Author Topic: Mountain Jumbo Perch and Kokanee  (Read 301 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mountain Jumbo Perch and Kokanee
« on: Feb 20, 2024, 08:32 AM »
eature=shared

GIANT PERCH IS OUR ICE FISHING PREY OF CHOICE and catching them in the Beautiful Mountains of Montana, makes it even more amazing of an experience.

I tell you this Patagonia Chartreuse colored jacket has some magical attraction power for Giant perch. You may not think so... but my brother has a way of popping the giants and making bright photos with this setup.

He was using the circle tackle PANFISH 36" ROD with the KY-1000 reel.

These perch have big appetites, and we found that they were interested in both tungsten jigs and jigging spoons. We used 7mm Tungsten Jigs on the Jigging Jaw Jacker and Stationary Jaw Jacker.

On our jigging rods the most success was on the Northland Tackle Rattle Buckshot Flutter Spoon.

While we located a large amount of spawning kokanee along the bottom we also found a few Jumbo Perch mixed in with the salmon.  The perch are big eaters consuming minnows, crayfish and salmon eggs. 

Our biggest perch of the day was a hair shy of 14" and a great specimen from a beautiful mountain lake south of the border. My brother Dallas is fortunate to live in an adventure paradise.  When I'm along, we get to explore some lakes in the area.

There really is no shortage of places to fish and fish to catch.

The perch in this particular lake seem to be roaming alone, hunting bigger food items. While it is challenging to find these sparse fish, it is possible. Using a combination of Jaw Jackers and hole hopping we slowly dialed them in.

Good luck out there this year!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
Re: Mountain Jumbo Perch and Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2024, 04:21 PM »
Another great video, Brandon. Montana is a great state for fishing and hunting. Lots of nice fish in that lake.
Master Laker taker.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mountain Jumbo Perch and Kokanee
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2024, 10:35 AM »
Another great video, Brandon. Montana is a great state for fishing and hunting. Lots of nice fish in that lake.

Yes sir that is for sure!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.