New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Western NY thread!  (Read 15989 times)

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Western NY thread!
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Didn't see one... hope to see some safe ice out this way soon. A little different than last year!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
Re: Western NY thread!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Well you loon Steuben will freeze and you can catch some dink perch hooray !
Mr.Esox

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:50 PM »
Some ponds with good fish in them around me have started to freeze. Soon as they have safe ice i will fish them until Honeoye freezes up.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline Jaysrig

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HUSKER Nation on hard water GBR!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:22 PM »
Smaller ponds around Corning are getting a good cap on em hope it can hold over the weekend.
Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory!

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:42 AM »
Can't wait to hit the ice this year bring it on ol man winter were packed and ready for ya I can smell my burnt hairs from my buddy heater already haha
And so it begins........

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:57 AM »
Well you loon Steuben will freeze and you can catch some dink perch hooray !

Could you give me some more info on loon lake never fished there. Have you had luck catching anything else or just dink perch.

Offline LightDrag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:28 AM »
Just relocated this year from Denver (job). I heard the ice was supposed to be pretty good in western NY? LOL. Tired of high country trout fishing - been at it hard for years and years - really looking forward to some panfish around here and some pike up in the north country.

Not really all that familiar with the area and my NY fishing buddies are all the way up in Malone. That being said I'm very well equipped and I have a wife who loves me enough to give me time and support to fish as much as I want. Kids are *almost* grown and gone, so what else am I gonna do?

Anyway - just wanted to say hello. If this place ever freezes, I am more than ready to get these new bib's that Santa got me out on the lid for "product testing".

LD

p.s. I'm just east of Roch - if anyone has an 8" strikemaster MAG2000 I found a few sets of already resharpened spare blades for it in my bucket. Don't need them any more. Will trade for cold beer and fishing tips. ;-)

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:31 AM »
Welcome LD! You might need to go up north for early ice but not for northerns :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Welcome aboard LD,
           You are in the heart of Northernpike waters up there,have a great (although short) and safe season.The WNY area is all sectioned up so you have to look for the County you want to fish.Be safe and tightlines to you!

FN

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2016, 08:53 AM »
boat harbor looked good yesterday looks like the edges just need to catch up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jaysrig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:57 PM »

Could you give me some more info on loon lake never fished there. Have you had luck catching anything else or just dink perch.
quite a few dink perch in there for sure, we did catch a few Bass large/small mouth and some gills. there are bigger fish they just make you work for em with out a doubt. 
Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory!

Offline Jaysrig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Welcome LD good to see another Midwesterner out here !! what part of Denver did you live in? I still have family all over out that way.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Just relocated this year from Denver (job). I heard the ice was supposed to be pretty good in western NY? LOL. Tired of high country trout fishing - been at it hard for years and years - really looking forward to some panfish around here and some pike up in the north country.

Not really all that familiar with the area and my NY fishing buddies are all the way up in Malone. That being said I'm very well equipped and I have a wife who loves me enough to give me time and support to fish as much as I want. Kids are *almost* grown and gone, so what else am I gonna do?

Anyway - just wanted to say hello. If this place ever freezes, I am more than ready to get these new bib's that Santa got me out on the lid for "product testing".

LD

p.s. I'm just east of Roch - if anyone has an 8" strikemaster MAG2000 I found a few sets of already resharpened spare blades for it in my bucket. Don't need them any more. Will trade for cold beer and fishing tips. ;-)
I'm in the Buffalo area don't need the blades but do need a new fishing partner I'm available to fish on Tuesdays and early morning alot of the week if you want to go when we lock up with ice come out my way and I'll show you some stuff let me know I'll bring the beer lol
And so it begins........

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Welcome!!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:44 PM »

LD

Good to have you here man. If you ever get the chance this winter come down my way and fish Honeoye Lake not big by any means but lots of big bluegills and lots of bass
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:31 AM »

Loon used to be one of the first lakes to freeze. I would travel down there with a buddy or two to get our fix waiting for the better spots to harden up. Small perch was a guarantee but we also got some small chain pickerel too. I haven't been there in probably 10-12 years so I really cant comment on current situation.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:15 AM »
Loon used to be one of the first lakes to freeze. I would travel down there with a buddy or two to get our fix waiting for the better spots to harden up. Small perch was a guarantee but we also got some small chain pickerel too. I haven't been there in probably 10-12 years so I really cant comment on current situation.

Thanks for the info.

Offline KMaz9697

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:35 PM »
dink perch and pickerel, that's about all i've gotten out of there. Occasionally pick up a decent bass or crap. Like ^^ said, one of the first places to freeze and there's a nice little bar right off the ice. Don't forget to stop into Laf-a-lot and grab one for the ice!

Offline LightDrag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:57 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I will certainly send some PM's once things cool off.

LD

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Everyone ready for next weekend?
And so it begins........

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Lol good luck finding safe ice with this snow
ice fishing for life

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:15 AM »
It hasnt stopped me in the past for my first outing
And so it begins........

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:16 AM »
Besides all the snow is blowing off the ice that was still remaining from the last cold snap
And so it begins........

Offline IceBandit187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Anyone think the SBH will be ready in the next two weeks or so? Forecast is looking semi-positive.

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:56 AM »
I would think before 2 weeks

Offline IceBandit187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Will be interesting to see if there is any safe ice this weekend. Itching to get out there. 

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:21 AM »
People were out on silver on Saturday. After warmup and getting slammed with 2 feet of snow (from what I heard) I don't know if it survived. I may go check this afternoon.

Offline Gowandafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Wow people were out on silver on saturday? If it doesn't get too much snow, it may be an option by this weekend.

Offline Gowandafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:12 AM »
Im also going to check new albion lake on saturday about 7-8 miles from Gowanda. It had 4 inches of black ice last week, and i checked last saturday. about 2 inches of ice with 2-3 inches of water on top. very interested to see what the ice looks like when i check it

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:55 PM »
I did get a picture from my buddy of two shanties on silver. They were in 2.5-3.5" of ice but after this weekends little warm up not sure what will be left

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.