The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 227379 times)

Offline Mohawk Garage

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #630 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:04 PM »
There's been talk here in Rawlins that they are going to build a fishing pond. I was curious if anyone knew or had an idea possibly of what species of fish they might stock in it? Personally I think it would be fun for the kids to be able to catch something different then trout, something like crappie, blue gill, perch would awesome and give the kids opportunity to learn about some other species of fish.

Offline dickeyrrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #631 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Has g&f ever stocked walleye in wheatland no 3? And do you have plans on doing it in the future, Your survey says that the walleye are only eating walleye and not trout, so why not have the best of both worlds, if the walleye in there now came from res no 2, they seem to have done quite well the last 3 years.  thanks

Offline solidwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #632 on: Feb 04, 2018, 03:47 PM »
To hump who asked about a dam on battle creek. Yes there is one proposed for the west fork battle creek to include haggerty creek. You can find the details at www.wyofile.com

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #633 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:33 AM »
There's been talk here in Rawlins that they are going to build a fishing pond. I was curious if anyone knew or had an idea possibly of what species of fish they might stock in it? Personally I think it would be fun for the kids to be able to catch something different then trout, something like crappie, blue gill, perch would awesome and give the kids opportunity to learn about some other species of fish.

Mohawk Garage,

Hopefully the construction of the fishing pond will begin this spring/summer and completed this year.  To get the fishery going catchable (8-10 inches) trout will be stocked initially.  This will probably be the case for a couple of years while we assess fish growth, water quality, water temperature, etc.  If conditions are suitable for other species, maybe such as catfish, then those could be considered. 

The pond should be a great addition to the community.

Take care,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #634 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Has g&f ever stocked walleye in wheatland no 3? And do you have plans on doing it in the future, Your survey says that the walleye are only eating walleye and not trout, so why not have the best of both worlds, if the walleye in there now came from res no 2, they seem to have done quite well the last 3 years.  thanks

Dickeyrrd,

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department has never stocked Walleye into Wheatland Reservoir #3.  However, the Game and Fish did stock Walleye into Wheatland Reservoir #2 in 1952, 1957 through 1960, then 1976 and 1977.  Rainbow Trout were stocked into #2 in 1976 and 1978.  Follow up sampling to these stocking events found them to be of little success due to the widely fluctuating water levels of #2.  Once it seemed certain that there was not going to be public access to #2 all stocking was stopped.  Walleye have hung on in #2, therefore when water is kicked into #3, Walleye can come with that water and that is how they get into #3.  Once Walleye are in #3 they have been shown to do well and to naturally reproduce.  The Game and Fish has no plans to stock Walleye into #3 in the future.  In terms of the data you are referencing about the diets of Walleye in #3; from the fish found in the stomachs of Walleye that could be identified we found smaller Walleye, Carp, darters, and Fatheads.  In addition, there were lots of fish parts found in the stomachs of Walleye that may have been trout, but could not be identified.  At this point, I would not be comfortable saying that Walleye do not eat trout in #3 and we have plans to further research that in 2018 and will keep you all informed of what we find.  If you have further questions about the management of #3 please give our Fisheries Crew a call at the Laramie Office 307-745-4046. 

Thanks!

WGFDFishBioLaramie   

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #635 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Can wild caught minnows in Area B in the North Platte River Drainage be used in the downstream area "A"?

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #636 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Can wild caught minnows in Area B in the North Platte River Drainage be used in the downstream area "A"?

Area 5B minnows can be used in that part of 5A upstream of Glendo Dam. 

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #637 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:20 PM »
Is there gizzard shad in pathfinder or alcova? What are the walleyes main forage food in these lakes? Thanks.

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #638 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Is there gizzard shad in pathfinder or alcova? What are the walleyes main forage food in these lakes? Thanks.

No shad in Pathfinder or Alcova.  Summer water temperatures are not warm enough for long enough.  Main walleye forage in those lakes are crayfish and various minnow species, especially spottail and emerald shiners, which were stocked in there years ago to provide forage since gizzard shad don't work.  Larger walleye (> 20 inches) tend to favor larger prey items in the 8-14 inch range although we still see a lot of crayfish and smaller fish in stomach samples from big walleye.  The most common large prey items we see in walleye are white suckers and trout.

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #639 on: Apr 22, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Is this an ohrid trout? I caught it today at pathfinder. It Was a 26" tank. Caught and released.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #640 on: Oct 12, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Ok, silly question.....   in Wyo, is it legal to shoot across a gravel road, even if it's a clear safe shot?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #641 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Is the gravel road public road or a private road? If its a road for public use it's illegal to shoot over. A ranch or private road is ok to shoot over.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #642 on: Oct 12, 2018, 11:39 PM »
 Curious how the Renner reservoir project is coming along? Thank you!

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #643 on: Oct 19, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Is the gravel road public road or a private road? If its a road for public use it's illegal to shoot over. A ranch or private road is ok to shoot over.

To follow up on appleye answer, it is illegal to shoot over or FROM a public road.  If there is a right-of-way fence along the road a person shooting has to be across the fence prior to shooting.  If there is no right-of-way fence a person shooting has to be 30 feet or more from the driving surface of the road prior to shooting. 

While on a public road you can not legally get out the vehicle and go out to the fence and use the fence post as a rest and shoot at something.

ClearCreek

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #644 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Curious how the Renner reservoir project is coming along? Thank you!
We have awarded the contract for the new boat ramp to a construction out of Worland.  Construction of the ramp won't begin until mid-November at the earliest.  All work on the dam, outlet structure, and inlet pipe is complete.  We will begin shunting water back into the reservoir in a couple weeks but have to let it flow out of the outlet structure to keep the water elevation below the boat ramp.  Once the new ramp is constructed and the concrete has had time to cure we will close the outlet structure and begin filling the reservoir to full pool.  This will be some time in December or early January. Fish will be restocked starting in 2019 with largemouth bass.

