Author Topic: Tough bite? i think  (Read 1683 times)

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
Tough bite? i think
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Alright guys try this one!  Im rather new at focusing strictly on crappie, now i've got this lake that is 8-10' deep at most w/ very little bottom fluctuation.  I have caught good sized crappie through the years but very inconsistently.  Ice fishing has been the toughest that i have found.  This past summer from the row boat i was always catching at least ten crappie on every outing.  The problem is this time of year they seem to completly stop biting.  A) Could that happen?  Any ideas of what i should do or try would b greatly appreciated as i plan on attacking this lake next week several times.  :)

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Tough bite? i think
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Do you mark any fish? They might be suspending and roaming during daytime hours in loose schools. Have you tried fishing at night for them? Some lakes have a better night bite or early morning bite. Where do you cath them in the summer? They may be relating to something such as a downed tree on the shore or rocks and suspending out in the deeper water near these.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Marking fish isn't a problem.  In the summer you can catch them almost everywhere as the weeds are very heavy, and consistent throughout the lake.  When i have caught them ice fishing over the years it seems i would catch maybe 5 tops in the morning and that would be it for the rest of the day.  I have not tried night fishing, but that is one new approach i will be taking. 

Offline mr.bibit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • owner/operator VTSPORTSMAN
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:19 PM »
try some tip-ups get more lines in the water to locate them.i use a aqua-vu its a good tool to find fish.
Scott
Vtsportsman hardwater tournament series

Offline thebrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "seize the carp"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Using tip-ups as a tool is nice if one flag gets hit over and over take your jig pole and some friends keep something in the water to keep them their.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Alright guys try this one!  Im rather new at focusing strictly on crappie, now i've got this lake that is 8-10' deep at most w/ very little bottom fluctuation.  I have caught good sized crappie through the years but very inconsistently.  Ice fishing has been the toughest that i have found.  This past summer from the row boat i was always catching at least ten crappie on every outing.  The problem is this time of year they seem to completly stop biting.  A) Could that happen?  Any ideas of what i should do or try would b greatly appreciated as i plan on attacking this lake next week several times.  :)

Try to find the deepest part of the lake...even if you can find some dimples in the bottom, they will be attracted to that. If you can find any standing weeds that are still healthy...that's your ticket. Also, as stated above, night fishing is probably the most productive fishing for Callies!
Good Luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.