Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit/okoboji  (Read 2354 times)

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spirit/okoboji
« on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:23 AM »
How is the ice holding up and how much longer do you think there will be fishable ice to make a trip?  Thanks

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spirit/okoboji
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:52 AM »
How is the ice holding up and how much longer do you think there will be fishable ice to make a trip?  Thanks
Plenty of ice but ridiculous amounts of snow. If you're going to be walking I'd think twice.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Be fishing for a long time yet. Several weeks minimum.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Thanks guys.  If make a trip would be bringing my utv.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:36 PM »
I was out today in a pickup. You can get around but it's kinda bumpy off the path. Fish are window shopping, 'just looking' for the most part. Did get 10 including a beautiful crappie, maybe 11.5".  Gonna get fun in a few weeks. Lots of fish around Okoboji Boats.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:49 AM »
I wish I was out in the rain today. Best ice fishing is when it rains. Not driving an hour in freezing rain to do it but someday, I'm moving somewhere good.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:33 AM »
What kind of ice thickness are you seeing?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:40 AM »
Maybe 20 inches by Okoboji boats.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:02 AM »
Welp, the rain the last week and the week before has shortened the season dramatically. There is good thick ice but getting to it is a challenge.  I wore my chest waders yesterday and  I'm gonna try that again today. But today is my last day unless 1 fishing buddy asks to go this weekend.  Anyone else will get a no, but for him I would go.

Offline perch78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Was on Spirit Wed. a lot of wind and the lake edge is the problem.This weekend will most likely end the ice fishing season.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:00 PM »
There was quite a few folks on East by Hattie Elston and out from the Trestle. We went to Smith. Fishing was very good.  I let my friend use my shack and I sat on the ice. The fish were very reluctant to come under an 8 inch hole but I did ok. He did much better in the shack. Our combined catch and an ironic frozen poster in the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.