Author Topic: baits people use for cats  (Read 8080 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
baits people use for cats
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:06 PM »
I have used dead minnows with great success on tipups, but I also like a jigging rapala for them.
How about chicken liver for them through the ice? I think it would freeze, but it could be deadly. I will have to try...
Minnows that are the best are suckers, anchovies, smelt, herring, any really stinky fish that gives off a lot of oils.
Any other baits that I'm missing? How about lake trout tube jigs? Do those work?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

redneck

Re:baits people use for cats
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2004, 11:54 AM »
The bait I've the best luck with is bullheads for the larger cats. Caught a 68lber this summer on one and there tough stay alive forever.
Redneck

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2004, 02:43 PM »
up this way in the summer, they love stinky sunbaked shrimp, goldeye belly, frogs. sure love fishing for them  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2004, 05:11 PM »
You can stink up any of your best baits. Buy a jar of chopped garlic and mix it in the bait the day before you go.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

raleigh

Re: baits people use for cats
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:18 PM »
Has anyone use the cat power bait (the brown nugets),blood or cheese and had success catching cats. I have never caught one off of that power bait stuff. I find a couple big night crawlers on your hook works great.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Go to a fish store and buy squid. Cut it into strips and squares. Tough as hell, wont pull off a hook, and stinks to high heaven! :o
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:51 PM »
I usually catch them by accident on live shiners. Gonna have to try the squid love catching them and eating em :P

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

crowkiller

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:57 PM »
i use shrimp raw n unpealed

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:58 PM »
 :P What I use is worms or balls of bread without crust. :tipup:

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:59 PM »
I myself use raw shrimp.  A pound only costs 5 bucks, its fairly tough and will last two guys all day.
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISH NAKED!! *S.E. OHIO*
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:50 AM »
here in Ohio we have tried all the catfish bait that we use on soft water and cant get them on the ice. but when we use waxxies for pan fish we slay the channel cats!!

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:02 PM »
in my exp. cats in winter are a whole different fish. i've had my best luck with minnows when i fish for cats, but i've got some good ones on waxworms.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:18 AM »
My opinion, as far as the best pre-prepared catfish bait I ever used, would have to be 'Catfish Charlie type B- for blood', -by far!!!.... Although, I haven't tried it icefishing as of yet. I would say, one way I fished it would probably work through the ice. One word of caution though, this stuff is very potent stuff, you will definitely want to get this stuff off your hands. I used to get the doughbait form of this, and add a little water to it, and take whatever bait I would be using with this, dead shiner, chicken liver/gizzard, or shrimp, ...and dip it in this stuff. Yeah, it works very well by itself, but I found out, by adding a large bait to this stinky stuff, attracted the big boys! They did have a dip form of this as well, so whatever your preference is would work.... I think, if you took dead minnows, or cut-bait, whatever your preference, dipped it in this, at home, and packed them in an airtight container, take them out to your fav. cat hole, even if they freeze, you'll still be able to get your hook through them to fish with them. Remember -clean your hands, this stuff really stinks!... But works like you wouldn't believe! I really don't see it not working because of the time of year....Well, good fishin',....Salmonrebel.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:56 AM »
I just figured to add,....if your getting some cats with waxies or spikes, maybe try dipping them in the 'CatfishCharlie', or add some into your bait, and let them crawl around in the stuff.- to trigger more strikes.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline Fish_4_Food

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:10 PM »
chicken liver mixed with garlic powder let it rot in the sun for a couple of days. It will smell lovely when u pop the lid off and cats love it

Offline Waynesburgjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I like a swedish pimple tipped with a fat head minnow cut in pieces

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.