Author Topic: If you are caught doing this........  (Read 8716 times)

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
Re: If you are caught doing this........
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:23 PM »
yes sir, selective harvest people!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:30 PM »
it's funny everybody thinks there a tough guy.  i'll tell you something, there is ALWAYS someone else out there that will put it too ya!  the toughest guy sooner than later is out muscled and just gets his chops busted in, because they think they are meaner, tougher and the baddest dude on the ice or this planet.  keep in mind, WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER PERSON WILL BE YOUR WORST ENEMY.  just as we always say safe ice first then fish second, because your life is more important than fish, also goes for the nutt cases out there that might just go psycho and now your beaten to a pulp or even worse.  are those fish really worth your well being.  we all think we are tough, because were men, but your thought isn't heard by others!

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Its not about being tough its about having the courage to to whats right even when it hurts and killing for the sake of killing is not right....

Offline moosebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some guys have bigger jig sticks then others!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:41 PM »
it's funny everybody thinks there a tough guy.  i'll tell you something, there is ALWAYS someone else out there that will put it too ya!  the toughest guy sooner than later is out muscled and just gets his chops busted in, because they think they are meaner, tougher and the baddest dude on the ice or this planet.  keep in mind, WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER PERSON WILL BE YOUR WORST ENEMY.  just as we always say safe ice first then fish second, because your life is more important than fish, also goes for the nutt cases out there that might just go psycho and now your beaten to a pulp or even worse.  are those fish really worth your well being.  we all think we are tough, because were men, but your thought isn't heard by others!
WOW DJ slow down. It went from putting fish back to killing someone on the ice!!

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:10 PM »
Well a-bomb, I understand what you're saying.  But I'll have to say that there are lakes that you and your buddies won't fish because of the quality of the fish.  How do you expect the quality of these lakes to improve?  I'll give you crooked lake for example.  The bass got infected with a virus which killed alot of the smaller weaker fish, and now that lake has come back stronger than ever.  the quality and numbers of fish in that lake are high.  I can see the point from both sides.  Its all in what you believe to be the best for the lakes
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:14 PM »
WOW DJ slow down. It went from putting fish back to killing someone on the ice!!

i never used the word kill in my statement.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:19 PM »
I am a true sportsman a serious outdoorsman and one hell of an athlete and and a profesional roofer i will take my  chances like i always do despite what you say when you root for the "bad people"I love the outdoors and and could care less about the people who purposely disrespect it.  :nono:

Offline moosebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:27 PM »
i never used the word kill in my statement.
DJ Im sorry you never did say kill! But you sure sound pretty mean with your words!!Cant we all get along?

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:41 PM »
i don't dislike anyone on this site, just stating my opinion about how to get a better fishery in your area.  the same people complaining about this issue will be the same ones complaining about there fishery and how the quality of fish stinks in the water they fish.  you here it quite a bit on this site where most fisherman go out and catch a lot of dinks.  i go out a lot and catch dinks also and it does get frustrating.  selective harvesting is the only way to help a lake that has stunted or over abundance of little ones.  rather we keep them or not it's the right thing to do, is to keep most of the smaller fish and throw back the bigger ones.  also save a few for the birds!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:47 PM »
I am a true sportsman a serious outdoorsman and one hell of an athlete and and a professional roofer i will take my chances like i always do despite what you say when you root for the "bad people"I love the outdoors and and could care less about the people who purposely disrespect it.  :nono:

never said anything toward you or the way you think about this topic.  also never degraded your outdoorsman-ship either.  you can takes your chances with whom you wish, just remember what i said earlier, WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER PERSON WILL BE YOUR WORST ENEMY.  you will take your chances with the wrong person and then hopefully nothing bad happens.  but in today's society nobody ever really knows.  just keeping it real, man. :cookoo:

also did a spell check for you, misspelled a few words. ;D

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:50 PM »
never said anything toward you or the way you think about this topic.  also never degraded your outdoorsman-ship either.  you can takes your chances with whom you wish, just remember what i said earlier, WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER PERSON WILL BE YOUR WORST ENEMY.  you will take your chances with the wrong person and then hopefully nothing bad happens.  but in today's society nobody ever really knows.  just keeping it real, man. :cookoo:

also did a spell check for you, misspelled a few words. ;D
I can respect that. ;D

