New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SULLIVAN COUNTY ICE FISHING CONTESTS  (Read 13978 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SULLIVAN COUNTY ICE FISHING CONTESTS
« Reply #60 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Yes Rob, I have been fishing White Lake for over 40 years and it is very rare to have a great day or even steady fishing. I guess if you like pearch and get into the schools you can do quite well and there are some very respectable pearch in there.
I target trout and Lakers and they are very tough to come by in this pond.
Don't get me wrong, the fish are there and there are some very fine trout and Lakers but they sure do come hard.

I am glad some guys had fun and caught a few fish. Looks like a fairly large pickerel took the crown again this year. Don't think it has ever been won by a trout but in early spring I have caught them well over the ten pound mark while trolling small rapalas. The pickerel looks to be in the 24-26 inch class and a nice fish for sure, probably has a belly full of nice trout!

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline rob45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:49 AM »
Yes Rob, I have been fishing White Lake for over 40 years and it is very rare to have a great day or even steady fishing. I guess if you like pearch and get into the schools you can do quite well and there are some very respectable pearch in there.
I target trout and Lakers and they are very tough to come by in this pond.
Don't get me wrong, the fish are there and there are some very fine trout and Lakers but they sure do come hard.

I am glad some guys had fun and caught a few fish. Looks like a fairly large pickerel took the crown again this year. Don't think it has ever been won by a trout but in early spring I have caught them well over the ten pound mark while trolling small rapalas. The pickerel looks to be in the 24-26 inch class and a nice fish for sure, probably has a belly full of nice trout!

Gary
Any idea of any better spots to fish in the area?  I was thinking of trying Huntington or Superior this week.  Unfortunately my options are limited.  I may also go up to Big Pond and try that later in the week.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:00 AM »
So far this year, fishing has been pretty poor at all my usual haunts.
I like Big Pond simply because of the ease of getting on and off and it does have some nice trout. They have been completely uncooperative so far this year.

I only ever fish for trout so I am not the one to ask about the other lakes that don't allow trout fishing. Here is the list as I recall it for trout thru the ice,
White Lake, Lake Huntington, Big & Little Ponds, Mongaup Pond. I am sure there are other spots but these are within driving distance of me from the Monticello area.

I am going to try White Lake this afternoon off the Lighthouse end because I have yet to catch a Laker thru the ice.

Gary

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:27 AM »
I'm back! Man was I sick! I have been on the couch or in bed since Thursday. Sounds like I didn't miss anything too big? Going up to Indian Lake this weekend to get my fix.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2006, 10:03 AM »
hey gary good luck and if u do catch a laker take some pics i weanna see this fish that no one ever catches and i have to say this year at white lake was my best year cuaght 2 perch 13 and 1/8" and 11 and 1/2" great fish also cuaght two smallies and a pickeral attached to my fishing pole that it took in tyhe water lol great times good luck gary

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline thekamikazekid

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 20, 2006, 03:56 PM »
hey i think i see my winning perch lol cant really tell around wat time wqas that taken?

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline lorddre81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:32 AM »
hi what about ice and this tournament

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:08 AM »
hi what about ice and this tournament

This thread was from past years!

I doubt very much any of the normal tournaments will be held this year. White Lake has a lot of open shoreline still.

Offline icefishinNJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:10 AM »
This thread was from past years!

I doubt very much any of the normal tournaments will be held this year. White Lake has a lot of open shoreline still.
i read last night that KOTI is cancled. very sad indeed
                                                          Fishing=Life

Offline Mpepper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:37 PM »
King of the ice....white lake....Sullivan county ny.....February 11..2017

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:32 PM »

YUP! We have seen this far too many times so it is vital that you check the date on thread quoted posts before you believe anything you read here.

I was at White lake where this contest is held just last Saturday January 28th, 2017 and there were guys out fishing and the shoreline looked fine. I did not check the ice thickness and make no claim that all is a go but just pay attention to the RECENT UPDATES and look at the date they are posted before you go venturing to any contests this year. If I had to guess and it will only be a GUESS I would think the contest is on based on the temperature predictions for this week. That could change real fast so just watch for updates.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Wrong Date???

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #73 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:56 PM »
There is a thread posted to the top of this page that has all tourney, derby, and content information. If you have any more to add, please message me. Thank you.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.