Author Topic: Wood heat In its own box ??  (Read 1361 times)

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
Wood heat In its own box ??
« on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:35 PM »
OK i wasn't sure how to put it but here you are reading it.

I have this 5x6 shack i built. And i have an old Nu-way wood heater. Its been through hell. But i hammered out the big dents and i'm left with a stove that works fine. But is ugly. I want to use it on the shack but i need all the real estate i can get. So i was thinking about putting it in its own box on the side of the shack. That way i can vent it straight up. It would be connected on the inside. Kinda like this

-------------------------------------
|                                             |
------        -------------------------
      [  {}  ]
      --------

Whats your take ? Im also trying to keep it safe as can be with my daughter. Shes 2 yrs old.

Oh also would pellet stove pipe work ?? I cant find 3 inch pipe that wont break the bank.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Wood heat In its own box ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:45 PM »
My only concerns would be proper airflow/venting for the heater, and of course you will have a batt powered CO detector with a little one on board....
With sheetmetal behind/around the stove, and proper spacing from the walls, as in temp concerns, you should be fine...
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2011, 10:51 PM »
I was going to do a dura rock airspace around it, On all 4 sides.  As for venting im thinking about the hole in the roof would be a little largerthan the pipe and have a coller around it to keep rain/snow out. That way it could suck air in and the stack would be high enuf to keep smoke out.

A co detector is a must.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2011, 11:22 PM »
I do quite a few wood stove installs in my line of work and what you describe will work fine I suggest a 1 inch air gap betwwen the wall and the backside of the dura-rock or for lighter reasons hardi-board. I would then "wrap" a piece of tin over the dura-roch with ribs towards the dura-rock so in a sense you have two 1inch airgaps. You can get the stove to within 8" from the back and a little more on the sides. I would not use a chimney cap so you can get as much draft as possible. I would put a fan of sorts in the upper inner corner of the bump out. And it you wanted a twist fresh air intake somewhere low High in the shack. I think youd be fine with no freshair intake as the holes in the floor and the gaps in the shack will be fine. On a side note if you ever have issues starting it just crack your shack door for a few with the damper open.

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:25 AM »
If it were me, I would build the stove bump out on the end wall as to free up more area on the side walls ! Just my .02

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:32 AM »
i have a converted popup camper as a bobhouse. i also didnt want to lose any space so i decided to make a bumpout at the tongue. woodstove is homemadem with a propane tank and ash pan. here is a pic hope it helps.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:46 AM »
I prefer to stay away from wood also, only because I like to spend more time fishing and less time stokin the fire.
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Have you ever been inside s shanty heated by a wood stove ?? Its the best of all wolds. Plus when has the fishing been so great you could'nt spend 30 sec stoking a fire?

Im going with the  bump out. The stack is only going to be 3 sections high. I cant find enuf smoke stack to make it higher. lol So far this is a ton of fun to make.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Go with the bump out. It'll free up your space and keep everything safe. Plus with the bump out you could always put a screen or something in front of it so your daughter can't get close to it.

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:19 PM »
That's what I was thinking. And it's not going to be huge either. And lined with durra rock. That way I could heat up lunch/snack just by setting it in there. Plus I know shell get a kick out of cooking on it with my little pan. Mmm deer n eggs.   I can't wait !

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Ive had a wood stove in my permy for years nothing better. People who don't know squat about burning wood for heat should stay out of the subject. Anyone smoking up an area is not using seasoned wood. Lets see free wood lots of heat // buy expensive propane maybe same heat but not free. I guess it depends on where you live I have free wood coming out my ears mostly oak seasoned for 2 years. Why in the world would I buy propane??

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Im a carpenter so i get all the wood scraps i could want. And 50% of the wood we use is Cut from local trees. And "dried" in stacks outside.  I know its not kiln dried but i cant tell me boss that. So most scraps are seasoned 10 yrs ago. Oak pine ash ect.

Also we own 1000 acres so i have all the dead standing wood i want.

I have 2 boxes now. Just have to make ash pans for them.

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Have you ever been inside s shanty heated by a wood stove ?? Its the best of all wolds. Plus when has the fishing been so great you could'nt spend 30 sec stoking a fire?

Im going with the  bump out. The stack is only going to be 3 sections high. I cant find enuf smoke stack to make it higher. lol So far this is a ton of fun to make.

I hope you do it, I have been thinking about it for 2 years but never pulled the trigger.  I stick a piece of Dura-Rock or like AKDUBE said Hardi-Board which is lighter behind my stove and it takes some serious heat. 

I agree you cannot beat a wood burner if you have the room.  They are a bit dirty and take a bit of attention but I it is well worth it.

Here is mine.

“I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Wholy cow huge shack ! Makes mine feel tiny..... Uncle works at the dump so hes bring home 2x4s and ply wood. Im hoping on making a 8x8 or larger if i get enuf lumber and scraps....

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Wholy cow huge shack ! Makes mine feel tiny..... Uncle works at the dump so hes bring home 2x4s and ply wood. Im hoping on making a 8x8 or larger if i get enuf lumber and scraps....

We started out 8' x 8' 5 years ago, went up to 12' and now she is 8' x 16'.  It is a bit different than most shantys, not all ( the Michiana guy makes me feel stupid).  I'm new here and I'm still getting pictures on photobucket, when I do I will post some pics and see what the ICESHANTY world thinks of my Shanty.
“I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:18 AM »
Don't let MichianaFisherman get you down. He's a crafty fellow. LOL. Your shack looks awesome Teamgripper though

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:47 AM »
bump it out!! way more room

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.