New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Snow insulating the ice  (Read 1721 times)

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
Re: Snow insulating the ice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:10 AM »
just checked the north shore web cam and it looks like open water to me

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:29 AM »
It was open this morning when I came through.  It was dark but I could see movement out there.  Lets get this snow through the next 36 hours and see where we stand there.  the lake temp has to be dropping fairly quick with the snow and colder temps. 

Fishmon

« Reply #32 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:52 AM »
Big snow storm just what the doctor ordered for Lake George and other big lakes.  It will drop water temperatures since no ice yet and cold weather to follow will help the freeze up process.  When snow hits water it melts and change of state sucks the heat right out of the water just like throwing ice cubes in your favorite drink in summer.  Unfortunately this is bad new for small lakes that have skimmed over with a couple of  inches of ice - slush city until it refreezes (if at all).

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:58 AM »
Snow is either gonna act like an insulating blanket if lakes have an ice layer or speed the freezing on big lakes by chilling surface as snow melts in the water. So storm is a good thing if after its gone your lake has either open water or bare ice. If it has a layer of snow at best it is going to make travel on it more difficult. At worst it could make things treacherous since you cannot see the ice surface and it will reallly slow or stop ice making. Be careful!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #34 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Its a double edge sword,A lot of snow will help the big open water lakes form ice weds. night.It will put a lot of weight on the small ponds and hopefully  have the water seep up into the snow. It has to be better than a heavy rain taking all the ice away. The snow will have a much more positive effect on ice making than a lot of you are thinking.If it was the middle Jan. its a differant story.At most you may have 4" of ice, less than that will melt when covered by heavy snow,it will take a few days but it will happen. By sat your going to double the ice thickness, and the lakes will freeze over. Do not count out the wind blowing the snow off already frozen ponds.

onice2013

« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:45 PM »
the Mayans were right after all,  I putting all my new gear i bought last week on Craig's list, this snow storm is a sign of the end , it just ruined everything lol  ::)just kidding ;D

Offline Jamtimer22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:34 PM »
8-12inches here in Fulton county NY.....hopefully we have 8-12 inches of ice soon!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.