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:53 PM »
hey no hard words or feelings towards anybody here, just here learning new things and trying the new things i have learned.  i'm no different than you or anybody else here.  i enjoy the ice when we have it and i'm sure you do too. :)

Offline moosebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Good job guys thats how you get along!!! Let the flags fly!!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Good job guys that's how you get along!!! Let the flags fly!!

hey moosebait just make sure you keep letting those big ones back so i can catch'em!! ;)

Offline moosebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:15 PM »
hey moosebait just make sure you keep letting those big ones back so i can catch'em!! ;)
DJ I let them swim free!! I let a gold pin tiger musky go two years ago!

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:21 PM »
hey no hard words or feelings towards anybody here, just here learning new things and trying the new things i have learned.  i'm no different than you or anybody else here.  i'm enjoy the ice when we have it and i'm sure you do too. :)
This guy was not being a j@#$k he was basically saying be carefull.He is cool 8)and real.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:26 PM »
jd, i love walking by the guys who claim the lake is stunted and yet some anglers can go out and get quality and quanity if they want. i agree that situations like crooked do happen but does that mean i should have killed every 13 inch bass i caught out there? wow, wonder how much a pile of bass on the ice would cost.

Around here nature can take its course thru disease, winter kills(as in the case of overpopulated stunted gills) or the dnr as in jc murrphy.  Most lakes recieve enough pressure to not have to worry about overpopulations.  the few "stunted" waters i know of are private.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:34 PM »
DJ I let them swim free!! I let a gold pin tiger musky go two years ago!
aND ITS ALL MY FAULT :'(

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Has any one ever heard the word RESPECT, we as anglers should respect the waters we fish or their won't be any fish in them. It seems to me that throwing a fish on the ice to die a slow death is not respectfull of life. We as anglers should badger and just be totally annoying to any one we see throwing fish on the ice. I find that just walking up to someone and talking to them like a 5 year old in the back seat on a long trip will make most people leave. I normally start with how would you feel if a big fish hooked you and left you here to die, that gets the "look" than give them the wow does your mom know that she raised a serial killer. By this time most people want to hit me that's when I give them the "do it I need the money" that's right hit me in front of all the people on the lake, at this point every one I have had to confront just leaves!!! As for the what size fish to keep debate I follow the Al Linder school of thought "selective harvest" I only keep enough for a meal and try to take mid size fish let the big ones breed and the dinks grow... Thats my 2 cents.

that sounds like one of the most stupid ways to handle the situation I could think of...  just remember if the guy has nothing the "do I need the money" bullcrap isnt worth anything...  and the guy just might give you a beatin worth the money if he has money  LOL... and I am not condoning wasting fish just your approach to handling the situation...

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:33 PM »
I like to go for a sled ride in the evening after everyone else is gone and it never fails, I will see a number of holes with like a dozen perch around them. It disgusts me to think a fellow fisherman can do this. I understand that it's annoying when all you're getting is little bait stealers when you're going for that big hawg, but let me welcome you to the sport of fishing. This practice needs to end and end now! Real fisherman don't behave this way, so if you do it, please don't sign up on this site.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:37 PM »
OK so how would you handle it? Some would say walk up and slap them, others would call the CO tip line (best option but in my area they would never make it out in time) or just let them kill the fish and do nothing? I might get my butt kicked but to me it is better than doing nothing. So how about let's see what people have done in this situation and maybe we can learn a few new tricks to deal with it...

