Author Topic: New Hub Shelter Advice Please  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
New Hub Shelter Advice Please
« on: Dec 06, 2022, 05:00 PM »
I'm looking to buy a new hub shelter in the next few days.  My kids are adults now and the three of us dont fit into our flip over anymore.  Right now I have a one man Frabil Commando and a Yukon XL that works, but we can't all fit inside the same shack, soooo I'm looking for a hub.  I've fished from a few and have looked at billion youtube reviews and I really seem to have one question.  Are the new style hubs with the full size door the way to go, or stay with the traditional triangle door.  I'll be looking at a medium sized unit and it seems that Clam still has the triangle door while Otter and Eskimo both have the full size door.  While the big door seems nice, it also adds 3 little tent poles that have to be assembled or have the potential to get lost.  It also seems like the door might make set up a bit more difficult.  Even more so, it seems like you almost would have to anchor the door sides down even on a calm day.   Who here has one of the new hubs with the full size door and what are your thoughts so far?  Thanks!!!

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Hub Shelter Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05:09 PM »
Since i got a hub with a full door i wont be going back.. If you like to chase flags and have multiple people with you its the only way to go. I've never used a clam, but i sure do like my eskimo 450xd. If you can justify the cost, its a no brainer.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05:23 PM »
Couple of features I would recommend...removable windows ...insulated ..grommets in the skirt .. a good tie down system...no ropes... good anchors. I like the full door ...but it is not a deal breaker if you get a diamond door . I have a Eskimo 949i ...serves me well .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2022, 06:02 PM »
I have an eskimo outbreak 650, love the door, I'm thinking about getting a smaller outbreak to replace my 3 man hub just so I can have the big door in the smaller hub too.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2022, 07:06 PM »
I really do like the big door no trip, that has finally come back onto portable shelters.   The door is smaller than on the old Clam suitcase shelters, but I don't miss the triangle hub shelter doors at all.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2022, 11:00 PM »
Wish I would have gotten a full door shack. I got an otter vortex lodge a year ago and I have yet to use it…

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2022, 02:02 AM »
I have an Eskimo Outbreak 450XD and a 250XD.  They are great shelters.  The full "No Trip" door panel is the way to go for a hub; I struggle to see how anyone who has actually fished with one could say otherwise.

They each setup very quickly.  I try to angle the door with the wind, so that the wind is blowing ~180 degrees away (out) from the door.  I do not use the extra door poles, I do not even bring them along.  I always anchor down at least the side opposite of the door, and usually a couple other points. The anchors install into the ice and come out very quickly if you use a drill and adapter (just be careful, keep your fingers very clear at all times).  Take-down and pack-up seems to take the same amount of time and effort as it did for hubs w/out the walk-thru door. 

The 450XD gets a bit tight with three men jigging and their gear.  If just sitting there watching flags, 4 people fit just fine.  So in your case, you may want to consider a size up (which would be the 650XD if you went with the Outbreak line).

Best of luck to you whichever way you go.

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:43 PM »
Thank you guys for exactly the information I was looking for!  Since the full size door is a relatively new thing, I was a bit cautious as I am with any feature.  I am definitely going with one of the full size door models.  I'm down to the Eskimo 650XD or the Otter Vortex Pro Resort.  Both are about 100 sq. ft and seem to be very similar in quality and features.  Windows that open were a big thing for me and they both have that, otherwise, it's a coin toss.  More than likely it will probably boil down to availability and the best deal.  Thanks again!!

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:53 PM »
Couple of features I would recommend...removable windows ...insulated ..grommets in the skirt .. a good tie down system...no ropes... good anchors. I like the full door ...but it is not a deal breaker if you get a diamond door . I have a Eskimo 949i ...serves me well .
Yep all this!
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2022, 05:00 AM »
Thank you guys for exactly the information I was looking for!  Since the full size door is a relatively new thing, I was a bit cautious as I am with any feature.  I am definitely going with one of the full size door models.  I'm down to the Eskimo 650XD or the Otter Vortex Pro Resort.  Both are about 100 sq. ft and seem to be very similar in quality and features.  Windows that open were a big thing for me and they both have that, otherwise, it's a coin toss.  More than likely it will probably boil down to availability and the best deal.  Thanks again!!

