Author Topic: Tip up fishing and attacked by a pike  (Read 8938 times)

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up fishing and attacked by a pike
« on: Dec 17, 2006, 09:40 PM »
So the ice was sorta sketchy on the lake, so I decided to take some tipups and try a good spot for northerns early season. Only used 3 flags, but it kept me running/sliding back and forth. Ended up taking two 28-30 inchers. Theres only 2.5-3 feet of water there so I was expecting anything else except pikes, but I was wrong. Also I learned to never jam my hand into a northerns mouth. It had its mouth open for a good 5 min. so i decided to try taking the hook out. well what do u know right when I put my fingers in there it chomped down. Pic could be a little nasty for some but its not to bad. Enjoy.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip up fishing and attacked by a pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2006, 10:34 PM »
That looks painfull. Nice fish. What kind of fish is that prehistoric eel one?
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Homey
THAT is a burbot ( a.k.a. the Rodney Dangerfield Fish). 
They are a lot of fun cause they put up a great fight under the ice. 
They're slimy like a catfish.
But mostly they're DELICIOUS.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2006, 11:02 PM »
Been there and done that with the pike teeth... never learn my lesson. LOL.

That last fish is a Bowfin and not a ling/eelpout/burbot as stated.  Would love to catch one, heard they are a nasty fighter.

Don

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2006, 11:22 PM »
D'oh, guess I need to look a little more before typing.

Bucket, you are correct sir.  The pelvic fins and anal fin are a dead giveaway.

Bowfin are also great fighters but are NOT delicious.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2006, 11:30 AM »
Man we call Pike "Toothies" for a reason!

Great pics! 

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Hope you get the last laugh when you bite into him with a little butter and garlic.

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Hope you get the last laugh when you bite into him with a little butter and garlic.

Definitely. I'm not sure if that fish is called a bowfin or whatever. the people in Wisconsin and me call them dogfish.

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:53 PM »
Dogfish, Huh? Is it because they sniff your crotch and hump your leg when you catch one? :o

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Dogfish, Huh? Is it because they sniff your crotch and hump your leg when you catch one? :o

Hahaha im not sure why they call them that but thats what we do.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:58 PM »
those are some really good looking fish, I like the looks of that lake
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2006, 05:19 PM »
the name is bowfin, but the "aka" is dogfish as they can "bark" when out of water. so yes is is a dogfish and bowfin.   They are horrible to eat, but fight hard and are good fertilizer... lol they are bad on the fish population

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Yea they do bark. When i pulled it out it started talking to me. It fought pretty good actually but I put it back in unlike most people from around here. I liked the fish so I couldnt cause it harm haha.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2006, 05:32 PM »
the name is bowfin, but the "aka" is dogfish as they can "bark" when out of water. so yes is is a dogfish and bowfin.   They are horrible to eat, but fight hard and are good fertilizer... lol they are bad on the fish population

Those things can live out of water for days, as long as they don't dry out. Helluva fighter too, bet that was allot of fun to catch. I have heard them "bark", they gulp air off of the surface when the water quality gets too poor. They really make a ruckus when a few of them get going. I would say they are the roughest of the rough fish. I have seen cats refuse to eat them. :sick:

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2006, 05:56 PM »

haha, bad for the population, these Bowfin have been around since waaaaaay before any other fish your angling, all of the other species are going to have to learn to deal with it. I highly doubt that bowfin are bad for the population seeing as how they've been part of it for millions of years.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:03 PM »
great pics...

so basically i just gotta move one state over to fish a bit sooner...hmmmmm

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I think they look really cool, the tail expecially.

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Hahaha im not sure why they call them that but thats what we do.

I don't know if I really want to know but, Clarification please ;D

PWR BAIT

« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:45 PM »
thats a bow fin alright very ugly sharpteeth and a tough fish at that nice catch.

