Author Topic: Yellow Perch - Junk Fish?  (Read 19372 times)

Fishinfreak

Re: Yellow Perch - Junk Fish?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2004, 07:36 PM »
I love the taste of them so much i could eat them for breakfast,lunch and dinner.Could someone pass the jelly? :P

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2004, 07:49 PM »
boil em or fry em
Boil them unill they roll into a tight little ball and eat with a c**tail sauce or bread them with cornflakecrumbs and fry 3min 1 side flip and 2 min on the other. Enjoy You will never throw them back again
Cold Feet :P :P :P

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2004, 10:19 PM »
cold feet's:  "WORDS TO LIVE BY" :'( :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2004, 10:30 PM »
I feel sorry for the guy who lives in Maine where most of the perch are 8'' and don't pull. If you ever had the good fortune to latch a hold of a Jumbo, 12-14'', you would sing a different tune. Funny how an 8'' bass can't pull too hard but a fat 14'' can. A honker female can be challenging  to ice, as well as delicious in the pan. Nuff said.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2004, 11:08 PM »
who has a recipie for poormans shrimp? my grandpop used to make it
i know its something about perch filets and a salt brine?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2004, 04:43 AM »
I feel sorry for the guy who lives in Maine where most of the perch are 8'' and don't pull. If you ever had the good fortune to latch a hold of a Jumbo, 12-14'', you would sing a different tune. Funny how an 8'' bass can't pull too hard but a fat 14'' can. A honker female can be challenging  to ice, as well as delicious in the pan. Nuff said.
no need for sympathy van the state of maine has some of the best fishing in the country  ,just not for perch,and judging by the people i know you could double thier size and i dont think many people would care its just the local attitude yup my dad taught me ill teach my son to try it first then its perch hockey GAME ON

Offline DigJiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2004, 06:10 AM »
I agree, no need to feel sorry for those in Maine. I still would not mind retiring on Bear Pond in Turner, Maine. Not much thats better then fishing the native brookies in the brooks around there and then eatin um. 8)

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:30 AM »
There's a pond near by that has some of these Jumbo yellow perch. They just give you false excitement. You get a flag, hey it feels like a good fish, you start hawling it in, it's getting closer to the hole, your adrenalin's flowing, and pull it up thru the hole............AAAWWW it's a stinking yellow perch! you fling it across the ice, put on a new bait and start again.

Flogger

« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:47 AM »
Hee in New Hampshire, they are basically a junk fish.  Catch them by the bucket full and use them for fertilizer.  It takes two dozen worms to catch aone trout  after you catch all the yellow perch.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:23 AM »
Kenelz is right,nothing like a plate of perch.In Michigan where we are from,to talk down perch is a flogging offence and youd be lucky to get off the ice with your life :o.I just can't believe that some people consider perch trash fish ???

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:02 AM »
Yellow Perch a "Junk Fish" ?  You guys in Maine must have something nasty in the water.  Yellow perch are the best table fare!  If i was to list my favorite fish to eat the list would be... #1 yellow perch..#2 walleye...#3 a tie bluegill/northern...#4 crappie  since here in michigan those are fish we catch the most so the list gets a little fuzzy after that!  No one likes the dink perch (except for pike bait)  they can drive you nuts and when your looking for nice ones and get into the dinks you move! I don't keep perch under 8" and if I'm getting nice ones (12" +) I would not keep anything under 9"-10".  But don't start eating those perch, just tell us what lakes there in! LOL
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

grumpymoe

« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:10 AM »
alot of food experts consider the yellow perch the finest eating freshwater fish in the world. (debatable of course). i dont know of many other fish that properly prepared, that can excite the taste buds like this little morsel. grumpy

thefishinfrenzy

« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:36 AM »
are you kiddin perch rule .the only thing better than iceing big perch is eating them.!!!!!!!!
frenzy out

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:47 AM »
They are junk fish. I'd quit fishing if these were the only things I could catch to eat.

grumpymoe

« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:59 AM »
its like any other fish that anglers dislike for whatever reason. take a kid perch fishing and he's a fisherman for life. i dont understand the reasoning that perch are junk fish. grumpy

