Author Topic: Wood Ice Rod Handle  (Read 1978 times)

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Wood Ice Rod Handle
« on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:58 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a source for wood ice rod handles?  Jann’s Netcraft has these, http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ice-rod-parts/920202.aspx, which I will likely go with but I’m curious what else is out there.  These will be used for a cub scout project so I'm looking for something that is low cost and rugged.

Thanks!

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wood Ice Rod Handle
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2016, 01:36 PM »
Classic design and the price appears to be right.  Given that it is for a scout project, you might want to consider contacting JNC and see if they will give you a discount on your building materials.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2016, 01:43 PM »
Ever hear of the Green Hornet?! The perfect project for kids.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a source for wood ice rod handles?  Jann’s Netcraft has these, http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ice-rod-parts/920202.aspx, which I will likely go with but I’m curious what else is out there.  These will be used for a cub scout project so I'm looking for something that is low cost and rugged.

Thanks!

Wood dowels like 12 to 15 inches of 1 to 1.5 inch wood dowel then add some liNE holders to it of like .25 inch wood dowels 6 inches apart then add in the rod blank you like you can use those white blanks or use a 3/8 to 5/16inch wood dowel as the blank add a eye bolt to the end for the line to go threw.. so you can jig it like a rod tip.. wrap the line holder with mono and go fishing..

there is also a jigging stick I have made I will post a picture of soon..you can cut out with a jig saw or scroll saw and drill a hole for the eye wind line on it and your good to go.. I think some one called them jiggler sticks also know for presenting spearing decoys.. will try to get a picture real quick will have to find what I did with it..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Like a jigging stick like so..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2016, 03:04 PM »
If you do go with the white glass rods you can make ice rod holders out of milk crates a piece of 1x2 furring strip screwed to one edge of a milk crate with vee's cut in it to accept the rods and organize the milk crate..  my brother made his in boy scouts years apon years ago. Then you can throw the crate in the sled and keep the rods organized..

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I built my one ice rod using one these handles from this guy. I went with walnut for mine but the next time I build another ice rod I am going to use a cedar handle instead.

He asks $10.00 per handle.

http://www.archiescustomfishinghandles.com/ice.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I'll be going with the one from Jann's.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01:52 PM »
the ones from Janns are by far the best option you're looking for...nice find, great handle.  Are you making tip downs or jigging rods for the kids?  Could show them both...a lot of info on this site and internet on tip down designs.  Have a contest within the group (pack) to see who comes up with the best tip down design (great son/dad) project.  Plastic reels are fairly cheap and effective to add on as well.  Good luck.  Nice job!
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.