Offline krappie_king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie anyone?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 PM »
So the ice was sorta sketchy on the lake, so I decided to take some tipups and try a good spot for northerns early season. Only used 3 flags, but it kept me running/sliding back and forth. Ended up taking two 28-30 inchers. Theres only 2.5-3 feet of water there so I was expecting anything else except pikes, but I was wrong. Also I learned to never jam my hand into a northerns mouth. It had its mouth open for a good 5 min. so i decided to try taking the hook out. well what do u know right when I put my fingers in there it chomped down. Pic could be a little nasty for some but its not to bad. Enjoy.

You weren't attacked , you stuck your hand in his mouth.  I was attacked. My hand was a good 8" from his face , and the bugger jumped up and bit my thumb. But I must congratulate you on your toothies. Wish I could get out on the ice and get some.
Hello, you have reached John. I am currently fishing. Leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as Ice fishing becomes an olympic sport.

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Homey
THAT is a burbot ( a.k.a. the Rodney Dangerfield Fish). 
They are a lot of fun cause they put up a great fight under the ice. 
They're slimy like a catfish.
But mostly they're DELICIOUS.

not a burbot it is a bowfin aka dogfish

Offline paullytip-up

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing is not a hobby, its a way of life
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:18 AM »
Your lake reminds me very much of one i'm used to fishing, i'm very jealous you can walk on yours!!!
Nice pics and nice fish!  those bowfins fight like crazy i know, very fun to catch!

Offline umsmallies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:40 PM »
haha, bad for the population, these Bowfin have been around since waaaaaay before any other fish your angling, all of the other species are going to have to learn to deal with it. I highly doubt that bowfin are bad for the population seeing as how they've been part of it for millions of years.

~Neal

Exactly right. Definatly NOT an invasive species. They do look cool don't they?. I've seen pics of bowfins caught around that were albino and also jet black. A pretty sweet creature for sure, and a very hard fight in any water, hard or soft.

Joe

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:11 AM »
My grandpa had a big pike flop across the floor of his boat and bite his ankle pretty bad a couple of years back.

Pike are like snakes- they can be next to dead and the nerve reflexes will make them chomp down. Lesson learned eh?

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Definitely. I'm not sure if that fish is called a bowfin or whatever. the people in Wisconsin and me call them dogfish.

Nice Pics. About 15 years ago, me and some friends were shore fishing on Lake Puckaway in Green Lake Co. and I caught one of those dogfish. Those fish are STRONG, man that was a great fight. I was like, what the @#$% is this thing when I got it in, I was expecting one of those Puckaway monster pike. It was quite the discussion on what the heck it was, until we asked the guy who ran the cabins we were staying in. He said they called them dogfish because if they lay out of the water for awile they make a barking noise. Ill bet those are fun to catch on a tip-up! As for the fingers, I can relate, my brother hooked a 43" muskie when we were bass fishing and our net wasn't big enough so after he tired it out, I grabbed it by the gill plate......  :cookoo: got it in the boat but bled for hours!!
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:13 PM »
ouch :tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Yea basically any fish that has teeth hurts when it bites you.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:38 AM »
bowfin are great for eating small panfish.  good predator in the lake.  they absolutely love small gills under a bobber, put up a helluva fight too
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Had a buddy who brought his dog out on the ice two years ago and i landed an 11 lb pike on a tip up.  Needless to say that the dog got a little to curious when the fish was landed and on the ice.  Never heard a dog yelp that loud before.  His nose was ok but the pike wanted more i think.  Just goes to show that pike are not to be taken lightly.  Their saliva can actually killl you, depending on the person, if wound goes untreated. It can become infected a lot faster than a normal cut and gets into your blood stream which can go strait to your heart.  Happy hunting
Fish when I can

Offline krappie_king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie anyone?
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2006, 02:49 AM »
I grabbed it by the gill plate......  :cookoo: got it in the boat but bled for hours!!

From what I have been told they have bones under their gill plates that you can just as easily cut yourself on. Bleeding for hours is an understatement, I want to find the pic with the fish that bit me. There was lots of blood, and I don't think any came from the fish. :D
Hello, you have reached John. I am currently fishing. Leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as Ice fishing becomes an olympic sport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.