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:53 PM »
How about drill a hole 2 feet away from his and then throw all the fish back, dead or alive. I wouldn't even say anything, just do it and ignore him. He can't do anything more than bit** at you. If you do say anything, tell him he is obviously smart enough to catch the fish, but clueless on what to do next and that he needs to stop posing as an icefisherman.  :D
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:02 PM »
How about drill a hole 2 feet away from his and then throw all the fish back, dead or alive. I wouldn't even say anything, just do it and ignore him. He can't do anything more than bit** at you. If you do say anything, tell him he obviously smart enough to catch the fish, but clueless on what to do next and that he needs to stop posing as an icefisherman.  :D
LOL would try it, but I am lucky in PA some lakes now have size limits on panfish so you can't just kill the dinks you gotta put them back. They started a few years ago and now most of the lakes in my area are on the list.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2008, 04:55 AM »
Wow, this thread has sure gone up & down.

I want to put my $.02 in again.

I believe if you are legally fishing & catch a fish, you have to make a decision regardless of whether it is small(dink), an "keeper/eater", or a trophy. Keep it, or return it to the water. To me, those are the only choices. To leave them on the ice is a waste. They can't get bigger, if you leave them on the ice. There are folks out there that, to catch Any fish thru the ice is great to them! Especially when it's kids who are fishing.
 As I said , just my $.02 .
 Enjoy!
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:13 AM »
I believe  that it is an area location decision many locations have fish that are totally undesirable and the biologist want you to "ice em" some of you cherish perch up here they are undesirable "wormy garbage fish" some, the Bucket biologist, put into the lakes "Bass". this costs me money  yea  my tax money for IF&W to kill off then restock   always not a good feeling to see signs that say don't drink the water or fish  in it due to them chemically killing a lake  esp when that brook adjoins your property and you have a well.  Id rather someone ice the perch and bass esp perch where there is no limit and feed the eagles than have them kill the lake and all the tributaries from that lake.  As far as approaching someone on the ice that is a wrong approach. make your call if you want approach someone it could be dangerous to yourself  plus Maine has a sportsman harassment law then who would be carted away??  Be smart mind your own business If someone is breaking the law don't take it into your own hands call the warden service Lives / safety are not worth it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline limpbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:17 AM »
i watched a guy through my binocs carry a pickerl and toss it on the ice, aways from his fishin spot, im thinking ill get that fish if he dont want it. anyway a little later i see the seagulls surround it and start picking at it, then the seagulls split and i see an eagle dive bomb it several times till it lands and pics it up and away it goes, watching with binocs it takes it to atall white pine on shore ware it devours it. one of the best shows ive ever whitnessed. growing up on the st lawrence fishing with dad we always bounced rockys, sunnies and perch off the 57 johnson motor, the gulls would take them all, that was the way. needless to say i dont do that, except in trout streams with suckers and chubs. anymore.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:30 AM »
How about drill a hole 2 feet away from his and then throw all the fish back, dead or alive. I wouldn't even say anything, just do it and ignore him. He can't do anything more than bit** at you. If you do say anything, tell him he is obviously smart enough to catch the fish, but clueless on what to do next and that he needs to stop posing as an icefisherman.  :D
Good one ;D

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:33 AM »
i watched a guy through my binocs carry a pickerl and toss it on the ice, aways from his fishin spot, im thinking ill get that fish if he dont want it. anyway a little later i see the seagulls surround it and start picking at it, then the seagulls split and i see an eagle dive bomb it several times till it lands and pics it up and away it goes, watching with binocs it takes it to atall white pine on shore ware it devours it. one of the best shows ive ever whitnessed. growing up on the st lawrence fishing with dad we always bounced rockys, sunnies and perch off the 57 johnson motor, the gulls would take them all, that was the way. needless to say i dont do that, except in trout streams with suckers and chubs. anymore.
SUCKERS AND CHUBS THOWN IN THE FREEZER ARE GOOD BAIT AT LEAST MAKE A COUPLE BUCKS ;D

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:47 PM »
I say "why stop at leaving the little ones on the ice to die"?  I am a true 'sportsmen' so I plan on going a few steps further in all my sporting activities.  PLEASE my fellow "sportsmen"  join me in righting these wrongs:

