Author Topic: LITTLE BUDDY HEATERS  (Read 6160 times)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LITTLE BUDDY HEATERS
« Reply #30 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:51 AM »
When I worked at Cabelas I seen tons of those heaters come back weekly during ice season....

I purchased the Cabela's Quiet Blind Heater/Cooker and its worked perfect so far, but it don't have the automatic shut off when tipped over or low oxygen sensor, use common
sense if you purchase this.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 08, 2019, 05:04 AM »
Got 2 big buddy heaters would never go a diff route for heater I love the things use both all the time. Only issues I had were ones of my doing. Cracking plastic cuz dropped it he shack accidentally off back of truck now just a trick to it for lighting. Other I picked up cuz if lighting being a pain when it’s cold. Solid unit recomended
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #32 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:48 AM »
I have a 20 year old little buddy.(back then my model was considered the little buddy) Last spring the drain backed up with all of the torrential rain we had. The street was a river. I got 14 inches of water in the basement and my little buddy was totally submerged. I left it on the deck to dry out (covered deck)for about a month. It sparked up on the first try and ran like a molested monkey. It still looks like hell, but I will be using it this winter. I keep a steel pie plate in my shack and it sits perfectly under the handle, on top of the heater. I heat burritos and hot dogs while I fish.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Ahhh going to be pissing around trying to get my buddy heaters to light again this year.they never start when i need them the most..ive cleaned,disabled stuff and tore apart..i run my old coleman catalytic heaters.yeah they are a fireball when first lit but always lite no matter what.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Bucket rump

Are you useing a filter on that set up?

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Go with the portable buddy heater you won't regret it.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Ahhh going to be pissing around trying to get my buddy heaters to light again this year.

I'm gonna get a 12pk so I can test all mine out this evening.  I've had mixed results with all of them.  I currently have 2 little, 2 regular and a newer big that replaced a beat up 15 yo one that was finally retired.  That old one had the narrow collared dial that was prone to failure; that was epoxied, then replaced, 3-4 times over the years, but otherwise very reliable.  My new big's PZT doesn't catch when cold, requires a torch unless warm.  The regulars have mostly been champs and burn a lot of gas, but a third I had wouldn't burn hot enough even after rebuilding a couple of times, I tore that apart and only salvaged a few parts.  My first little buddy crapped out right away, required some downward pressure on it at all times to run.  I got two others going on 3 years that have been pretty consistent.  One was dropped and banged up a bit and still has worked well.

I have two conclusions about mr. Heaters.  It's the luck of the draw pretty much.  And, a better and more reliable heater would be the most significant innovation possible for a lot of ice fishing fanatics.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Yeah i bought a bunch of little buddy and portable buddy heaters on sale for 30$ a piece a few years back.ive had brand new heaters not light,some light if warm and barely any start when its cold.i sold them all but 3 now.one portable buddy is sort of reliable,my little buddy is a crap shoot to light and i have 1 brand new portable buddy that I haven’t opened up yet.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:43 AM »
I highly recommend the Little Portable Buddy. The only issue a had was the wind blowing out the pilot. It was mostly probably my fault, I never bank the skirt on my fishtrap or use the zipper door. I made a wind guard, no issues. Also made a rack, warm food and piping hot coffee.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:48 AM »
I highly recommend the Little Buddy. The only issue a had was the wind blowing out the pilot. It was mostly probably my fault, I never bank the skirt on my fishtrap or use the zipper door. I made a wind guard, no issues. Also made a rack, warm food and piping hot coffee.
(Image removed from quote.)
not that it matters but thats the portable buddy.the little buddy is round and screws on top of the 1lb tanks.i need to do your wind guard mod on mine.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:02 PM »
not that it matters but thats the portable buddy.the little buddy is round and screws on top of the 1lb tanks.i need to do your wind guard mod on mine.

