Author Topic: The New 9:45 Thread..  (Read 231915 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The New 9:45 Thread..
« Reply #210 on: Oct 28, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Good afternoon everyone.

54 degrees a run of warmer weather coming.

Z....I used to hunt with a bigger gang here in WI for rifle season. There were 20-25 guys most days and they primarily did deer drives to  push deer out to standers. Often they would push 30-40 deer out on every drive. Not unusual in those days to make 6-8 drives a day and only see 3-4 bucks in a day.

My wife came up last night so I skipped going out this morning.

I will hit it agai this afternoon.

WS

There were a few years in the early 2000s when I was in northern MN it was like a shooting gallery. You could get 5 or 6 rifle tags at the time. I think it was 6, but maybe 5. One E/S and 4 or 5 antlerless. It had started tapering off the last couple years I was living there, so I highly doubt they hand out tags like candy up there anymore.

I'm just not on real good ground now. There are deer around, just generally not where I'm hunting. There are a bunch in a woodline along a creek about 2 miles to the northwest of the plot I hunt, but that stretch is all tied up in high dollar leases.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #211 on: Oct 28, 2022, 03:12 PM »
Im sure the auto insurance companies got in the ear of the DNR. In my area OF WI the DNR is trying to extinct the deer in my opinion.  Our zone sells the bonus tags for $12 for a resident $20 for a NR. You can buy them at a rate of 1 per day until they run out. When they went on sale a couple months ago there were 6400 or so tags available. I see now there are still 3400 or so. I knew of a couple guys that gave deer out for Christmas presents  :cookoo:

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Oct 28, 2022, 05:53 PM »
Walleye were a little shy today, perch not so much

Raquette was right, it was chilly but boy was it a beautiful sunrise

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #213 on: Oct 28, 2022, 09:37 PM »
Good evening starting to return to more seasonable temperatures today's high only in upper fifties. dropping down to a low of 33 over night so should be frost in the morning.
Ice Wanderer Sadly In-Fishermen magazine has gotten thiner and more expensive over the years. This year's tactical guide is 72 pages but among that number if a partial page advertisements. may you have been able to find a new water heater and get it installed today for your son#2's friend.
Raquettedacker guessing there will not be many plants in the green houses this Winter if you are the only staff member.
Hunts2long may you have seen deer during your time out in the woods today will look for your trip report tomorrow.
Old Goat enjoy the warmer weather while it is in your area.
Eddie to bad you will not be able to deer hunt this year. I'm guessing the wind blew some of the leaves into piles and others off of your property.
Zcm-82 I have not used the product but possibly Flex-Seal may fix your roof if you can not find tar. Enjoyed the exchange of deer hunting info. between you and Whopper Stopper. May the limb Saver pad have arrived today so your next round of load testing with the Winchester 375 is easier on your shoulder.
Drifter looks like you will be able to get on the smaller and shallower lakes in your area before to long if the extended weather forecast is correct.
Whopper Stopper thank you for the hunting story and info. on deer hunting in WI. If you got out this afternoon may you have seen one of the bucks your targeting.
IFF may you have received a settlement for your car. Did you get the pick-up truck into a garage/dealership for them to try and find source of noise you heard.
Wallyworld congratulations to both of you on another good day of fishing.

Friendly reminder early voting for the mid-term election starts tomorrow in NY> and continues until Sunday Nov.6TH things maybe be similar in other states. Since you may have to visit a polling location other then where you normally vote have ID ready,also a good idea to have numbers for voting districts from local to federal level so you receive the proper ballot.

May everyone have a good weekend. best to all fishing and hunting.
  Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #214 on: Oct 29, 2022, 04:59 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                         It's 29* and clear here on my hill. ::)
                         Wally.........Even though you didn't catch as many eyes, you still had a good day. :flex: :clap:
                         H2l............Hopeful ly with the weather change the deer was moving in your area. :unsure:
                         Eddie.........That sucks that the port will keep you out of the woods this year, hopefully it won't keep you off the ice. :whistle:
                         Marv..........Sometime s taking a morning off from hunting will let the deer settle down and move at your spot. :thumbsup:
                         Dave..........Those are some nice ice making temperatures. :flex:
                         Zcm...........Have you put the butt pad on the new rifle yet? ???
                         Bud............Is the insurance company giving you a hard time settling your claim? ???
                         Steve..........The temperatures have also returned to more seasonal ones here. Yesterday we had a good frost.
                         The water heater install went smoothly and the homeowner was thrilled to have hot water again. I came home and did leaf clean up.
              Then I had to go pick up my grandson Carson, hois sister had an appointment with an orthodontist.
                         This morning is a work day.
                         I hope everyone has a good Saturday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #215 on: Oct 29, 2022, 05:15 AM »
Great job Pat. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steve there are about ten thousand plants. And probably starting another 1000 this week..

