New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Snowdog purchse  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Ohspit

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowdog purchse
« on: Nov 02, 2021, 05:57 PM »
So im going to get a snowdog for this years ice season as I dont have the ability to transport/store a snowmobile

I have a couple questions for any snowdog owners out there

1. I'm 27 and fairly fit is there really a reason for reverse?

2. Is it true i dont need to register it in ny? And what about the helmet situation?

3.what is the actual towing capacity as ive seen people skidding logs with no snow/dragging moose with no snow

4. How do you like your snowdog if you have one any advice for me?

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowdog purchse
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2021, 09:12 PM »
From the similar post in the Ice Fishing Transportation Page:

Bought the standard with reverse in Jan 2021 (that model is now called the "Utility B13MER" in the new 2022 lineup) and used it a total of 6 times before the season ended. It is awesome. Be ready, though, to take some time to really learn how to handle it. Many folks reference it as "tippy" and that it has issues going sideways on hills. That was my experience the first day I used it. But then I spent time actually learning how to steer it properly. On flat snow/ice yeah you only have to push the handle bars right or left and you are fine. However, the real way to steer it is to push the handle bars left/right some, but also pushing DOWN on either the right or left handles depending on which way you want to turn. This puts pressure on the back end of the track on that side and along with giving it throttle, it turns very easily. You also have to learn to trust the momentum and your handling as you make turns, especially if on hill sides. My initial reaction when if felt like it was getting tippy was to throttle back and slow down, but that's usually not the right thing to do. If you instead push down on the handle opposite the way its starting to tip, while also maintaining the throttle (maybe even giving it a little more) while you lean that direction, the track pulls itself back that way and corrects itself. Note: the newer 2022 models you will notice have slightly wider handle bars and they mount to the Snowdog at a wider position which only adds to the effectiveness of steering by pushing down along with right/left as the wider fulcrum maximizes that downward component of the steering. It takes practice, but once I got used to steering correctly, I never had any tipping issues again.

It pulls a ton of gear. I pulled my heavy self in the first sled, a jam-packed full-size jet sled  behind that, and then my Frabill Predator (with sleeping platform and tub full of overnight gear for 3 days of camping on the ice) all at once and it hardly even noticed the weight.  No, you won't get there as fast as your buddies on snowmobiles or ATVs, but it still gets you there WAY faster than walking and the maintenance is SO SIMPLE. If you can handle maintenance on a riding lawn mower, you'll have no problems with the Snowdog. Couple other suggestions:

1- Add additional lights or lightbar. You can get an additional headlight bracket from Snowdog dealers to add the second mount (it comes with the Y-wiring harness to plug into the existing wiring). The light it comes with isn't horrible, but I went with the Harbor Freight LED ditch lights that have side LEDs too and they are almost overkill.  But I Love it. See pic below
2- I bought Kold Kutter track studs but held off on installing until I saw if it was needed. I would say for 90%+ of instances, they aren't needed. I was on Flaming Gorge twice with glare ice and the track spins a little at first, but was still able to get me and 2 sleds going fine. I'm sure they would improve things, but they really don't seem critical...at least not yet. I may change my opinion if I ever need to get up an ice boat ramp or something.
3- Regardless of if you install studs or not, definitely get the Snowdog ice skates and install them on the sled. While the Snowdog did OK on the hard ice, the first sled I had that did not have the skates did like to slide out alot. When I got the sled later and installed the ice skates, I never slid out again.
4- If you go with a non-Snowdog sled...which if fine....be sure to set it up correctly to the Snowdog. You want the sled close enough so that you are standing in the middle of the sled when comfortably holding the handlebars. Your arms should be almost at your side while holding the handle bars so that when you go to push down along with left/right, you are using our body weight and not just trying to push down from a reaching position where you can't leverage your body weight.
I first used an otter pro sled and the hitch was too long, so I was standing near the front of the sled. This makes steering a bit harder as you really have to reach far out past the sled with your arms.  When you are standing in the middle of the sled it makes it much better. Also, be sure whatever sled you use is wide enough to stand with your feed at shoulder width or slightly wider. When you learn to steer it correctly, you learn that a slightly wider stance make a ton of difference. Note: I did end up getting the actual Snowdog sled once I was able to find a vendor that had one, and I have to say I do prefer it to the Otter Pro is was using at first.
5- Get a model with reverse if you can at all afford it. It makes loading/unloading much easier, but more importantly if you ever do get stuck in some slush or deep snow, you just reverse a few feet back on the track you just compacted and then hit it in forward again. Otherwise you have to get out and pull the sled out of the hole. While that isn't very hard, just throwing it in reverse and starting again forward is SO much easier.
(Image removed from quote.)
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Ohspit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2021, 10:21 PM »
From the similar post in the Ice Fishing Transportation Page:

