Author Topic: How do I use a flasher successfully  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
How do I use a flasher successfully
« on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I have a showdown troller 2 that I bought at the end of last season and haven't really had the chance to use it much yet. Just depth checking and setting up tipups.

My main species of target are pike, walleye, and perch side species will be burbot, Cisco, and rainbow trout. 

Ok let's get to strategy.

How do I use the troller best to catch more fish?

I've never seen anybody use a flasher of any sort but I was tired of never catching fish so I decided to give it a try. Our usual strategy is to randomly go onto the ice kind of near other people and setup the shack drill holes and drink beer. At my parents place we do have a target depth but generally only move the shack a few times a year.
Myself I use a fatfish 949 and live in a relatively new area (only 4 years) and have not fished it heavily enough to really now the lakes.

So how can I use my troller to better catch fish?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How do I use a flasher successfully
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:12 PM »
 me i use this to bring in how to read a scope this picture is of abook i have all the photo's i nthis hot are of the same thing so the top photo  of the guy fishing be low the  ice his jig at 10 foot and 12 foot is a fish is a very good example of this . the 15 foot mark must be bottom and the 30 foot mark on the graph is what scale it is on like 30 foot max depth.. now you see how to read a flasher the ice troller should be the same... 

see what i do is figure out were the fish is at and have the lure above it weather 6 inches to 2 foot has to be above it jiggle it a few time get it to come in on it then move it up another  foot jiggle it till it come up and smacks it some time no jiggling helps get  them to eat more some times ..  if you lost the fish try it again and again dropping the jig down to it getting it to follow up to the surface.

here is the picture of the above statement on how to read the flasher...

cone angle matters like at the same depth a 20 * cone angle will have a wider pattern then a 10 * cone angle the 20 will give a uncertain reading of were the fish is could be 2 feet away from the jig looking at it. so the tighter the cone angle the better it is...but depends on depth too...

picture of a home made genz box..how to assemble on at home for a fish finder..

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:24 PM »
if you would like there a isbn number for this book there is so much in this book that you should buy it..

isbn  0929384199  i know half.com and amazon sells it there is ton more in this book this is just a taste of it..

i think i got my copy for .75 cent with $3.25 on half .com also try else ware and infishermens web site  they sell it there to.

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:57 AM »
What a cool book!!!

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2014, 01:31 PM »
That looks like a really cool book I think I might have to order it thanks

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:58 PM »
I've been icing it for 50 years and picked it up this summer. Even though it's an old book with dated photos and discussions about older gear the fundamentals are still applicable and I learned 15-20 techniques/rigs to try out this year.  Well worth the money IMO.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:10 PM »
The showdown bar display will give you an idea of what's down below.
If you are planning on using it to see what's happening with a shiner on a tip-up you are short-changing yourself.
Flashers are most effective when used while jigging.
You will be able to discern your lure from any fish in the area, and you will be able to anticipate a strike because the bar chart shows real time action.

I hope this helps!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:49 PM »
I have a showdown troller 2 that I bought at the end of last season and haven't really had the chance to use it much yet. Just depth checking and setting up tipups.

My main species of target are pike, walleye, and perch side species will be burbot, Cisco, and rainbow trout. 

Ok let's get to strategy.

How do I use the troller best to catch more fish?

I've never seen anybody use a flasher of any sort but I was tired of never catching fish so I decided to give it a try. Our usual strategy is to randomly go onto the ice kind of near other people and setup the shack drill holes and drink beer. At my parents place we do have a target depth but generally only move the shack a few times a year.
Myself I use a fatfish 949 and live in a relatively new area (only 4 years) and have not fished it heavily enough to really now the lakes.

So how can I use my troller to better catch fish?

I have a FL-18 Vexilar - just a couple of observations from what I have learned:
- I move around alot when fishing - using the vexilar to get an idea of contours and locating fish.  I'll work a hole for 5-10 minutes - if I don't graph a fish i'm moving to another spot.
- You're flasher will also give you an idea of how fish are responding to your jig and presentation.  I have found that actively jigging will bring a fish in but I may have to slow down or stop jigging all together to get them to bite.  Also shows fish in the water column.  I've always been told that walleye and perch hug the bottom - which is true - but i have also marked fish 10 feet off the bottom and caught both.  Wouldn't know that without a flasher. 
- I use the Arctic Warrior tip ups and the flasher helps me get those set up so i have bait at varying depths off the bottom. 

Just a few things.  You can definitely catch fish without a flasher but it's still cool to see them come shooting off the bottom and nail your jig. 

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Thanks guys I've ordered that book and can't wait for it to get here.

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Gain setting of 5 - 7 is what I've found to work best after 2 years of using mine.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I plan to make a bracket for wearing the Troller 2.0 just above the knee. I hole hop a ton trying to stay on jumbo perch so I thought the lightness of the troller and mounting above the knee at an angle that is easy to see, would up my catch rate while reduce fatigue. It gets hard on the elbows and shoulders lugging the FL18 ultra pac all day!

I assume that reading the Troller will be the same as the vex...just vertical.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Got the book and put it to use today, went out after pike and even though I was using tipups I was able to Watch as a fish came onto my bait and followed my jigging then hit the bIt and set off my jawjacker that I made. Definitely a believer in the use. Of a flasher from know on.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:44 PM »
Jdawgsk1, Ah ha, success, they set off your JawJacker, really nice to see it coming.

How many did you ice that hit ? ;)2

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:38 AM »
The best strategy with any fish locator is to use it solely to find fish. Once you find them, drop your line and give them a few minutes. If they're not actively biting - move on until you find the active fish. The goal for any locator is to eliminate unproductive water.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Just got one but it was greedy I was using homemade quick strikes which I guess I need to crimp better because the first time I caught him he made it to the Top of the hole before pulling out the crimp. Then I switched to a new rig and caught the same one again and got my hook back both were firmly set.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.