Everyone have a great Saturday…
Off to put wood in the boiler so the plants stay warm..

Dom✌️
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Oct 29, 2022, 05:39 AM »
31* this morning.

WW, another great trip.

WS, I grew up making deer drives, but on a smaller scale. Usually 8/10 guys, but we were not the only ones. I remember the gang doing well in the late 50's but by the time I got home from the Navy (65) the deer herd was pretty well thinned out, took a lot years to recover.

Speaking of hunting; spent about 6 hours in the woods on Friday, no deer.

Last night I checked my alarm clock to make sure it was working right, it was, it went off 1 hour later than I wanted it to. Not going to rush to get into the woods, "Who knows?"

Hope everyone has a good day and be well....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #217 on: Oct 29, 2022, 05:57 AM »
Good Morning Jeff, Morning Everyone,
  Frost on the pumpkin here again this am.. clear and 30* with a high of 57 today.  Nice to see the site picking up steam again, welcome back everyone!   :clap: :icefish:

Jeff…glad all went went well with the project yesterday and you got to spend some time with Carson, way to go Grandpa!  ;D  Hope today is an easy project and you won’t be wading in the lake doing dock removal.  :thumbsup:  I’m keeping the fingers crossed right now on the ice season Jeff.  :tipup:
  Steve…thanks for the heads-ups on the IF magazine. Seems to be the way each year with more advertising than good reading material unfortunately.  :-\   
  Wally…CONGRATULATIONS to Team WW again on another good outing!   :clap: :flex:  Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!!  :thumbsup: 
  Marv…good luck this morning, hoping you both weren’t woken up by the scratching sounds of Yogi visiting early this am!  :thumbsup:  ;D. Will be on standby by again today, hopefully today is the day you’ve been waiting for!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  Z…congratulations on your prizes and best of luck with them this season!   :clap: :icefish:  Hope the shoulder is recovering from that canon practice session!  ;D
  Dave…thanks for the extended forecast, wow!! Things are going to happen fast up there over the next week!!  :woot:
Curious question…what’s the price on heating oil now up there in your area?
  Dom…thank you, hope you’re not having too much difficulty keeping up with the greenhouse’s by yourself!  :thumbsup:
  H2…good luck this morning, will be looking forward to your report!   :thumbsup:

Believe my son was heading out for another round with his bow this morning, should be getting a message shortly from him..nice morning here, crisp air and no wind.
  Another one of those not much on the planner days at the moment…Cawfee’s on!
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #218 on: Oct 29, 2022, 08:20 AM »
Morning all,

WS/H2L......hope you both get THE shot today   ;)2

MrC....mornings are definitely feeling like fall here lately   :icefish: can't be far away

Eddie...fingers crossed your son has a successful morning   ;)

IW.....hope the work day goes well  :flex:

Another chilly start to the what should be a beautiful fall day, thinking leaf clean up  @)

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Oct 29, 2022, 10:01 AM »
Good morning everyone, 43* here now was in the 30s earlier. Not much on the planner today. Have to install a new headlight in my wife’s car. Should have changed both when I changed the passenger side. Have to find a radiator leak on the Jeep. Need my wife to help as my fingers don’t grip very well. Headache is still bad.

Hunts2long, Hope you have a good day in the woods.

Ice Wanderer, Glad you got to spend time with Carlson.

WallyWorld, congratulations on a great day on the water. Good luck with the leaves today.

MasonEddie, Good luck to your son today.

Whopper Stopper, Good luck today.

Raquettedacker, What type of plants do you have in your greenhouses? How long will it take to plant 1000 plants?

I hope everyone has a great day and tight lines to those on the water and a safe day in the woods.

Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #220 on: Oct 29, 2022, 04:07 PM »
Good afternoon everyone  :bow:

It's prit near 70 degrees with a fairly stiff south wind.

Somewhat slow day today. I sat in a different stand this morning based on the wind and only saw two deer.

I decided to head to the far end of my property for the afternoon sit. I was only on stand for 1/2 hour before a little one came along and decided to hang out with me. As I am writing this it is taking a nap below me stand. Nothing like a live confidence decoy lol

Camera cards were checked at noon and most activity is midnight to 4am. I am hoping the weather cools off some but it doesn't sound promising.

I had A text from the old lady from a couple weeks back. The one that pulled the rope for me that said she weighed 200# and had oatmeal for breakfast. She was wondering if I could help her cut 3 little trees down. Come to find out she bought a small chainsaw and can't get it started   :roflmao: I told her that I am closed for the season but technically being she was the second to the last job I would grandfather her in if she could wait a couple weeks. She said no problem she will be waiting.

Back to being laser focused.

Hope you all are having a good Saturday.

WS

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Oct 29, 2022, 05:48 PM »
Good afternoon everyone  :bow:

It's prit near 70 degrees with a fairly stiff south wind.

Somewhat slow day today. I sat in a different stand this morning based on the wind and only saw two deer.

I decided to head to the far end of my property for the afternoon sit. I was only on stand for 1/2 hour before a little one came along and decided to hang out with me. As I am writing this it is taking a nap below me stand. Nothing like a live confidence decoy lol

Camera cards were checked at noon and most activity is midnight to 4am. I am hoping the weather cools off some but it doesn't sound promising.

I had A text from the old lady from a couple weeks back. The one that pulled the rope for me that said she weighed 200# and had oatmeal for breakfast. She was wondering if I could help her cut 3 little trees down. Come to find out she bought a small chainsaw and can't get it started   :roflmao: I told her that I am closed for the season but technically being she was the second to the last job I would grandfather her in if she could wait a couple weeks. She said no problem she will be waiting.

Back to being laser focused.

Hope you all are having a good Saturday.

WS

At least you had company today.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #222 on: Oct 29, 2022, 08:05 PM »
At least you had company today.

Lol. And eventually 9 others came to visit but unfortunately all bald. :%$#!:

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #223 on: Oct 29, 2022, 09:22 PM »
Good evening foggy start to the day but by late morning things had cleared high was around sixty.
Ice Wanderer good to read you had no problems installing the new hot water heater . You had a busy Friday between the water heater,leaf clean-up and watching Carson.
Raquettedacker thank you for answering my question ,that number of plants will keep you busy through the Winter months.
Hunts2long soory to hear you did not see any deer yesterday. may things be better next time you head out.
Eddie I have also noticed the increased activity here on Ice Shanty.  I hope your son had a good day out hunting.
Wallyworld may you be near the end of leaf clean-up .
Icefisher-45 may you have the headlight replaced on your wife's car. may you have located where the Jeep radiator is leaking. Hopefully will not be an expensive repair.
Whopper Stopper sounds like there is a good number of does visiting your property hopeffully some big bucks will follow them and give you a shot. Interesting story with the fawn.
Fish/hunt4ever if you are still on the mountain may you be seeing elk and been able to get close enough to take a shot.

Have a good night. Stay safe and healthy.
 Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #224 on: Oct 30, 2022, 04:34 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                            It's 40* and clear here on my hill. ::)
                            Marv.......You have way too many Does there, did you have a Doe season to maybe thin out the heard. :unsure: Good job letting the woman
                   have some of you time.  :flex:
                            H2l.........I hope you see some deer today, if you're heading out.  :thumbsup: Good luck tonight on the lanes. :flex:
                            Wally.......I don't have any leaves left on the trees that in my yard but the trees around the edges, Beech Trees are still holding leaves. :%$#!:
                            I-45........I Hope you and your wife were able to get the head light changed. :unsure:
                            Eddie......Yesterday there was a heavy frost on the pumpkin here as well. :whistle: Hopefully things will work out for you, we stll have to meet
                   up on the ice. ;)2
                           Bud..........We haven't heard much from you, How is everything going down on the farm? ???
                           Yesterday was leaf clean up at work, we did 2 big places. Today we have to pull a float in and install a bubbler around the dock.
                           I hope everyone has a good Sunday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Oct 30, 2022, 04:47 AM »

Good morning IW ER's nice job replacing the water heater. Marv hope one of those big bucks shows itself again. Mason have been working around the house lately so not anything bought however CL has many good deals on ice fishing stuff if you keep searching. These prices will go up closer to first ice.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #226 on: Oct 30, 2022, 04:53 AM »
34* and heavy frost.