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2004, 02:36 PM »
I agree that its great when a kid is able to have an active day fishing and consequently get hooked on the sport, but I would be just content to never catch another one again. I'd hate to think of the bait they have consumed from me over the years and I have never eaten one of the buggers. I once cleaned one only to vow that I would never think of trying to eat another one again.

rrich

« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2004, 02:50 PM »
who has a recipie for poormans shrimp? my grandpop used to make it
i know its something about perch filets and a salt brine?

poormans shrimp-easy:
TAKE THE PERCH FILLETS AND ADD TO BOILING WATER WHICH CONTAINS ONE-EIGTH CUP OF TABLE SALT PER QUART OF WATER. ALLOW THE FILLETS TO COOK FOR TWO MINUTES. REMOVE IMMEDIATELY AND PUT ON ICE OR REFRIGERATE. WHEN COLD EAT YOUR "SHRIMP" WITH A GOOD COCKTAIL SAUCE AND A SQUIRT OF LEMON. ENJOY!

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2004, 03:16 PM »
to tell ya the truth I have never conciderd eating yello perch. I you even say that when fishing trout waters I hate them as they steal all my bait. Next time I'm out I'll see if i cna jig up a mess and try them out. Who know you may just convert this Maine boy.....hehe I doubt it though. ;D
Anthony

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2004, 04:17 PM »
Hey, to each his own.  I personally love perch.  Both catching and eating. 

Lot's of guys love crappies.  I can't stand the texture or flavor.  Love to catch them, but never keep them.  Same thing with pumpkinseeds and rock bass.  On the other hand, just because I don't like them I wouldn't pitch them on the ice to rot.

kero
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:17 PM »
i say they are a garbage fish all you guys should throw em back so i can catch and eat em

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:17 PM »
The most frustrating thing to me about this thread are the phrases 'junk fish' and 'garbage fish'  >:(  Whether or not you like a particular species of fish isn't reason to call them that.  I've heard of coarse fish (carp, catfish, etc) referred to the same way and yet they are a heck of a lot of fun to catch when you get into appropriate size with appropriate tackle.  On light enough tackle, any small fish can be fun to fight.

Obviously, water conditions, temp, etc. seem to play a part in how a fish from a particular locale tastes.  If you don't like it, that's fine - it doesn't bother me any.

Just stop with the fish prejudice, please.  ::)

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #51 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:47 PM »
( trout etc.that taste the same as a roll of wet toilet paper)

I take great offense to this, but I can understand. You must have stocker trout in waters where they don't belong ( a CDOW specialty to turn lakes meant for other fish into 10 " stocker trout, AKA mushfish waters). Here out west, in the waters they belong in anyway, the trout have brick red to orange meat, and most are from wild spawn. Hook onto a decent size wild trout (16" or greater) and loosen your drag and hear it scream for a minute or more. In general stockers taste like crap, fight like crap, and wild ones are awesome in both areas. Here out west the trout taste great and fight better than any other species of fish. (pike are a close second in both cases)

As for perch, I love a perch. I think walleye and perch taste exactly the same, but I prefer walleye because they are bigger. Perch don't fight that good though (even 12+" don't fight .000001% as good as a trout) but it is fun to catch 5 billion of them and then filet and eat them.

Pike are the second best eating fish behind trout IMO, they are great in recipes especially because they firm up so well. Pike also fight second to only trout. Here in colorado, pike are not considered gamefish anymore (they used to be) and our CDOW euthanizes a great deal of them and has no limit on almost all of the pike fisheries in the state. Pretty much all anglers love pike but CDOW euthanizes them and hates them anyway, just so they can turn another water too warm for trout into a dump 100,000 10" stockies a year that die in the summer and taste like poo.