The Otter has a unique corner tie down system which looks to be real useful .

4:00 mark

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:44 AM »
I have an Eskimo 9416i currently for a hub shelter. When it comes time to replace it, it will be a model with full doors.

They're the way to go, but it wasn't something I was going to take a loss in my current one to upgrade to.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2022, 07:27 AM »
Do you guys find that having the full doors make it a weaker structure, especially when the wind blows?  I purchased an Otter Pro Lodge last year with the full door and I think it is easier setup than the last generation of Otter Cabin that I have.  The sides also seem to pull out easier, which makes for a quicker setup.

However, when it is windy, the older generation Cabin, (without the full door), sides seem to stay better (not get blown in), where the newer Pro Lodge style do not, even when anchored.   I still really like, but was just curious.  Maybe it is just because it is a larger that causes that when windy?  Just does not seem as rigid as the older gens with non full doors. 

Definitely like the full doors though, as so much easier to get into and bring your stuff into too.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Otter = quality, corner lock system is excellent. I have a small 36 sq foot model, quality poles, easy set up and anchor locking system is wonderful even in
 20+ mph wind. I've never used the side tie downs. the tie downs around the poles have been sufficient in strong winds.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2022, 03:57 AM »
There is one feature that was on the old Eastman Ice Cube hub that had two cinch straps from roof corner of hub to roof corner on two of the sides.  When in windy conditions, you cinch the straps and it helps to tighten the hub.  The results was a hub that shakes far less in the wind, thus also withstood the wind far better.

With the full door, the Eskimo Outbreak line has two vertical poles to help stabilize the door frame.  The only thing that would be better is if it had a horizontal bar for the top of the door frame.  Then it would be a lot more rigid under high wind conditions.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2022, 10:31 PM »
Be sure to see it in bag before buying. 

I've noticed my buddies' Eskimo's (most of em 5+ years old at this point, the hubs, not the buddies...) have terribly undersized bags.  Like a little icing up on the skirt and forget getting the thing into the bag.  Further, they almost NEED a 2nd person to gather the bag together while the other stuffs the hub and pulls the zipper.  The bag on my Clam is ample, I solo it over and over and over (2 kids under 8).

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2022, 10:01 PM »
The Otter has a unique corner tie down system which looks to be real useful .

4:00 mark

Windy day!? If we ever got a day that calm out here we'd be blessed.  ;D

I had my bout with hub houses. They are what they are which is a good price point option. They do work, they are mostly a 2+ person setup. They are kites in the wind. Don't forget the drill, putting in ice anchors by hand is horrible. Once you get it set up with 4 corners staked, and the 4 sides staked out too they aren't too bad until the wind really blows when the top might pop down and hit you, but it has to be pretty bad for that to be an issue. The corner door are clumsy, I would definitely want full doors if it is an option. Be sure when you set these up you want to be there a while. Moving a hub house is a chore and a half.

My advice though is if this is only for fishing once in a while with your sons, and you are looking at these really expensive hub houses like the Otter Vortex, instead look at a folding or suitcase style house. There's nothing better in the wind than a Canvas Craft, but they are heavy and expensive. There are lots of used ones on the market too. Also for the used market is something like a Clam 5800. For something brand new but also lighter and less expensive is a Shappell DX4000. These lighter options are still solid frame on top, but being lighter you definitely need to either bank them with snow, or tie down a side to keep them from sliding away. If you want to move a short distance, all you have to do is drag the whole set up.
-Tom

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2022, 06:46 AM »
Windy day!? If we ever got a day that calm out here we'd be blessed.  ;D

I had my bout with hub houses. They are what they are which is a good price point option. They do work, they are mostly a 2+ person setup. They are kites in the wind. Don't forget the drill, putting in ice anchors by hand is horrible. Once you get it set up with 4 corners staked, and the 4 sides staked out too they aren't too bad until the wind really blows when the top might pop down and hit you, but it has to be pretty bad for that to be an issue. The corner door are clumsy, I would definitely want full doors if it is an option. Be sure when you set these up you want to be there a while. Moving a hub house is a chore and a half.

