Author Topic: Need help getting started.  (Read 1508 times)

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Need help getting started.
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I've never really targeted for crappies or panfish through the ice before this weekend. I'm more of a perch/walleye fisherman, so I don't know if my gear is too much/powerful and such. What gear do I need to get started? I do have a 27" HT Lite Medium, a 27" medium light, and a 30" medium action rod, some random mixed jigs, mostly Genz worms and the cripple supremes from Jammin Jigs, along with Hali's, pimples, and bibbets I use for perch and walleyes. Any tips/tactics would also help. Looking for ANY INFORMATION regarding panfish/crappies
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need help getting started.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:49 PM »
If you don't have a flasher I would say that is the first thing you need. Crappies are usually suspended when they are feeding and if you are only fishing down by the bottom you will be missing a lot of action. Any small jigs or spoons should be fine, and I like to use lighter action rods just because they are more fun.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Micro jig's and a spring bobber or ultra light rod .

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:56 PM »
1. Flasher
2. Micro jigs
3. Ultra light rod or good spring bobber

Sometimes I will have better luck deadsticking and tip downs than jigging just depends on the bite.
;

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:15 PM »
What kind of line should I use? I have a spring bobber that fits on my lighter action rod. Whats a micro jig?
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
~John Buchan

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:20 PM »
I have 3 different rods that I use with 3 different kinds of line
30in. Ultra Lite (used for jigging tiny jigs with waxies usually) 3lb line
27in lite with big eyelet on the tip (used for slipbobber fishing) 2lb line
25in medium lite (for jigging spoons, raps, droppers etc)

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:29 PM »
use your perch bibbits...bend the hook out a bit put a big perch eye on it and let it flutter to the depths...if your fishing craps in VT chances are pretty good that there will be holes where others are targeting em....talk to other fishermen who are fishing craps, or watch em to get an idea on how you want to do it...everyone does it differently....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I use a 2 or 3 pound line designed for ice fishing.  Put them on lite to ultra lite rods in the 24-36" range.  I also have a couple of panfish poppers deadstick rods that I love to use for crappie.  Never go over 3 pound on the line though.  Micro jigs are smaller jigs you can use for crappie and bluegill.  There are many types and styles: moon jigs, pinmins, bro bug, gill pill, etc.  A flasher is a must, one with a zoom feature is well worth the money.  My best secret for crappie is my own jig.  I'll enclose a picture.  The instructions to make it are in the favorite crappie jig thread.  Any more questions, message me or check some other threads in this section.

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Micro jigs are just that. Itty bitty jigs. Look at your pinky nail and its about the same length as the width of your nail or smaller. 1/32....1/64oz. You need to be warm to tie them on cause fat cold sausages don't tie well. Lol. I usually have half dozen tied on in different colors before I go out. Been doing good so far this year. Numbers could be better but quality has been there. 2# test stren,ultra light 36" cadillac rod and okuma fs 10 reel. I bring several rods out all set up similar just in different colors. Nice set up for gills, crappie or perch. Have landed bigger fish on this set up but was not fun.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going out on St. ALbans Bay tomorrow. Don't think I'll find much in the way of panfish, but I did make some small bibbets today. I used #12 scud hooks for fly tying. Made them plain white, we'll see how it goes.
~John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.