The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: ATV Fees? WTH?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
ATV Fees? WTH?
« on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:04 AM »
ATV Fees went from $45 to $70... Kind of a jump....
They told me it was for trail fees. I don't use trails!!!
Maybe they should have done a trail use stamp.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: ATV Fees? WTH?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:16 AM »
I guess it happened a while ago. Just the first I heard of it. Gonna have to dig a few more clams...  :unsure: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:33 AM »
I looked... I still don't use trails and I believe a LOT of us also do NOT!!
Apparently the funds ARE dedicated. I just don't use trails...
"This bill increases ATV registration fees for residents from $45 to $70, nonresident 7-day registration fees from $75 to $100 and nonresident annual registration fees from $90 to $115 starting May 1, 2022. The additional $25 from each registration will be deposited in the ATV Recreational Management Fund (ARMF) within the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (ACF). Based on an estimated 78,000 ATV registrations, it is anticipated that the fee increases will generate an additional $1,791,817 in Other Special Revenue Funds revenue to the ARMF beginning in fiscal year 2022-23. This bill also includes an accompanying allocation to ACF for the expenditure of the additional revenue." https://legislature.maine.gov/legis/bills/bills_130th/fiscalpdfs/FN143904.pdf

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2022, 10:04 AM »
It would be nice if they had an ice only registration, would like one in NH that's for sure.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2022, 07:50 AM »
My wife and I each have ATVs and don't ride the trails. Registration has now "maxed out".

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2022, 08:35 AM »
ATV Fees went from $45 to $70... Kind of a jump....
They told me it was for trail fees. I don't use trails!!!
Maybe they should have done a trail use stamp.

We've got a total of five sleds and three ATV's/SxS between two family camps. As Non-Res, this year I have now spent almost $600 on registrations. The ATV's don't use the trails but the sleds do, so I'm not complaining too much. It is a bit steep though, and I can see your point about not using the trails. I would suggest however, that the moneys used to maintain trails help preserve public access to private land which benefits everyone including hunters and fishermen. Landowners don't like the mess that ATV's tend to make, and sometimes use that as an excuse to limit access to all.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2022, 10:39 PM »
just another way to pick our pockets just like the doe tags
in god we trust

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:17 AM »
just another way to pick our pockets just like the doe tags

My concern as well but if they actually put it to purchasing deer wintering areas like they promise I'll be good with. 

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:23 AM »
New York it is 100 dollars to register your sled unless your in a club, which brings it down some, all thanks to the clubs that have trails and whatnot. You might get 2 months use of your sled A year. It costs 12.50 to register an ATV for a full year, and they all scamp around the same trails. There is need for A sportsmans registration for sure,  A lot of people use snowmobiles to fish and never touch A club owned or state trail. Its crazy.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:32 AM »
My concern as well but if they actually put it to purchasing deer wintering areas like they promise I'll be good with.
The funds, doe tag $,  ARE DEDICATED TO THAT. I guess people need to read the legislation. Janet is doing good stuff!!! The ATV fees are out of whack though!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2022, 06:07 AM »
The funds, doe tag $,  ARE DEDICATED TO THAT. I guess people need to read the legislation. Janet is doing good stuff!!! The ATV fees are out of whack though!!!

Right clammy, just like the orginal lifetime licenses and conservation plates were DEDICATED and couldn't be touched. ::)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2022, 06:37 AM »
Right clammy, just like the orginal lifetime licenses and conservation plates were DEDICATED and couldn't be touched. ::)
I'll be looking it up to fact check the reality later today or this evening. What generally happens with such funds is they go into the general fund  THEN are allocated back to the original dedicated fund. Was just a a DMR meeting yesterday where this was explained in depth at my questioning of the process. I have an idea some oversimplify and don't actually look to see what they are talking about or oven ask the gov.departments what's happening. A 1/2 hour of the DMR meeting was dedicated to responding to my questions. It was interesting and informative!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2022, 06:42 AM »
I'll be looking it up to fact check the reality later today or this evening. What generally happens with such funds is they go into the general fund  THEN are allocated back to the original dedicated fund. Was just a a DMR meeting yesterday where this was explained in depth at my questioning of the process. I have an idea some oversimplify and don't actually look to see what they are talking about or oven ask the gov.departments what's happening. A 1/2 hour of the DMR meeting was dedicated to responding to my questions. It was interesting and informative!!!