My advice though is if this is only for fishing once in a while with your sons, and you are looking at these really expensive hub houses like the Otter Vortex, instead look at a folding or suitcase style house. There's nothing better in the wind than a Canvas Craft, but they are heavy and expensive. There are lots of used ones on the market too. Also for the used market is something like a Clam 5800. For something brand new but also lighter and less expensive is a Shappell DX4000. These lighter options are still solid frame on top, but being lighter you definitely need to either bank them with snow, or tie down a side to keep them from sliding away. If you want to move a short distance, all you have to do is drag the whole set up.

All great points, but if you are a walker, the folding or suitcase style are much harder to pull on the ice - right?  Also - loading and unloading from car too?  I really like those, but never have found one that would be as easy to pull as hub.  And if there are some, which ones are recommended?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2022, 06:49 PM »
All great points, but if you are a walker, the folding or suitcase style are much harder to pull on the ice - right?  Also - loading and unloading from car too?  I really like those, but never have found one that would be as easy to pull as hub.  And if there are some, which ones are recommended?

Yes, a hub house could be a good option for a single person that can't haul or handle a flip over house. I think that is an area those lower cost hubs really shine. I made my comments more on the higher end hub market, being as the OP wants this house to fish with multiple people only. I suppose it is possible none of them have a vehicle that can haul a flip over. When you are talking about something like the Otter Vortex Pro, which is a great hub house, according to the website they are 48 to 73 pounds depending on the size you get. According to Cabelas, a Shappell DX4000 is 74 pounds. It's  more, but not a ton more, especially with multiple people pulling a sled. The Shappell is a single fold suitcase, so it is a little big for a car. The Clam houses, such as the 5800 double folded. So the 5800 folded down to about a 3' x 4' square. I don't know if clam still makes these or not.

I wouldn't say they are much harder to pull as a whole. The biggest problem for me is usually just the sled. It's not practical for me to pull out my canvas craft with my Jet sled. There's no way to tie it down, and it would be an absolute bear in any kind of snow. A heavy wood house such as that is going to be tough no matter what. I've never owned a Shappell DX4000, but I would guess if you built a rack, or better yet a dedicated smitty sled for it, it would pull with no issues at all, probably even better than a hub in a plastic sled in the snow. If you had a bigger sled you may not even need that. One of those bigger otter sleds should handle one fine. I have owned a Clam the slightly bigger 6800 version, and it fit just fine on an otter sled with a ratchet strap. I don't know what size sled it was, back then there were only 2 or 3 options. It was probably like todays "pro sled medium". It was a good house, but overkill for 2 people. That's why I recommend the slightly smaller one, but the 6800 is a good house for 3+.

In my case when I am fishing alone now, I've ditched a shelter entirely. Even the lightest options out there are way more weight, bulk, and cost than a good quality wind breaking jacket.
-Tom

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:08 PM »
I've got a DX3000. It pulls very easy on ice or a little bit of snow, but it can be a bit of a slog dragging through deep, wet snow. It also fits in the back of my compact car. The 4000 wouldn't quite make it in the hatch.

Shappell discontined the DX series last year though, and they were pretty much the last of the suitcases being made.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:31 PM »
I didn't know that. I haven't looked into new houses in the past 5 years, but it's a real shame the only two options anymore are a flip over or a hub. I've tried hubs. I bought one when they were a new thing around 2008, bought from Cabella's as their store brand. Used it a lot, never liked it. That one is probably in my dads rafters somewhere.  Then I went to a Clam, don't remember the model, but most of the hubs were about the same size, almost all 4 sided at that time. There was a few that were essentially two 4-sided houses sewn together. It was pretty cheap, never really set up right first try. Finally one day I chanced going without tying out all sides the side blew in and burned a big hole from the heater. It was repairable, but I was sick of that things nonsense. It went to the dump. The next one I bought wasn't technically a hub, it was the Eskimo Evo 2 the year they came out. It was basically a hub attached to a sled. It was a neat idea at the time, being as big flip overs with good doors and windows were still not that available. Unfortunately that one turned out to be a lemon requiring a lot of fighting for warranty. The roof on that one is just too big, Even on the second house I got under warranty the roof hub was not strong enough. On the last day I had it it was a calm day, and for no reason the roof collapsed and the center hub smacked me right on the head. It must have smacked me good. That same day I put it up for sale and sold it the next. My brother has had a little better luck with hubs being as he doesn't move very much and mostly fishes by snowmobile. Why he doesn't like flip overs I don't know. The latest one he has is one of those big Eskimo's, I think 6 sided and insulated. What an absolute kite that thing is. The last time I was fishing with him last year we were out in normal 10 mph winds, but we forgot the drill adapter. He had to wrangle the house as I tried my absolute best to force the ice anchors in. Once set up it is cool having a ton of room for what start out as a small package, but the flip side of that is especially with these insulated ones, they don't fit back in the bag at all. Between the normal moisture, and the snow from trying to fight one into the bag they grow 2 sizes. My very first Cabela's hub house is the only one I've ever seen go into a bag without it being an ordeal.