Hope this helps

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #645 on: Oct 22, 2018, 10:08 AM »
We have awarded the contract for the new boat ramp to a construction out of Worland.  Construction of the ramp won't begin until mid-November at the earliest.  All work on the dam, outlet structure, and inlet pipe is complete.  We will begin shunting water back into the reservoir in a couple weeks but have to let it flow out of the outlet structure to keep the water elevation below the boat ramp.  Once the new ramp is constructed and the concrete has had time to cure we will close the outlet structure and begin filling the reservoir to full pool.  This will be some time in December or early January. Fish will be restocked starting in 2019 with largemouth bass.

Hope this helps
Thanks for letting us know. :bow:

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #646 on: Oct 22, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Thanks appleye and clearcreek

Offline herf69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #647 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Good Morning Wyoming Game and Fish

I have a little bit of time off this winter, I was wondering if you could recommend a place to ice fish for a Snake River Cutthroat, that would count towards the Wyoming Cutt-Slam?  Any recommendations would be great appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #648 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:01 AM »
TO Follow up on the road questions: You can shoot from a road just so long as its not a county road or state highway! If you are on a two track like BLM road you are ok to shoot from your vehicle, across the hood of your truck or whatever you want to do- You need to just be clear of your target.

If you are still unsure of this answer- Just call the G&F they can answer more clearly what is legal and what isn't.
Marvin

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #649 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Thanks guys for all the answers on the road question,  it did turn out to be a private road

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #650 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Happy to be back on Ice Shanty for the 2018/2019 ice fishing season.  Looking forward to answering questions pertaining to the management of waters within the Laramie Fisheries Management Region  I will be happy to address all issues on fish management of waters in Southeast Wyoming.  When appropriate, I will provide answers based on sound science and professional judgment and look forward to the opportunity to have thoughtful discussions on fisheries issues in Southeast Wyoming. Laramie Plains Lakes anglers, remember there are aeration systems on Meeboer and Gelatt.  Happy to have some great early ice this year!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #651 on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Always happy to have you around the Shanty WGFDFishBioLaramie!  :tipup:

Offline coldoutside

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #652 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Are there any fish in north crow?  And are there any fish in east allen? thanks

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #653 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Great to have you aboard again!!

Offline WGFDLaramieFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #654 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Are there any fish in north crow?  And are there any fish in east allen? thanks

Thanks for the question coldoutside!

There are fish in both Upper and Lower North Crow Reservoirs. Upper North Crow, which is located in Curt Gowdy State Park, still has larger Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Splake, and Grayling. In addition, 500 Large Rainbow Trout (~20 inches in length) were stocked at the end of November and Tiger Muskie that were stocked between 2015 and 2018 are also present. Anglers are reminded of the statewide minimum length limit on Tiger Muskie, which requires all Tiger Muskie less than 36 inches in length to be released to the water immediately. Rainbow Trout and Tiger Trout were stocked in Lower North Crow in 2018.

No fish are currently being stocked in East Allen as recent survival and growth of stocked Trout was limited. Temperatures and dissolved oxygen levels were studied during the summer of 2018. During this time, temperatures were high (>65F) and dissolved oxygen levels were very low. Since environmental conditions in East Allen were not in the ranges required by trout, it is unclear how the fishery in this lake will be managed in the future.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions on this information, feel free to call the Laramie Regional Office to speak with a fisheries biologist.

Thanks!!!

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #655 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:28 PM »
What will the new reservoir that's going to be built above hyattville going to be stocked with?

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #656 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I have fished Bass lake for many years and have always been very successful catching perch of varying sizes. This is the first time a group of us have fished the lake and only caught 2 small perch and 1 small bass. We also, using cameras and sonar had trouble finding weeds. I can only attribute this to the introduction of grass carp and tiger muskies. I strongly believe the grass carp are depleting the weed beds the perch rely on for cover and the tiger muskies are decimating them.

Why in the world would you destroy a great fishery, enjoyed by kids, grownups and seniors, to accommodate 1 individual from Lander that feels tiger muskies are the best. You put them in middle depression, now Bass lake, how soon before they are in Boysen.

We do not want to catch tiger muskies, we want to catch perch. Please return the perch and get rid of the tiger muskies. Thanks

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #657 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:57 AM »
I fished Bass lake this summer out of the boat and it was non-stop action with perch and blue gills with the occasional bass in there, tried everything from drifting with bobbers to trolling with harnesses or cranks and caught fish every which way some ways were a lot more fish and a lot more lost bait but it was fun, I tried to catch a few tigers out of there but did not have any success in seeing any or catching one, I think the tigers came down the creek from middle depression I do not think they were stocked, The Game and Fish could tell us the best, but I did see that the weeds on the south side of the lake did not grow as well as the north side, we caught a bunch of fish on the north shore and west end and it seemed like once you found the fish it was game on, last year ice fishing it once I notice that the fish did not like the aggressive jigging action that we caught most our fish on the pause and/or dead stick or tip-up with some worm on it, lost a couple of nice fish that I did not get a good hook set on and almost lost a dead stick down the hole to one.  I do like the blue gill in the lake for something other to chase for a bit.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #658 on: Dec 16, 2018, 04:03 PM »
I was informed that flood waters from middle depression allowed the muskies to get in there. Could be a tall tail but seems reasonable. However I’ve never been to middle is it even possible ?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #659 on: Dec 16, 2018, 05:53 PM »
The inlet to Bass lake comes right down from Middle depression so it is possible with them connected the way they are, just like Boysen is connected by the outlet into Muddy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.