Author Topic: New Guy in MD  (Read 1039 times)

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
New Guy in MD
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Hey everyone

I am new to Maryland and currently like in frederick.  I moved here in may after graduating college and receiving a job as a utility forester with PEPCO.  I am originally from Northern New York lived 10 miles from the Canada  boarder.  I always use to hunt rabbits with hounds in the winter time and ice fished a little  but started really ice fishing when i was going to school at Syracuse the last two years.  Hoping to see some ice this year from what I have heard it will not look likely here in Frederick.  I have seen that deep creek looks to be a popular spot.  I have a bunch of questions one will i be better of driving north to PA to find ice or will it be closer to go to western MD.  Also around what time do you start to get ice.  I know in NY also of times we are hitting the hard water by mid december.             

Offline Flying Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Guy in MD
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Welcome to the land of pleasant living.......it does get cold here and we do ice fish. Deep Creek is always your best bet for ice, but in good years most of the northern part of the state can have fishable ice, including tidal.  There are some small lakes just west of you that produce and the pool on the Potomac also. Check out the archives.

Last year was a bust and this year........  ???   

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:01 PM »
Last year was a bust in the southern half of New York as well.  I was driving two hours north from Syracuse to find hard water in later January.  I will be going back to NY to fish some weekends but interested to see how the fishing is.  if its anything like the hunting is i will be happy.  Hope to meet some of you guys on here out there

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Also, a lot of us cross the border and visit our friends in PA and join them on the ice too.   ;)
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline beerhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2013, 02:56 PM »
I am in new Hampshire on newfound but my brother in law just got sent there through the air force not sure were the base is he had to leave wife and kids behind thought that ice fishing would ease his mind has no equipment don't know if he has ever been before didn't know if there was someone that knows were he was and would help him out I enjoy it aND THOUGHT HE WOULD TO OF COURSE I HAVE A HARD SIDE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.