Talked to the guy that hunts across the river from me, he is not seeing anything and nothing on his trail cameras. Like me he has only seen 1 doe while hunting.

Going out for a couple hours this morning.

Have good day and stay welll...h2l

Amber and her boy friend went to Salem, Mass. for a couple days. They had a good time and the weather was great.
Northville, NY

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #227 on: Oct 30, 2022, 05:50 AM »
Morning all.  29* and frosty..
  Just a quick hello.
Marv and Doug good luck today..
 Jeff have fun playing in the water. ;D
Everyone else have a great day..
  Dom✌️

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #228 on: Oct 30, 2022, 05:55 AM »
Oh and I thought this was pretty cool..

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Oct 30, 2022, 06:26 AM »
Good Morning Everyone, 31* here this morning. My wife is home today. Not much on the planner today. We got the headlight installed. Those bulbs are a pain to replace with arthritic hands. Found a loose hose in the Jeep so hoping that was the issue.

Whopper Stopper, Good luck today. Maybe your little buddy will come back.

Hunts2long, Good luck in the woods today and at bowling tonight.

Ice Wanderer, Hopefully you don’t get to wet today.

I hope everyone has a great day and a safe one.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #230 on: Oct 30, 2022, 06:31 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Clear and 30* on the Hill this am, another beautiful Fall day coming with a high in the upper 50’s.

H2…hope you get to put the scope on one this morning, best of luck and a good night on the lanes as well.  :thumbsup:
  OG..good luck catching up on the to do list!  :thumbsup: 
  Jeff…Thank you, hope today’s projects go well for you fellas!  :thumbsup:  Have some goals I intend on trying to make happen this season…meeting up with you on the ice sits high on the list!  :icefish:
  Steve…the opportunity presented itself yesterday for my son, he had a small 4 pointer come in slightly over 20yds…he took a pass on it which brought a smile to my face. It wasn’t the one he’s been putting time in for..he shot it with his phone camera though and sent me a video which was pretty awesome!   :clap: :thumbsup:
  Marv…thanks for the daily updates and letting us tag along!  :bow:  My son is seeing similar movements on his cameras, wee hours of the morning with the bigger bucks making their rounds. Glad you’re having action each day, it’s only a matter of time before those does have company…best of luck with today’s adventure!!  :clap: :thumbsup:
  I-45…glad the headlight fix went well for you and you were able to locate the radiator leak.   :thumbsup:  :clap:
  Wally…getting closer now to the last of the leaf cleanup, hopefully..lol. Might be a good day for another ride if that’s on your planner before putting the trike away for the season?   :thumbsup:

Today is carve the pumpkins day here for the family, looking forward to that and seeing the creative faces that will be designed. Not to mention roasting some seeds!  ;D
  Sloppy Joe’s and a large pot of chicken noodle soup on the get together menu today…can’t go wrong with that one, lol.
  Cawfee’s still on…
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Dom.. what a cool picture, thanks for sharing that!! I will share that later on with the family!!  :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #231 on: Oct 30, 2022, 06:42 AM »
This one is more clear.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Oct 30, 2022, 07:07 AM »
Morning all,

Raquette.....that farmer has too much time on his hands  :roflmao:

WS.....fingers crossed Bambi's Dad shows up today  :whistle:  enjoy your time with your brother   :)

H2L.....good luck today in the woods and the alley  ;)

IW.....hopefully no one gets dunked today  :pinch:

Eddie....have fun with the family carve fest  :thumbsup:

OG.....those fall to do lists can seem never ending at times  ::)

IF45....hopefully the loose hose was the problem   :-\

MrC....there will be 1 final leaf clean up/lawn mowing yet  :flex:

IFF/TT.....hope all is good with you both  ;)2

Speaking of to do lists, window washing on the list here today (not my favorite past time)  :blink:

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #233 on: Oct 30, 2022, 08:06 AM »
31* to start the day, I haven't looked to see how much frost there is as it is still too dark at 8 am.