I figured I would just throw that out there as I am definitely anti-hub house. I wasted a lot of time, money, and blood on them. Too many frustrated days. Hub houses have their place, but as a general do-all house they are not. It's amazing to me they have taken over the market like they have.
-Tom

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2022, 12:32 PM »
I have the Eskimo 949i and like it a lot.  It's insulated and breaks the wind a lot better and is warmer even without a heater than a shelter that isn't insulated.  Two things that I do to make life a little better is I don't use the tie down ropes because the knots always seem to work their way loose, I use ratchet straps and they don't ever work their way loose.  The other thing is I took the straps off an old life jacket and use them to cinch the tent tighter for storage.  They work really well and as a result it fits in the bag with room to spare. 

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2022, 01:00 PM »
I didn't know that. I haven't looked into new houses in the past 5 years, but it's a real shame the only two options anymore are a flip over or a hub. I've tried hubs. I bought one when they were a new thing around 2008, bought from Cabella's as their store brand. Used it a lot, never liked it. That one is probably in my dads rafters somewhere.  Then I went to a Clam, don't remember the model, but most of the hubs were about the same size, almost all 4 sided at that time. There was a few that were essentially two 4-sided houses sewn together. It was pretty cheap, never really set up right first try. Finally one day I chanced going without tying out all sides the side blew in and burned a big hole from the heater. It was repairable, but I was sick of that things nonsense. It went to the dump. The next one I bought wasn't technically a hub, it was the Eskimo Evo 2 the year they came out. It was basically a hub attached to a sled. It was a neat idea at the time, being as big flip overs with good doors and windows were still not that available. Unfortunately that one turned out to be a lemon requiring a lot of fighting for warranty. The roof on that one is just too big, Even on the second house I got under warranty the roof hub was not strong enough. On the last day I had it it was a calm day, and for no reason the roof collapsed and the center hub smacked me right on the head. It must have smacked me good. That same day I put it up for sale and sold it the next. My brother has had a little better luck with hubs being as he doesn't move very much and mostly fishes by snowmobile. Why he doesn't like flip overs I don't know. The latest one he has is one of those big Eskimo's, I think 6 sided and insulated. What an absolute kite that thing is. The last time I was fishing with him last year we were out in normal 10 mph winds, but we forgot the drill adapter. He had to wrangle the house as I tried my absolute best to force the ice anchors in. Once set up it is cool having a ton of room for what start out as a small package, but the flip side of that is especially with these insulated ones, they don't fit back in the bag at all. Between the normal moisture, and the snow from trying to fight one into the bag they grow 2 sizes. My very first Cabela's hub house is the only one I've ever seen go into a bag without it being an ordeal.

I figured I would just throw that out there as I am definitely anti-hub house. I wasted a lot of time, money, and blood on them. Too many frustrated days. Hub houses have their place, but as a general do-all house they are not. It's amazing to me they have taken over the market like they have.

My first shack was a Frabil 2 man hub. After two years I went to a flipover. Would never go back to a hub style.

It was a struggle putting it up and taking it down. Nearly impossible to get it into the bag at the end of the day, last thing you want to be doing in the cold is fighting with your hub trying to get it in the bag. One day it was completely calm, didn't stake it. Was out popping a hole and a breeze comes up and blows the thing half way across the lake. Running after it in Baffins was no fun..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.