Thanks, fixed it.  Getting old ain't easy...  ;)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 08, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I have the round little buddy and it would light sometimes I would have to smack that thing pretty hard to get it to light. Found out that the tip over switch was not resetting all the time after laying down. So removed the switch and installed a small jumper wire in its place, it fired up all the time the first time and for 3 seasons so far. I don't recommend  doing this to your heater for safety reasons. It will run in any position even on its side. That's what's was wrong with mine.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #42 on: Nov 08, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Yes the tip over switch was stuck on mine also.thought it was a bad thermocouple.mine still has problems lighting tho.pilot will lite no problem but when i let off the button it quits.ive held it for 5 minutes before even.i even moved the thermocouple into the flame more.its about time for me to get them out and try lighting them.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 09, 2019, 05:31 AM »
same problem here. I thought it was the thermocouple but it turned out to be the tip sensor. Last year I read a letter someone posted (maybe not on this site) from Mr Heater. It seams that they know of the problem and their solution is to "smack it sharply on the side". Worked for me... when it stops working completely, I'll be looking for a different heater.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #44 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:09 AM »
Anyone else put there heater in the tub of there flip behind them instead of on the ice in front of em
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Yes the tip over switch was stuck on mine also.thought it was a bad thermocouple.mine still has problems lighting tho.pilot will lite no problem but when i let off the button it quits.ive held it for 5 minutes before even.i even moved the thermocouple into the flame more.its about time for me to get them out and try lighting them.

Mine did the same as yours when lighting until I removed the switch. I also moved the thermocouple into the flame. That switch in mine was a mercury switch very sensitive to movement P.O.S. I couldn't even move it while lit one light tap from any thing and it would go out.. I will keep it and run it like that just don't leave it on when not in my shack. I had a mr heater cooker style for years that thing would send out 2ft flames when the tank goes low,and  sounded like jet engine while running and consume fuel like crazy. And it was a pain to keep away from anything that would melt. Still think the round little buddy is the best one burns quietly and has good shielding around burner and I can get about 3 to 4 hrs out of a 1lb tank. I use it in my fish trap pro non insulated and most days I have to remove my jacket and hat and my holes are not freezing over inside the shack idont need it 70deg. In the shack

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:56 AM »
Anyone else put there heater in the tub of there flip behind them instead of on the ice in front of em

I have milk crate that holds a 7 gallon  bucket and have 4 in PVC tubes mounted to the outer side of it and the 1lb tanks fit it perfectly. I just offset the crate to one side a little and move my seat to the opposite , when I move which is alot just put the flip in wind break and leave on  move  the shack to new spot then drop front down and keep slaying the fish.

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 10, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Went To Menards today and picked up the parts for the conversion of Lil Buddy to 5 lb tank

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I use a portable Mr Buddy in my 2-person flipover and it is perfect size. I also hang a small fan from roof to circulate warm air down. I am surprised the difference in air temp btw bottom and top.  You really need to circulate the air.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:33 AM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Now the real question.....how many of you trust these enough for night time sleeping?

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #51 on: Nov 11, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Now the real question.....how many of you trust these enough for night time sleeping?
Well first several threads on using them over night. Don’t know what shack you’re heating. I have never been able to get any of my huts so air tight that I would worry about co2 poisoning. Most flip overs and hubs have multiple vents. Lots of folks talk about using co2 alarms. I would trust mine not to kill me.
Keep it safe! JDL
I have the portable.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 11, 2019, 01:53 PM »

I do. I have slept with mine on in the shanty many times. When I do I have a 12v fan on all night, all of the vents open and usually the door cracked open a little. I also use a CO alarm which interestingly has never once gone off, even after jigging in the shanty with the heater on full blast during the day. It doesn't seem to kill me during the day so I don't really understand why it would at night.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Mcmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Tractor supply had the portables on sale, early black Friday $67.  Bought one about a week ago.  Not sure they are still on sale.  Yesterday I took my garbage to the dumpster and there was a buddy heater sitting on top of the trash, looked brand new.  Tried it, flame was burning yellow, would not start.  Did the alcohol clean of the tube (youtube), got the blue flame.  Still would not work.  Cleaned the thermocouple, nuttin.  Started to take it apart and noticed the thermocouple was unplugged.  Plugged it, sputtered a bit an and wa-la, kicking out the heat.  Gotta love youtube.  Keeping the new one, dumpster diver for a spare.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #54 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I think most portables leak enough air to be pretty safe, but  a CO detector is always a good precaution.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.