All deer will be shot on site ( I am tired of running into them in my car). Let 'em lay.  Feed the eagles.
   We need to start killing more turkeys.  There are planty of them around now (say a flock of 23 last month), so if you want one, get one.
   The other day I saw a field with 75-100 pheasants feeding in it and thought to myself, "all those pheasants and I'm not allowed to shoot hens? - That ain't right."  Hens are now fair game.
   Over the last several years I have caught many walleyes with perch in their bellies.  I like catching perch.  All  my eyes are gonna stay on the ice from now on - they are just too hard on the perch.
   I have two mourning doves that wake me up every morning with their cooing (I have a neighbor with the same problem) Now  I shoot all of them and let em lay. 
   My local trout lake has a bunch of 8-10 trout. Stunted I am pretty sure ( I took biology in high school so I should know).  I just put some pike in there last week.  According to my calculations - the trout shouldn't be stunted anymore in about 19 months.
    I saw on the discovery channel where this guy got attacked by a moose.  Bullwinkle is now dead if I see him - I mean -  I walk to my treestand in the DARK.  You expect me to take a chance at getting attacked by leaving a moose alive? Nah-sir.
    Ducks and geese don't taste all that good - does the DNR actually expect us to EAT them things?  I'd like to see one of THEM eat a Gadwall!  Haha.  I laugh just thinkin about it.  Thats why they go in my uncles rockpile (if someone is watching and I need to pick them up).
   Fish do make GREAT fertizer - any of the Crappies I catch get thrown onto the shore to help the cattails grow.  Two benefits - first you don't have to clean them, second I learned in biology (did I mention I took biology in High SChool?) that cattails are the prefered habitat of Gadwalls.

Join me everybody!  Teach your kids right! The DNR doesn't know what they are doing, so if we plan to have fish and game for our kids - we need to take matters into our own hands!  As my dad used to tell me as he was dropping "dinks" on the ice (a few for the birds)  - "the common man can't CHANGE the laws - so why should he FOLLOW them?". 

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:33 PM »
I say "why stop at leaving the little ones on the ice to die"?  I am a true 'sportsmen' so I plan on going a few steps further in all my sporting activities.  PLEASE my fellow "sportsmen"  join me in righting these wrongs:

All deer will be shot on site ( I am tired of running into them in my car). Let 'em lay.  Feed the eagles.
   We need to start killing more turkeys.  There are planty of them around now (say a flock of 23 last month), so if you want one, get one.
   The other day I saw a field with 75-100 pheasants feeding in it and thought to myself, "all those pheasants and I'm not allowed to shoot hens? - That ain't right."  Hens are now fair game.
   Over the last several years I have caught many walleyes with perch in their bellies.  I like catching perch.  All  my eyes are gonna stay on the ice from now on - they are just too hard on the perch.
   I have two mourning doves that wake me up every morning with their cooing (I have a neighbor with the same problem) Now  I shoot all of them and let em lay. 
   My local trout lake has a bunch of 8-10 trout. Stunted I am pretty sure ( I took biology in high school so I should know).  I just put some pike in there last week.  According to my calculations - the trout shouldn't be stunted anymore in about 19 months.
    I saw on the discovery channel where this guy got attacked by a moose.  Bullwinkle is now dead if I see him - I mean -  I walk to my treestand in the DARK.  You expect me to take a chance at getting attacked by leaving a moose alive? Nah-sir.
    Ducks and geese don't taste all that good - does the DNR actually expect us to EAT them things?  I'd like to see one of THEM eat a Gadwall!  Haha.  I laugh just thinkin about it.  Thats why they go in my uncles rockpile (if someone is watching and I need to pick them up).
   Fish do make GREAT fertizer - any of the Crappies I catch get thrown onto the shore to help the cattails grow.  Two benefits - first you don't have to clean them, second I learned in biology (did I mention I took biology in High SChool?) that cattails are the prefered habitat of Gadwalls.

Join me everybody!  Teach your kids right! The DNR doesn't know what they are doing, so if we plan to have fish and game for our kids - we need to take matters into our own hands!  As my dad used to tell me as he was dropping "dinks" on the ice (a few for the birds)  - "the common man can't CHANGE the laws - so why should he FOLLOW them?". 

If they are such good fertilizer take them with you if there is a hungry eagle leave a few but dont be disrespectful to nature and you know what i mean.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.