ZCM You need to get a lead sled to sight in your guns. It takes most of the kick out of the gun. I bought one cheap at a garage sale once. It really helped. Being a dummy I sold it. I should have given it to my lifetime hunting buddy that reloads for me. The shooting rest he has is not stable.

Steve Flex seal is crap. It does not stay as it cracks. The only thing I buy is winter wet tar as it is easier to use and stays put.

My grandson sent me the picture of the 7-point hs shot yesterday morning. He had the inner jacket of the brown camo I gave him on. I do not know if was for a photo op or if he actually had it on in his tree stand. He has not seen that big wide buck. He has plenty of time to get it as he can hunt deer until New Year. We have a  15 day firearms deer season starting on Nov 15th through the month then all of December for bow hunting.

Eddie I thnk you mentioned a while ago having a gun that had a recall about the firing pin. Was it a model 100 Winchester? I had a 308 at that time. It was sent to Winchester to have it fixed. I now have one in 284 that has not had the firing pin changed. My grandson will have to worry about it as he is going to inherit it as I think I am done deer hunting.

They are trying to get daylight savings time year around here. We had it one year. It was hard for anyone in construction to have to carry around lights in the morning to see to work. It was alright for those working where they had well-lit places to work. I was told to go to work later. No way as i would miss my sons after school activities.

Don't get me talking about leaves. We had a big blow the other night. Oak leaves were blown out of the trees across the road. They landed in the backyard. That is over 120 feet away

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #234 on: Oct 30, 2022, 08:37 AM »
tt- I've used a lead sled before, cracked a stock with it, too :pinch: Once I get the recoil pad on it shouldn't be terrible. That hard plate on there just bites me really badly. I agree on Flex Seal. I have tried it a couple times, and it works, but not for very long on anything that is out in the sun much.  I got a bucket of tar yesterday, so I'll be getting up there to slop some on over the leaks in a bit. Guess I'll have to do the whole garage roof again in the spring. I didn't do it this year.

h2l - I didn't even put my cams out this year, so it'll just be a surprise if I see anything this season  :roflmao:

IW - not yet, it's still not here... gotta love speedy delivery  ::)

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Oct 30, 2022, 09:30 AM »
No deer this morning, about 7:10 did see a bear out in front of me. Only the 2nd time in all the years I have hunted that I saw a bear while I was setting. About 8:00 had a coyote come from behind me at a steady trot, couldn't get a shot at it....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #236 on: Oct 30, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Well been an interesting week, we got my dad one on Thursday and I hit one yesterday but could not catch up as I pulled really low and hit him low in the front leg and he took off to the next drainage and did not slow down any. So I guess that is a wrap up here and now to see if the weather pushes any down to the low lands to take a cow for the wife and I, but at least we have meat from the 2 we got the kids this year. Oh and found a old cabin back in the drainage we chased elk in I think it was 9 miles back in on horses to this spot.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #237 on: Oct 30, 2022, 09:42 AM »
Great job fish and awesome pictures.
 Thanks for sharing..👍👍

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #238 on: Oct 30, 2022, 11:24 AM »
 Good day everyone  :bow:

Sunshine and warming up.

I decided to come back to the shack for a bit. This morning was very quiet with 0 deer spotted. I did see a couple new scrapes, not sure what to think.

IW...you are correct on there being too many does. My main stand is Inbetween a large bedding area and a big corn field. I know some of the does are the same ones and of course the little one that visits is the same.

Speaking of the little buddy. For whatever reason it comes to that spot I'm at about 2:15pm. When its mom shows up at 4:45 the little one goes ape $@#! bananas running around then plows into her head  first for some milk, sucking for all its worth. Of the 3x it's done this the camera has missed it each time. The doe lets it suck for about 30 seconds then she breaks away and when the runt tries again she cracks it with her front feet ending the smorgasbord.

Well, time for a sandwich then off to the back stand.

Hope everyone is having a good day.....WW, check for streaks ;D

WS

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #239 on: Oct 30, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Just when the deer should be coming  :%$#!:

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.