Author Topic: Flip over shacks best for walking  (Read 6541 times)

Offline redzmvt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flip over shacks best for walking
« Reply #60 on: Dec 23, 2022, 11:48 PM »
I had done a ton of research last year and came up with the Shappell FX100 as my choice. Lightest weight, smallest footprint, but still a good fishable area. I had a Shappell Rover 1.5 (which translates to the FX150) but it weighed 70 pounds empty, so I wanted to go smaller and lighter.  I was happy with the quality, though! That tent withstood some good winds for many years.

Finding the FX100 is the issue, so I just bought a Clam Kenai Pro, at only 10 pounds heavier. It's still in my livingroom where I put it together, so my info is limited. The sled is very deep, and the fishable area seems adequate. The footprint actually has a curve to it, so I think the dragging might be easier with the sides being a little raised.

I slid the seat way back and thought that I could possibly try a sleepover fairly comfortably.

For what it's worth, that's my review of the Kenai in my livingroom. :)

I got the Kenai Pro last December,and do like it.Can load/unload it with all gear in it,and sled is deep enough where nothing will fall out of it.Plus the center apron is perfect to store rods in tubes,can get 4 in there under seat.Pulls easy,but does tend to push wet snow/slush.Smitty sled would fix that when pulling by hand.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 24, 2022, 12:01 PM »
Lots of good info here.  I’ll add my two cents. First, forget about Clam or any brand that has sewn in windows.  I prefer Eskimo.  Otter would be great if you win the lottery.  I’m not sure if Otter has sewn in windows or not.  You don’t need a deer harness.  As mentioned earlier, get about 30-32 feet of the thickest nylon rope (one of those tight woven colored ones) that will go though the holes in the sled. 3/4” or 5/8” would be better, but no thinner than 1/2”.  That’ll make your pull rope 15 feet long.  Just pull with it around your waist.  Other people in your crew can fall in behind and help pull.  Also, a Smitty sled is worth it’s weight in gold.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 24, 2022, 01:12 PM »
I totally understand the argument for removable windows but one thing I noticed before looking at shelters is that the frabill and eskimo shelters had a different feel to their windows like they would crack over time.  Other thing i noticed with the clam windows is they just feel different, much softer even in cold weather, almost making them crack resistant but that just might be me.  Not sure.  Plus a another good idea is to install velcro patches inside and just buy replacement windows in case they ever did tear.  I’ve had my flip over for a handful of years and have yet to see a tear or anything in my windows.

Offline 4°Fahrenheit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 24, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I pull the wide one by hand.  I'm guessing my entire gear set is still under 100#. I fish a wind blown res that offers little snow so I can hand pull a lot of weight with little effort.  The wooded lakes are snow covered.  I probably wouldn't want to pull that on them unless the snow mobilers packed the trails; as long as the sled isn't pushing/packing snow.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Dec 25, 2022, 01:06 PM »
How do you think I found you on BML when we didn't even discuss where we were fishing  ;D

Hahahahhaha that was funny.  Kevin (lavaman) found me surfcasting in the middle of nowhere RI.  I almost died!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.