Author Topic: Nils Auger head sharpening  (Read 1799 times)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nils Auger head sharpening
« on: Apr 04, 2022, 09:07 AM »
I've been using a 4.5 inch Nils auger for close to 20 years .In that time I have dulled a few heads and would quickly buy another one to keep fishing without interruption. I finally sent two heads into the authorized dealer in Ashby ,Mass and am pleased with the results. I sent them out last Wednesday and received them back today . Just a heads up for anyone using a Nils in need of sharpening , I highly recommend the Small Engine Repair  service in Ashbury !

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Nils Auger head sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2022, 05:05 PM »
 I’ve used both shops ,   (sharp nils )  frank DeLuca does a great job absolutely no complaints
 I have all 3 sizes 4.5-8”  , and have 2 that are tanakas from the 80s before they became nils and still cutting with those heads ,

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2022, 07:46 AM »
I've been using a 4.5 inch Nils auger for close to 20 years .In that time I have dulled a few heads and would quickly buy another one to keep fishing without interruption. I finally sent two heads into the authorized dealer in Ashby ,Mass and am pleased with the results. I sent them out last Wednesday and received them back today . Just a heads up for anyone using a Nils in need of sharpening , I highly recommend the Small Engine Repair  service in Ashbury !
Just a heads up I have used the guy in ashby a few times when I owned a nils he destroyed the blade. I gave up on nils too complicated to get sharpened etc. I sent 2 blades to a Frank Delucca he did a good job but could only salvage one the other was destroyed in ashby. They have to be cut at just the right angle when sharpened.  The blades are way too finiky. Imo if you have to get a Nils dont go bigger than a 6. The blades seem to be more durable than an 8. Way to delicate for my needs. Just my opinion
Salmonemia

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2022, 06:44 AM »
Just a heads up I have used the guy in ashby a few times when I owned a nils he destroyed the blade. I gave up on nils too complicated to get sharpened etc. I sent 2 blades to a Frank Delucca he did a good job but could only salvage one the other was destroyed in ashby. They have to be cut at just the right angle when sharpened.  The blades are way too finiky. Imo if you have to get a Nils dont go bigger than a 6. The blades seem to be more durable than an 8. Way to delicate for my needs. Just my opinion

Yeah i'm hard on blades too. It's why I stayed with chipper blades when I went electric.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2022, 07:44 AM »
Yeah i'm hard on blades too. It's why I stayed with chipper blades when I went electric.
I would say i use my auger like its meant to be used  i treat it carefully and respect the blades edges. The Nils just doesnt tolerate what I consider normal use. When I'm drilling holes I dont want have to worry about being gentle. Plus if the alignment is off in the slightest its useless.  Too delicate for my needs.
Salmonemia

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2022, 09:39 AM »
I have to agree, my Nils is too sensitive to anything on or in the ice. I will have it sharpened and sell it. It does me no good! I could be on dirty ice!, but if it can't be relied upon as even a backup I don't need it!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2022, 03:07 PM »
I'm a run and gun perch fisherman and I have drilled thousands of holes with my Nils augers. I  ruined one drilling into bottom(rocks) and another one drilling into a log frozen in the ice(dull but still usable, can't say as much for my wrist :)). They take  abuse like any other auger and I've had 3 Jiffys,1 Strikemaster and an Ion. I won't know how sharp the Mass. machine shop got my auger heads(until next winter) but they look good and I'll stick with Nils as it is a good auger.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2022, 03:28 PM »

Fishingidit I agree I don’t have any complains , like I said 2 heads are from the 80s , one 6”and a 4.5 “ others I purchased later  , and I don’t baby my stuff , ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.