New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: oneida lake, ny  (Read 1933 times)

Offline ridedoo04

• IceShanty Rookie
oneida lake, ny
« on: Dec 19, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Im a first timer to ice fishing this year and i wanted to ask you guys what are some good spots on oneida and what the fish are striking on as well or just any useful tips and pointers i would appreciate it

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
Re: oneida lake, ny
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Im a first timer to ice fishing this year and i wanted to ask you guys what are some good spots on oneida and what the fish are striking on as well or just any useful tips and pointers i would appreciate it
Well Rook , that would depend on what you want to catch  ;) Any Bay holds some of the best Panfish you will find anywhere . The main part of the lake will produce Perch and Eyes .... and the Burbot .... as well as White perch and Bass . In the bays you will have luck on Caty jigs tipped with Spikes or Plastics such as Makis . In the basin Spoons and Jigging Raps tipped with Buckeyes are the top options . If you want to chace Flags for Pickeral I would suggest Big Bay and use Shiners , or Perch and Eyes in the Basin use large Buckeyes . Look at a topo lake map and try and find contours and deph changes . Good luck and remember to share storys and pics  ;D

Offline helling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:24 PM »
you wouldn't happen to know where to get on the ice on the north side would you?
-Pray for ice

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:30 PM »
you wouldn't happen to know where to get on the ice on the north side would you?
-Pray for ice
Sure , plenty of places . Beginning with Big Bay Bar , Three mile bay , Constancia , Apps Landing , Godfrey Point , Jewell , and North Bay .

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 PM »
Taft bay park

Offline ridedoo04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Im lookin for jack perch and walleye mostly but anything good eating.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Im lookin for jack perch and walleye mostly but anything good eating.
1st piece of advice, don't go out on Onieda as a rookie expecting to eat anything.  Go just to fish.  If your new & expect to catch you may find yourself discouraged and giving up.   She can be & usually is one of the more difficult lakes to figure out.
The upside though, it's more rewarding when you do.

perch@pans

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2012, 03:18 PM »
ALWAYS ALWAYS bring a compass! magnetic type not your phone. And plenty of buckeyes.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2012, 04:56 PM »

now that is very sound advice from Perch & Pans and Bcons , just try and get what info you can and roll with it and try and have fun you will do much better , if you get frustrated this lake can be unforgiving just and ol buzzards .02 PS if you figure it out let me in on the secret cause i'm old  ;)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2012, 04:59 PM »

now that is very sound advice from Perch & Pans and Bcons , just try and get what info you can and roll with it and try and have fun you will do much better , if you get frustrated this lake can be unforgiving just and ol buzzards .02 PS if you figure it out let me in on the secret cause i'm old  ;)

You need help?  Haha doubt it

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:01 PM »
You need help?  Haha doubt it

but i am getting older and on the brink of being a little senile , just ask coach or kp

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:20 PM »

now that is very sound advice from Perch & Pans and Bcons , just try and get what info you can and roll with it and try and have fun you will do much better , if you get frustrated this lake can be unforgiving just and ol buzzards .02 PS if you figure it out let me in on the  ;Dsecret cause i'm :'( old  ;)
oh...... My reply must have sucked .... thanks release

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:33 PM »
oh...... My reply must have sucked .... thanks release

didn't realize i stepped on your toes , great post my man ,maybe you can school us some time , always looking for good sound advice , it was just a little different than Bcons a P&P posts sorry bud , but you make it sound easy no offence Edd

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:08 PM »
didn't realize i stepped on your toes , great post my man ,maybe you can school us some time , always looking for good sound advice , it was just a little different than Bcons a P&P posts sorry bud , but you make it sound easy no offence Edd
i was playin around fredd ....

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I started ice fishing Oneida 4 years ago. For me the most simplistic places to enter and exit the lake is Williams beach and Lewis Point.  Once there is good ice finding quality perch depths is pretty easy of these points of entry. Usually there are crowds of fisherman around which means good fishing. You need to walk alot and drill alot but results will happen with practice. Jigging fat heads off any spoon will produce.....if the fish are there. Set up a couple tip ups to try for passing eyes. Get a map, look for depth changes, and have patience. Good luck... also read the conditions board to check for ice. If you go out be courteous and post the conditions you find and some picts!  :)

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I started ice fishing Oneida 4 years ago. For me the most simplistic places to enter and exit the lake is Williams beach and Lewis Point.  Once there is good ice finding quality perch depths is pretty easy of these points of entry. Usually there are crowds of fisherman around which means good fishing. You need to walk alot and drill alot but results will happen with practice. Jigging fat heads off any spoon will produce.....if the fish are there. Set up a couple tip ups to try for passing eyes. Get a map, look for depth changes, and have patience. Good luck... also read the conditions board to check for ice. If you go out be courteous and post the conditions you find and some picts!  :)

Well put :icefish:
AW

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Man, i remember when i started fishin oneida,, i wanted to quit after the first week,, but with ALOT of research and patience, it is now ( for the most part) the only lake i fish, good luck this year everyone and most important be safe.!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.