Author Topic: wood burning stove for a hub style shack???  (Read 7453 times)

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
wood burning stove for a hub style shack???
« on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Has anybody tried this I am curious if it is even possible to make a small one for my shack??? Any thoughts
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wood burning stove for a hub style shack???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I would strongly advise against this, as the smoke and fumes would be a huge risk...do yourself a favour and invest in a buddy heater.

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:27 PM »
not to mention the flame lol

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Poof...no eye brows!!! Not to mention smoke inhalation
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Not sure where to look but people have turned their buddy heaters into a cooker of some sort. If you are looking into heating up some meals I would go that route.

Offline Raynestorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Last year someone on here made one. Turned out nice.  It's similar to a pole tent wood stove, so not sure why people are negative towards it?

Try searching for it, I don't remember the title of it.  He used it for hunting and fishing

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Didn't think it got cold enough up there for a heater!  :) :)

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:41 PM »
I would have it vented to go outside.  It would be no different then in a hard wall shack would it not??
Tight lines and big fish

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I did some research on it & it has been done before so I am going to give it a shot this year.  Picked up one of the smaller military stoves & I am going to install a jack in my 6x12 hub & vent it out with 4" stove pipe.  Have some light-weight fire retardant material that my dad has left over from a few of his tent & awning jobs & I am going to use it line the inside wall where the stove is going to be along with the outside where the stove pipe runs out.  I got a Buddy heater & also tried the double sunflower, but it just doesn't quite do the job to knock the chill off here.  Guess I will find out how it works.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:57 PM »
I think it could be done.  They do this in wall tents all the time.  A woodstove would be a hell of a lot better than a buddy heater.  I love my buddy heater, but wouldn't miss the condensation if I had a wood stove.  The main problem I see is the fabric in a hub style shanty is probably some kind of flammable nylon.  Wall tents are canvas.  There is also some kind of non-flammable reflective material that goes around the hole for the chimney.  I have actually seen a wall tent on the ice with a wood stove.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Try removing a window (mine is velcroed) and replacing with some aluminum sheeting.  Cut a hole in the aluminum sheeting to accept a 3" stove pipe.  Take a look on YouTube and build an ammo can wood stove.  Vent the stove out the aluminum sheeting.  Burning fuel logs will keep you nice and toasty.  I use the interlocking 2x2 squares for a floor which insulates the ice from the heat.  This set up works very well.  It produces nice dry heat, remember a by product of burning propane is water vapor and CO2.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:12 PM »
if you go the wood burner route, get a battery powered CO detector and use it

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:26 PM »
if you go the wood burner route, get a battery powered CO detector and use it

This goes for propane fueled heat as well.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:50 PM »
This goes for propane fueled heat as well.

low o2 cutoff on the Buddy heaters is nice...I keep all vents and a window half open anyhow

Catchin' Fish

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:09 PM »
I put a small wood stove in my quick fish 6 and it works great. I made a two circles of 1/4" plywood using hole saws so I have an 1" circle of wood that allows 1/4" from the stove pipe to the wood. I installed it using saw screws in the roof of the shelter, then used a soldering iron to melt the hole out of the middle. This also served to stop future fraying kind of like melting the end of a nylon rope. I covered the plywood "boot" with high temp silicone and put a generous coat on the edges nearest the pipe. I also made a small platform to place under the stove and covered it with aluminum to reflect the heat. It takes very little wood to keep the hut hot and I can cook on it as well. I ordered the stove from Amazon and all the parts nest together so it is easy to haul out on the ice.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:57 PM »
low o2 cutoff on the Buddy heaters is nice...I keep all vents and a window half open anyhow

Only if they work like they should & don't malfunction.

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:21 PM »
I've used a small wood burner in both flip ups and pop ups. I made it out of a mailbox! Put legs on it, a false bottom (to prevent burnout), and a chimney stump for a 3" pipe. I made a chimney jack by cutting a hole in the ceiling, and then made 2 1/8" plywood "donuts" about 9"Dia. the inner dia. was about 4- 41/2", and I made another donut out of 1/2" hardware cloth, with the inner dia of it right at 3". I placed the hdwr cloth in between the wood donuts (on goes inside, and one outside) and screwed them together w/ pan head screws. This way, when the hot chimney goes through the ceiling, the hdrw cloth keeps a 1/2" open vent space between it and the wood donuts. I NEVER had any melting or heat pblms. w/ this setup in 30 yrs!!!

