Author Topic: Angle of the Dangle  (Read 629 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Angle of the Dangle
« on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:21 PM »
I've got questions about how you decide to hang your pannie plastics and jigs.

There are basics -- vertical presentations (spoons) and horizontal presentation (jigs that look like minnows).

I get flummoxed when seeing someone hang a L shaped jig and plastic presentation. Someone give me the what and why.

How do you hang each kind of fake bug, scud, or shrimp imitator? On what kind of jigs, with what plastics?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Angle of the Dangle
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2021, 01:25 PM »
Did you ever watch a fish on a camera suck in a bait?  They slowly move to the bait and nose right up to it and then suck it in.  It is easier for a fish to suck in a horizontal hung jig and bait then it is a vertical bait.  Perch, crappies and sunnies like to approach slowly right up to the bait and suck it in most of the time.  But now there are exceptions, some will attach the bait.   I always hang my pan fish jigs horizontal.   

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2021, 01:48 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Ice fishing presents a different concept vs open water jigging.  From what I've learned through experience is that often with ice fishing it's better to not fully thread the plastic onto the hook to make it look good.  The fish like to bite way more if the plastic is barely threaded and almost seems to fall off.  In a concept like wacky rigging your plastic.  This includes baiting a spoon with a treble hook. 

As long as it's not making the lure spin in circles while at rest.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.