Author Topic: You like your underwater camera? Why?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
You like your underwater camera? Why?
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:45 PM »
With all the underwater cameras out there I was wondering what kinds you use and why you like your particular brand.  If I were to buy your camera, what would be its finer points you'd tell me about it so I'd buy it?  Are there negatives about your camera?
Thanks for your help guys.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: You like your underwater camera? Why?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:00 PM »
With all the underwater cameras out there I was wondering what kinds you use and why you like your particular brand.  If I were to buy your camera, what would be its finer points you'd tell me about it so I'd buy it?  Are there negatives about your camera?
Thanks for your help guys.
Started out with a 99 dollar Harbor Freight model. Loved it after re-organizing the components and cables so it did not have to be removed from the case. But it fails in very cold weather.

Now have an aqua view and have no complaints at all. Sure makes the heart skip a beat when a 40+ inch Pike zooms in!!! The cameras are awesome onlakes whgere sorting is needed. You are able to select specific fish to target and pull away from smaller ones thus saving bait and increasing the catch in short order!! Great for finding structure and determining specifics needed to seal the deal.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:03 PM »
We have two Aqua-VU models, the MC series (multi-colored lights) and the ZT series with the IR lights. Both are very compact and have a good clear picture. I have found the IR lights are the most useful because they won't drive out fish when you turn them on. The MC model will scare off fish when I hit the lights but after they have been on a while they do bring in baitfish (after dark) which helps the crappies stay interested a little longer.
The camera is an excellent addition to augment the flasher since you actually observe a lot of the fish's behavior. The downside if you only have a camera is you only see what's in front of the camera and you will miss fish above or below the camera. The flasher shows everything else.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I enjoy my Aqua-vu because it keeps the grand kids interested between flags; plus when you can see a pike swim by it gets your heart racing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I have the aqua-vu scout, well made,good service from nature vision. The DVR is a great add on, I`d get it.  Mine is about 4 yrs. old & has taken some accidental abuse with no problems.  The cable is much more pliable at low temps. than cabelas. I`d also recomend the tri-pod for ice fishing. Only thing I don`t like is the DVR is not compatible with windows vista, it has greatly improved my fishing.  :)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I have had an Aqua Vu for a few years, just gave it away over the weekend and getting a Marcum 820. While the VU did ok the difference in image quality was amazing between a VU and the Marcums. The old VU was good as a beginner unit, just time to step up to the top. Even the 380's have incredible image quality and not badly priced.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I have had an Aqua Vu for a few years, just gave it away over the weekend and getting a Marcum 820. While the VU did ok the difference in image quality was amazing between a VU and the Marcums. The old VU was good as a beginner unit, just time to step up to the top. Even the 380's have incredible image quality and not badly priced.

I have read about the Marcums.  What is the difference between the 380 and the 820 that warrants the extra $200 for the 820?  Just curious, cause they are both black and white.  Thanks.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:26 PM »
380 has a smaller screen, 820 a flat screen thats heated and higher pixel count. 825C is the same as the 820 but with color.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:38 PM »
I do like it on certain lakes........ on some lakes it's just draging extra unused gear out with me.  I wish I got a flasher first but I did it backwards. They are not very mobile like a flasher where you can pick it up with one hand and go, with the camera you either wrap the cable back up or hold it over your head so you don't step on it and fall, go back get your tri-pod and re-set it all back up and get it pointed the way you want it. Enough current underneath you and you'll never see your jig. Nice to have when your trying to get someone hooked into ice fishing. I'm ready for a flasher, hope they go on sale soon.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Already own the Vexilar.  Wouldn't fish w/o it.  I just want the camera for looking at bottom composition and on occasion watching my jig and the fishes reaction to it.  I agree though..it is tough to move around and re set up every time.  The Vex ....I just pick up and move until I see fish. Done.

Offline doogie494

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I told you, you'ld know!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:50 PM »
 i like my cam to see the contour and the reaction of the fish, but wished i would have gotten the vex first.

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective!- Ted Nugent

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2009, 01:51 PM »
Great for finding structure and determining specifics needed to seal the deal. Also for watching your jigging presentation to watch a fish react. Other than having to break it down and set it up at every hole you want to look in and the extra weight in my sled, My Aqua Vu Smart Vu is a great second tool to a flasher. :tipup:

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:37 PM »
I like my FishTV, BUT, I think I am gonna sell it since I rarely use it.

Offline Geno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:44 PM »
I had the Cabela's Advanced Angler's camera. The more expensive of the 2 models with infrared, 100ft cables and larger screen. What a junker! 

I tried it on 3 different occassions in different lakes/water types and light conditions. I highly recommend saving for a higher end unit. It seems like Aqua-Vu gets the best reviews
"when hell freezes over I'll be icefishing there too"

Offline timschrots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:51 PM »
I've got this guy.
http://store.seaview.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=60

I use my dvd player as the monitor.  It's got color and infared b/w.
I like it, but I've never used any other kind, so I don't know the difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.