Author Topic: How many of us have broken rods already this year?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How many of us have broken rods already this year?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Never broke an ice rod but lost a new one when a buddy wasn’t watching his hole.
 ???

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:40 PM »
I refuse to answer on the grounds that if I do I will!!
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Me, first trip out this year. Made it home and was untangling line off the tip to respool with new line. Tip of one of my cheapo Celsius rods came off in my hand like nothing. That wasn't the first one I've had do it, I have a few for the nieces and nephews to use and as my panfish rods, but had much better luck with the HT combos in the same price range for my cheap rods (under 20 bucks).
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:10 PM »
So far my only casualty has been the small nub/handle on my schooley reel....still works for me!
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I made this one out of golf bad tubes. Light and easy to work with. Holds 12 rods. I also have the large blue Clam rod case, but this setup is much better.

lynng:
Are those 1.5” inside diameter tubes?  Do you know which brand they are?  I want to get similar tubes that are thick enough so that they don’t crack.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Broke the tip of my main walleye rod putting it into the 4 runner. Rods were attached to my backpack and snapped it on the ceiling putting it in.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:04 PM »
lynng:
Are those 1.5” inside diameter tubes?  Do you know which brand they are?  I want to get similar tubes that are thick enough so that they don’t crack.  So far I’m happy with the set up, though it’s a little top heavy.

Yes 1.5 ID. Got them from Walmart online (link below). Much lighter than PVC. Haven’t had them long enough to know how cold will affect them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Player-Supreme-Golf-Tubes-Dividers-available-in-three-sizes-and-various-quantities/130607058?selected=true

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:39 AM »
Broke 2 rods in the past 4 years, funny thing is I don't know how it happened. pulled gear off shelf and tip is hanging.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Yes 1.5 ID. Got them from Walmart online (link below). Much lighter than PVC. Haven’t had them long enough to know how cold will affect them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Player-Supreme-Golf-Tubes-Dividers-available-in-three-sizes-and-various-quantities/130607058?selected=true

Thank you!  I'll try them.

Offline Unclejoestuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Years ago I borrowed my uncle joes fishing gear including all his rods in a five gallon bucket. On the way to return everything I noticed somehow a tip was snapped off. So I bought him a new rod, but luckily the same year he gave me all his fishing gear to keep the tradition going.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Years ago I borrowed my uncle joes fishing gear including all his rods in a five gallon bucket. On the way to return everything I noticed somehow a tip was snapped off. So I bought him a new rod, but luckily the same year he gave me all his fishing gear to keep the tradition going.

Nice!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:25 AM »
Well add me to the list!  Damn.  Went to get a rod out on Sunday and noticed I had a tangle between two rods.  I started working on the line tangle and then noticed the rod rip dangling from the mess. 

That's what I get for putting my soft case in the bed of the truck with my smitty, chair, etc.  The one time I didn't put it in the cab of the truck...  Lesson learned!!!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline KRASHED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2019, 03:39 PM »
There's a large fish in our local lake that is carrying around a brand new lime green rod in it's mouth.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:01 PM »
None so far this year.  I have only broken one ice rod (a Scheels 26" Light).  I took that rod, fastened on an Ice Strong indicator with fly tying thread and epoxy, and it is now a superb crappie minnow/deadstick rod.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2019, 11:06 AM »
I did something stupid and broke a nice noodle rod (solid, fiberglass) that I made.  I just wound thread around a stiff, short piece of wire to splice the two ends together, then put a couple coats of guide epoxy on and have used it 3 years since then with no problems, perch and the occasional laker.

The blank itself is real inexpensive but I didn't want to try and have to salvage the guides and handle.  What I did works for me.

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Its kinda hard to do, but yes Ive broken a Niksik before, usually when stunning the Siifish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.