I do believe the mainers that their perch taste terrible, a lot of people are being to narrow-minded about this. The fact is fishing and even fish behave completely different in different areas. Here in colorado lakers always are within a foot of the bottom in fairly deep water, and the bigger the fish the lighter the hit. In the northeast you guys fish for them shallow and suspenders and say they crush it. Hard to believe if you've never experienced something, but you should believe it nonetheless. That is one huge problem I have with in-fisherman magazine, they are too narrow-minded in how fish act.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:06 PM »
Perch are a great fish, but in some waters they can cause problems, mostly because they can reproduce so fast that they become too numerous and throw the natural balance out of whack. In waters where there are plenty or walleyes, pike, bass, catfish, or trout, they will generally be more healthy and not prone to stunting.
I really don't believe in a such thing as a "trash fish" until that fish causes a problem in a water. Even when you need to harvest these fish, you shouldn't just throw them up on the shore. At least if you must kill them, throw them back into the water so they are eaten.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

HeavyChevy

« Reply #53 on: Jan 27, 2005, 11:06 PM »
Here in michigan perch is the shiznit. Just love them actully here you get caught leaving them on the ice you get a big fat ticket.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 27, 2005, 11:25 PM »
Yellow Perch are junk fish? You guys out there that think that, I have one question for you. What do you think a walleye is? If you dont know, it is the largest member of the PERCH family. Thats right, a walleye is a PERCH.

Sorry TFB. No offense but I live in the west and have caught plenty of wild trout. I will agree that a trout is a tough fighting fish but as table fair I think they are nasty. Perch and walleye are #1 and to my surprise, no one mentioned Ling. Ling are right up there as far as fine eating fish and are my #2.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #55 on: Jan 27, 2005, 11:37 PM »

Sorry TFB. No offense but I live in the west and have caught plenty of wild trout. I will agree that a trout is a tough fighting fish but as table fair I think they are nasty.

I guess it depends on where you catch them and what they eat. If you catch trout that have been eating freshwater shrimp, or crayfish, they will be great-tasting. If they are good-sized rainbows that have been gorging on suckers, like in the colorado river, they generally aren't too good unless you keep a small one. I don't know anybody that doesn't like a brickred wild brookie, except people that don't like any fish at all. I should send you the last brick red rainbow from vega I have vacuum sealed in the freezer so it is as fresh as the day I caught it. I'd like to see you say its nasty, I really would. But I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Sorry to get off on a tangent here but when my favorite fish gets slammed  I have to talk ;D

I guess the above can go for perch as well.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2005, 12:09 AM »
oh, too funny... lmao...i will definately think of you guys the next time i get into those darn perch . in fact i have talked it over with my son ,and the next time out we are gonna jig up some "tigertrout" and try those little babies out.it should make for an adventure. so how should i cook em' folks
Scott seriously take the time to filet some they are quite easy to do and take the filets rinse them in ice cold water now take some flour add seasoning salt and some pepper and put it in a dish.Then  heat a pan with a large amount of BUTTER nothin tastes better to me than butter . Take the filets and throw em in the flour get them nice and coated put them in the hot butter and cook until golden on both sides when they are just about done cooking I like to add some more fresh pepper and a bit more of the seasoning salt.I also like a little white vinegar on it when it's steaming hot. Now you better fry up like 6 pans because they are kinda like a certain potato product that you can't eat only one. ;) ;D Leftover baked potatoes taste great sliced up and fried in butter too along with the fresh perch mmmmmm.....sounds like lunch for me tomorrow!

iceman480

« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2005, 01:40 AM »
Yellowa are awesome eating if you guys catch em ship them to me I'll be glad to take care of them for ya.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #58 on: Jan 28, 2005, 04:40 AM »
well i tried these little yellow buggers recently and they were pretty good but i just cant see directing my efforts toward these little buggers.  i prefer larger fish to catch and since i dont eat much fish ill leave them for the eagles . i will not through them back only to steal my bait again. i do just discard them on the ice for the eagles or other creatures who cant always find an easy meal underneath winters blanket. someone else already said it, to each his own but im not converting  :D  i love this topic though it always makes me chuckle

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #59 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:55 AM »
lost all respect for any fisherman that throws any fish on the ice. if you dont like them throw them back or fish where they dont bother you. Your just wasting a natural resource.
willing to learn new tactics

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.