Author Topic: Best tips for finicky gills  (Read 12752 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best tips for finicky gills
« on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:51 PM »
Just got an underwater camera and was watching how many gills come up and check out my jig and swim away. Amy tips for when they just don't want to bite?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best tips for finicky gills
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:25 PM »
A smaller and darker offering often works. They'll use their mouth to test/taste things even when not in a feeding mood since they don't have hands. Watch fish in an aquarium and all the CRAP they'll suck in and spit out. Many small real food tidbits are tiny and dark that we don't use as bait yet they'll feed on them

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:01 AM »
There are times when a small trout plastic worm rigged like a wacky worm rig for bass fishing works better than a plastic rigged on a jig.  I've done well with a #8 hook but will switch to a #10 if need be.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:16 PM »
A dead stick often catches gills for me mid day when the bite is off. Sometimes jigging isn't what they want. I like a Schooley rod with a piece of busted rod or dowel through the handle. Otherwise it becomes a gone rig.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies tried some smaller jigs this weekend has some better luck. The lake I fish is loaded with perch 6-8 inches with a few big ones mixed in here in there. The perch eat almost anything thrown at them and are more aggressive than the gills. Never seem to find the bluegills by themselves

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:52 PM »
2.5mm Fiskas jig w/ Little Atom Micro Noodle plastic tail is my go-to for neutral gills
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2016, 11:29 AM »
small dark colored jigs 3mm works for me with a contraband small waxy plastic. best luck ive had is black brown or purple
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:50 AM »
I'll go the other way.  sometimes smaller works,  sometimes bare hooks and a 1/4" piece of crawler works.  but a lot of the time i go UP in size.  slap a 5mm jig,  maybe a jigging spoon or a small jigging rap.   

Offline jrodm13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Usually when they aren't biting I switch to a small brown VMC Tungsten Fly.  So, I suppose I'd agree with those saying smaller and darker.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:27 AM »
dead sticking small 12-14 horizotal jig with gulp or one live spike or sometime's i use a dropper rig, the flash from the spoon brings them in and then they hit the tiny jig or hook hanging down below.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:13 AM »
I also agree with the smaller more natural/darker colors. When I have a lot of lookers and no-takers I usually switch to a hares ear nymph (added wraps of lead around it to give it a little more weight), or a black ant ice jig, or a very tiny purple rat-finkee. I also usually go from 2-3 spikes to just a single spike on the lure and cover the hook point. I also try to slowly "feather" the bait down by gently shaking the rod as it falls. But even on a normal day I also always have at least 4 rods rigged up with different bait styles on them. I'm amazed at how often I'll be catching fish on one style/color and then have the screen go dead or have more lookers than takers. Grab another rod drop the new bait down and things heat up again.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Use 2lb test line, and you'll get more bites.  I use PLine.

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:58 AM »
sometimes I also change the size of my jig or the number of spikes, sometimes I'll go to an ice fly tied with a small amount of lead wire on the shank that sinks so slowly that it gives a more natural appearance and movement. I've also seen times where I'd be fishing with spikes and catching only small ones and switch to a bare jig and catch better gills.

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:56 AM »
Tough bite, I down size jig and bait. Also slow down my jigging. Flies, dark and natural colors work great. Don't be afraid to toss on one of those lead Jigs we all seem to forget about. The slow and subtle flutter those create often get then most tight lipped fish to snap
REMOVED

Offline troutbum32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Absolutely recommend trying going down in terms of line thickness (just for the tippet) then increase your hook size if that doesn't work!

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:30 AM »
 ???wax worm or maggot. Many times it makes all the difference.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Mousie!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2019, 12:42 PM »
 I'll start from the back:

3# Mono

36# wire leader spring bobber (homemade)

3mm tungsten jig (90% of the time) with barrel swivel and small split shot or
4mm tungsten with barrel swivel...no split shot. These combinations work well (sensitivity) with the spring bobbers I use.

Colors: solid gold, orange/chartreuse or wonderbread (clown works too) are my primaries. I know other colors work but these are the most successful for me.

Spikes are all I use. Usually 1...sometimes 2. And refresh often. I buy them by the thousand so I might as well use them.

But the big thing for me is presentation and this varies: 1)Pound the jig aggressively on the bottom for a few seconds then raise slowly and steadily. 2) Start jig just off bottom and jig slightly while raising (don't stop). 3) Again, starting at or near bottom raise slowly an inch or 2 while jigging subtly then pause a second or 2...repeat as necessary. I rarely find a gill that will bite a jig that stays still for very long.

Hope this helps.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Three years later the advice I'd give myself when I started this thread is fish for perch lol

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Three years later the advice I'd give myself when I started this thread is fish for perch lol

That put a smile on my face!
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.