I guess I should have looked harder in the fourm befor posting this

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2021, 06:05 PM »
I don’t own one myself my main fishing partner has one and I’ve used it many times as well. Great set up. It’s not hard to learn but it will take a time or two yes absolutely get the reverse and last I knew still no registration required. One thing learned was to always bring de-icing spray track and bogeys will freeze solid.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline FishingPhil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2021, 09:11 AM »
So im going to get a snowdog for this years ice season as I dont have the ability to transport/store a snowmobile

I have a couple questions for any snowdog owners out there

1. I'm 27 and fairly fit is there really a reason for reverse?

2. Is it true i dont need to register it in ny? And what about the helmet situation?

3.what is the actual towing capacity as ive seen people skidding logs with no snow/dragging moose with no snow

4. How do you like your snowdog if you have one any advice for me?

I own a snowdog and it’s been a great addition. I haven’t had the need for reverse. Once the engine is running, it pulls pretty easy backwards if you happen to get stuck. Deep Slush isn’t your friend (nor is it with a snowmobile). Key is to just keep it moving. I spray Pam on the bottom of the sleds to reduce snow and slush from accumulating on the bottom of the sleds. 
As for towing, I’ve pulled over 1,000 pounds easily across the ice with snowpack. I put studs in the track last year and it made a huge difference on glare ice.
 Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2021, 09:50 AM »
I own a snowdog and it’s been a great addition. I haven’t had the need for reverse. Once the engine is running, it pulls pretty easy backwards if you happen to get stuck. Deep Slush isn’t your friend (nor is it with a snowmobile). Key is to just keep it moving. I spray Pam on the bottom of the sleds to reduce snow and slush from accumulating on the bottom of the sleds. 
As for towing, I’ve pulled over 1,000 pounds easily across the ice with snowpack. I put studs in the track last year and it made a huge difference on glare ice.
 Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Yeah Phil  ;)

We have towed a lot of gear and people using the dog for miles...

I can attest to the capabilities of the snow dog. Its got one job and it does it VERY well.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

dakotaice

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:22 PM »
This will be my 3rd season with the dog. I use the reverse mainly for backing it up the ramp onto my tundra , which has a cap. The handle bar lays flat backing it up. Bit of a learning curve, but easily mastered. Ive had myself and 2 other adult men, each with loaded shanties and the "rider" sled and never had any issues except in deep slush. Unload the passengers and it pulled right out. 2 suggestions, #1 stud the track with kold kutter screws... a must for glare ice  and helpful in the slush. #2 spend 25$ for a Drainz-it hose. Itll make the oil changes a dream instead of a mess. Good luck !

Offline icecicle eddie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:44 PM »
bought one last feb love it at 79 i thought it would be my last ice fishing season could not pull my gear over 100 ft with out having to stop and rest a bit Now i can go Anyware I want to on any lake and I love to fish

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2022, 08:06 PM »
Snowdog is awesome. Definitely get reverse! Helps get it on and off the truck or trailer super easy.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:19 PM »
Has anyone seen the new electric snowdog kinda cool looking and it has reverse

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:45 PM »
Where did you purchase yours?

Offline Ohspit