Author Topic: Cant Find the Crappies  (Read 1597 times)

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cant Find the Crappies
« on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:36 PM »
I fish a lake that the max depth is 35 feet. Where will I find the crappies. Here is a map of the lake.
http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/silver.gif

Offline Pike Runner

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cant Find the Crappies
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:41 PM »
I haVE ALWAYS FOUND THAT THEY MOVE AROUND A LOT. mIGHT BE GOOD IN A SPOT FOR AN HOUR OR SO AND THEN NOTHING AND THEY MOVE ON. tHATS WHY I WILL DRILL ALOT OF MOVES IN A LARGE AREA TO BE ABLE TO MOVE WITH THE FISH. CRAPPIES WERE I FISH CAN BE IN MORE SWALLOW WATER AT TIMES AND THEN MOVE TO DEEPER WATER. HOWEVER ONCE YOU FIND THEM MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE TIME, WEATHER AND DEPTH YOU FOUND THEM AT. gOOD LUCK

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cant Find the Crappies
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:32 AM »
Just from looking at the map I would put most of my effort into the north half first. Between the island and the bottle neck would be the first spot I would try. I'm not sure what fish cribs are but I assume some kind of fish structure. I would sure think crappies would hold near and move between them even if they aren't very big. I think I would work my way up the right side shoreline near sundown staying just out from the steepest part of the drop off. I'd work it all the way up to the thumb like bay at the top.

This is all speculation because things like water clarity and pressure can make a huge difference. Normally I find crappies shallow in murky water, deeper and tighter to cover when it is clear or there is more pressure. If it is a murky lake the south end around and between the two 15' hole looks interesting to me.
I'm betting they will normally be suspended in that lake also. If you have a flasher watch it carefully and if you don't make sure you come up over half way up every once in a while. It may take more then a couple trips to figure out a spot or two.

Good luck, looks like a nice lake. Now go try it and tell me if I am even close.  :)
Tim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.