like the Big-E! Drove by again when we left, and there was only a few cars.

Did I mention it was windy?

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "It's going to be one of those days..."
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Congrats guys. I have hiked out there many of times and done well on the jig. :tipup:

Offline camoatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:41 PM »
I was up there last sunday with bassingtime and calicohunter and son it was like the artic .

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:42 PM »
When you get days like that you know your going to get some nice fish. Those days are few in between but when everything goes wrong for example, forgetting the battery to run the trolling motor, and trolling with a 6 horse johnson and 24 inch brown makes up for everything haha. Nice job out there.

Offline atvjumpers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I think were gonna need a bigger hole !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:44 PM »
nice

that wind was cranking in that last pic

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:46 PM »
way to make a stand against a bad day. nice job and good pics.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:04 PM »
There were a few decent snownados out there too, but I never had my camera ready.

That stuff blowing around out there is barely snow. It's just grit scoured off that top layer of crust on the ice.

I'm hosting the 8'th annual Iceholes event for CTF up there next Sunday. It's normally just a casual get together on Highland, but for the 2'nd time it's at Winchester with a tourney. Stop by and say hi if you're headed in or out. Our base camp will be at the big rock along the western shore.

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:06 PM »
nice way to salvage.  real nice fish.  sick action.
if the trout are lost, smash the state.

Offline wackemstackem5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:35 PM »
It doesn't matter when I go to Winchester it's always windy.  Those are some nice bass, I hope to hit the stumps when I get home for break.  Good Job!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.