Author Topic: crappies  (Read 1495 times)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
crappies
« on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:10 PM »
this time of year considering the fact we are making ice on march 4 and dont see any serious melt coming soon i was wondering if the crappies start to move into the shallows (Where i find them in the early spring) or if they will be staging in deeper water waiting for there "roof" to come off. I know a few areas that anyone with a bobber and a minnow can catch limits as soon as the ice is gone just wondering if they would be in these areas or possibly deeper water directly adjacent to where i normally find them in early spring?

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: crappies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2007, 07:47 PM »
There's an easy way to test your question on your local body of water - give it a shot, at both areas!
Gotta feeling their movements are going to be somewhat different between lakes even considering similar end-of-ice conditions in an area......GL.
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:36 PM »
i plan on trying just wondering what other thoughts are

Offline kdu12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:42 PM »
I believe...and i am no expert...that crappies don't go into the weeds until the water temp hits 50 degrees about (at least here in Upstate NY).  I have fished for Spring crappie before and never had any luck in the shallows until the water warmed up.  I would guess that would mean they are staging or suspending in deep water until the temp warms up for the spawn.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.