If it is really cold where you are at, I recommend that you "rig" an air intake from the outside to just under the stove. What this does is draw "burnable" air from the cold outside, rather than burning up your warm, inside air. If you choose not to rig this, you will find ice cold air intakes through every crack in your tent!

Early on, I had this setup in a homemade softside w/ a wood bottom. I would even let the stove keep going, even when I pulled it around to the next spot, and never had any problems!

You WILL get the occasional "spark" that will land on your tent, that will make a small hole, but I never had anything larger than a pin head hole form.

Now, after all that, I must say that I now use a buddy heater. I is SO MUCH more convenient, &  it is a consistent heat. The one major drawback of propane (that I'm still working on solving) is the condensation it creates. When it is super cold, it just forms frost on the inside of the tent, and when you take it down, the frost just falls off. When it isn't super cold, however, it rains inside all day!!! The insulated tents don't have rain, but if you read around here, every person that has them (requires they be taken inside each time to dry out). Which tells me the insulation is just acting as a sponge, and NOT preventing the condensation.

If I can't solve the condensation problem, I'm going to a direct vented stove. They are a bit heavy, but they are 80% efficient, and the combustion is vented outside, so there will be NO condensation inside!!!

Not sure this helps, but I've tried just about every configuration there is to see what works, and how well. As you can see, I'm still at it ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:22 PM »
I may be wrong and this is definitely worth looking into.  I think I read on an IS post a couple of years ago that the low o2 sensors on Buddy Heaters are fail proof.  I'm not sure how though.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Dapos, you can rig an air intake with a short section of pvc pipe under the wall, directly behind the stove.  I thought about doing this with my buddy heater.

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Dapos, you can rig an air intake with a short section of pvc pipe under the wall, directly behind the stove.  I thought about doing this with my buddy heater.

You are exactly right gator.....that's what I was trying to describe, just couldn't find the right way!!! Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:48 AM »
There is some good ideas on here to make this for my shack, thanks guys.
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Why would someone want to add the inconvenience of hauling wood and dealing with smoke all day.  I could see in a permy, but a hub?  Hubs are designed to be convenient and this "mod" seems to go against all they stand for. Just get a big buddy heater and call it a day.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:37 AM »
I burn wood in my small hard side not really much inconvenience when you drive your truck or snowmobile right out to your fishing spot. Nothing beats wood heat. I can heat all day with about a 5 gallon bucket full of small cut wood.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:57 PM »
I enjoy the smell of wood smoke on the ice.  Much better than having my eyes burn from using my big buddy.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I enjoy the smell of wood smoke on the ice.  Much better than having my eyes burn from using my big buddy.

Just sounds like a big inconvenience in a hub style shanty.  I'm probably alone on this, thats fine. I would be interested in seeing some pics of your mod to your hub.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:15 PM »
It would be a big inconvenience if you had to pull it all out on the ice by hand. If you are driving out in a truck its no big deal.

Tinker

« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Check out the Kifaru site.  They make a synthetic teepee tent that uses a wood stove.  They are doing some pretty neat things with titanium collapsible wood stoves and a different approach to the stove pipe as well.  Not cheap but if you are packing it this may be just what your looking for, or maybe it will give you some ideas.  I have always wanted to go the route of a wood stove even if I have to pull it out by hand.  I'm already packing an 11 lb propane tank and big buddy heater, the only negative I really see is mobility with the stove cooling and setting back up.  I agree nothing beats wood heat, love my wood stove in the house when i get home from a long day fishing or in the woods.

Offline SKaquaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:01 PM »
It definitely sucks having the inside dripping wet with condensation and then having to set it up inside a heated shop to dry it out.  The dry heat of wood is definitely nice, does anyone have any pictures of the mods that they've done to their hubs to accept wood heat, or any pics of the stove set-ups that they're using?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.