The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Tested the ice today  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tested the ice today
« on: Jan 04, 2024, 12:23 PM »
On Pushaw.  About 3.5 inches so not ready yet but soon.  I drilled the hole very near shore as I don't have a death wish. 

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tested the ice today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2024, 02:12 PM »
Thanks Jack. Pretty soon.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2024, 03:46 PM »
Have enjoyed fishing Pushaw.   Those big humpback white perch....very tasty. 
Hope this high wind today doesn't break up the ice that has formed there.
 :tipup:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2024, 08:16 AM »
Ice must have made up more last night in Cumberland at 3am it was 13 deg, Anxious to start putting in some Perch filllets in freezer and stomach

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2024, 08:31 AM »
Ice must have made up more last night in Cumberland at 3am it was 13 deg, Anxious to start putting in some Perch filllets in freezer and stomach
I'm gonna be over some crappies tomorrow!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2024, 09:26 AM »
7 inches on a pond in my area.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2024, 09:44 AM »
On Pushaw.  About 3.5 inches so not ready yet but soon.  I drilled the hole very near shore as I don't have a death wish.
More than enough for me to fish lol

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2024, 10:45 AM »
I can catch a lot of crappies in spring but ive tried all around on same pond and just cant find them tru ice!!!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2024, 11:03 AM »
I can catch a lot of crappies in spring but ive tried all around on same pond and just cant find them tru ice!!!!

One way to catch them is at sunrise and sunset. If the pond has any zooplankton in it the crappies may suspend in mid depth water (15-30' typically) and move with the zooplankton as it emerges around sunset and settles back down before sunrise. Otherwise they can be anywhere in the water column. We typically swiss cheese an area we suspect has crappie, 100 holes 10 paces apart is not a lot. Walk from hole to hole and check for marks. Once you find them, they usually hang around a small area.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2024, 01:19 PM »
I checked several places yesterday, Halls Pond, Canton Lake, & Worthley and all had less than 2" of ice, but hopefully all made more ice last night. Now lets hope the Snow coming does not ruin it as I am ready to go fish

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2024, 07:25 PM »
Just heard from a neighbor on Caribou lake and he Measured 4" of ice today. Getting closer

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2024, 08:21 PM »
Pushaw had ice skaters on it today January 6th. The ice is from shore to shore and looks solid.  I am going to check ice depth again Monday and hopefully Tuesday give it a try.  Wednesday doesn't look good, but I think I can sneak in before the storm sets us back again.  Tomorrow is dedicated to assembling my Smitty sled kit that finally got here and doing a few mods to the sled.   I won't actually need it to fish Tuesday, but we are using Tuesday to test all the new equipment my friends bought and get the kinks out close to home.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2024, 05:14 PM »
Bored 5 holes starting near shore and working out to about 250 feet offshore.  Had consistent black ice of 4 to 5 inches.  Ran by the bait shop and picked up 3 dozen shiners and tomorrow we hit the ice.  There was a sketchy looking spot about half a mile from where I stopped but I think we are in business.   For some reason that spot always looks bad but there are no springs or current or inlets anywhere near it.  The water there is knee deep and then drops off to around 10 feet slowly going to a max of 15.  We will just stick with the cove I'm in and call it good.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2024, 01:03 PM »
Upper Range. 1/11/24 @ noon.
2" of water on the 2-3" of ice near shore. Water level will be dropping as the storm water goes over the dam.
More warm and snow and rain on the way before the cold comes back. Not looking good. :-(

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:31 PM »
So probably good for shore fishing or launching a boat on Sunday  :P ?

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:09 PM »
Yup. I might have to drag the kayaks back out of storage. lol

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2024, 07:00 PM »
Here in Cumberland and Gray id have to use my Canoe to test the ice right now temp is 37 deg.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2024, 10:26 AM »
They're fishing at the boat ramp on Upper Range again today. The path through the swamp across from the cell tower road has open water.
Middle Range is still mostly open water. I didn't check Lower Range but the outflow going into Poland Village has open water.
Tripp is frozen over but I didn't see anyone out there.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2024, 02:53 PM »
Looking at weather map for the next week or so ,a few nights will be in single digets , so next week ill probaly be able to start to stock up my freezer with Crappie and perch fillets. Because of this last rain  around inlets  and spring holes  will be a lot of thin ice. if we get a snow cover it will be bad for fishermen with no local awareness. ( please all be very careful)   Carry a rope with a float on one end

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2024, 03:47 PM »
Went to Cabelas today.  Wife got her float bibs, and ordered a jacket.  The float suit is the first step, certainly an investment,  but the right call given the past few years.  I was always taught that all accidents are a "chain of events" the key is breaking the chain.  Ive said it many times, but have a plan and gear for the "Oh fu.."  Send the biggest guy (me in my group) out on a rope to drill or spud, and be prepared for the worse.  Headed North in 2 weeks, and will give an ice report.  Big lake and I fish sketchy area.  Be safe everyone

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2024, 04:10 PM »
Checked a medium pond today that had good ice before this last storm. I'd say the ice was still fine but the pond was up at least 1.5'. Once the water level drops, it'll be good! Crappies... Where I fished Friday, there was solid black ice 7 -9".
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2024, 12:13 PM »
Walked down to Upper Range at lunch time. There were people fishing near the west shore and near the south swamp.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2024, 01:33 PM »
I cut a hole in my farm pond a few min. ago and 5" of solid ice, its been a little colder up there so probaly 6" of ice , My ice was 2" clear and 3" FROM SLUSH  but i was able to walk around with no cracking at all . The spring holes are clear all the way tru, looks like a couple of more days small ponds  and lakes will be safe ,But we all need to stay away from inlets.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:57 AM »
Weather and Temps looking like the right direction the next few days!!! With water levels dropping, we should  be able to get there!!!  I'd really like to get on these ones!!! maybe next week!!!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2024, 07:59 AM »
Boy thats the biggest Yellow ive ever seen new state record, Some good fillets there. 24 deg. here this morn,  it just started snowing driveway now white,

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10:12 AM »
Boy thats the biggest Yellow ive ever seen new state record, Some good fillets there. 24 deg. here this morn,  it just started snowing driveway now white,
Yeah, I caught a coupe a little bigger. The State record came fro the same pond. The bio said one of mine would have been in the running... But we're talking measures of a 1/4 inch and an ounce, more or less...

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10:31 AM »
Yellow  perch Record for yellow perch  was By Martina Drugovich  16" 2.12 lbs ---- Lake Erie was 2.98 lbs  16 7/8" girth

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10:50 AM »
Yellow  perch Record for yellow perch  was By Martina Drugovich  16" 2.12 lbs ---- Lake Erie was 2.98 lbs  16 7/8" girth
New York as of this year...
3 lb. 8 oz.
Current State Records
Current State Record Fish as of January 1, 2024
Species   Weight   Date
Perch, Yellow   3 lb. 8 oz.   4/28/1982

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2024, 12:47 PM »
I read that in order to get big Yellow perch size they need Fresh water shrimp. The state has stocked them in some Lakes??

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:40 AM »
That 16 incher would have been good seed for future generations.
Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.