One thing we can agree on is all of us need to support those who make their living on and around the water 1000%

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:12 PM »
State seems to be over charging for all licsenses , those of us that have lifetime licsenses now have to pay all these extra permits for  like hunting have to have permits for extra deer .

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2022, 04:10 AM »
GF, Please show the evidentiary information you've used to develop your perspective!!! I love looking into things like this to get the facts!!! Thanks!!!

"Maine Lifetime License

A Maine Tradition and a Gift that Lasts a Lifetime: A lifetime license, purchased for yourself or as a gift, allows the bearer to fish, trap, and/or hunt for their lifetime, regardless of where they live in the future. Revenues generated by these licenses are deposited in a special trust fund that provides long term financial support for Maine's fish and wildlife.

Lifetime license holders (not complimentary) are required to purchase any additional hunting/fishing permits between the ages of 16 and 69.

Maine Resident Applicants 70+ Years of Age

For a one-time fee of $8.00, a senior lifetime license entitles the holder to all privileges they are qualified to receive including hunting, trapping, archery, and fishing. The license also includes the following permits: bear hunt, bear trap, muzzleloader, migratory waterfowl (state permit), pheasant, spring and fall turkey, coyote night hunt, crossbow, one expanded archery antlerless and one expanded archery either-sex (may be registered with hunting license number, permit number not required). Must still apply for antlerless deer and moose permits each year. Hunters 70 and over do not need to obtain a physical permit, but can tag those species with their lifetime license. The federal migratory waterfowl permit and saltwater registry still must be purchased by the lifetime license holder.

Note: If you purchased a senior lifetime license before age 70, you do NOT have to pay the $8.00 fee, and the permits listed in the previous paragraph are included with your lifetime license anytime during the calendar year you turn 70 years of age.

A lifetime license holder who turns 16 years of age is able to hunt with their lifetime license as an adult big game license upon showing proof of having completed the required safety course. Contact MDIFW to upgrade to an adult license, and obtain all necessary permits. For more information see Junior Hunters." https://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-trapping/hunting/licenses-permits.html

CONSERVTION PLATE FUND
Q: Where does the money go?
A: The Maine Environment Trust Fund receives $14 from each set of plates purchased or renewed and this amount is tax deductible. The money supports state parks and the Endangered and Nongame Wildlife Fund.

https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/crplate.html

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2022, 04:18 AM »
One thing we can agree on is all of us need to support those who make their living on and around the water 1000%

"AUGUSTA – The Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine – Institute for Legislative Action (SAM-ILA) has given Governor Janet Mills an “A” grade and thumbs up in its 2022 Election Guide, applauding her collaborative approach to governing and her strong work to protect and expand opportunities for sportsmen, including replenishing the Land for Maine’s Future Program, improving Maine’s fish hatcheries, and addressing PFAS contamination.

Republican candidate for Governor Paul LePage was given a grade of “incomplete” and withdrew his questionnaire following his interview with SAM-ILA.

“The Maine outdoors is central to our economy and to who we are as a people – and whether it’s fishing, hiking, or skeet shooting, it’s also my favorite place in the world to be,” said Governor Mills. “I have fought hard to make sure that we are preserving and protecting our lands, creating more opportunities for hunting, fishing, and ATVing, and – most importantly – making sure that future generations will be able to enjoy our state in the same way we do today. That’s what I am going to do for the next four years as well.”.....
.... "Governor Mills has worked in a bipartisan manner with the Legislature to expand opportunities for outdoorsmen across Maine, including:

Replenishing the Land for Maine’s Future Program with $40 million in state funding, representing the first time since 2009 that LMF has received funding. The program helps conserve land and protect fishing and hunting opportunities. Paul LePage vigorously opposed LMF and held up bonds to fund the program.
Improving Maine’s Fish Stocking Program by dedicating $20 million through her Maine Jobs & Recovery Plan to improve infrastructure at Maine’s fish hatcheries. The funds will allow the hatcheries to increase fish production, contributing to more fish being stocked in lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams across the state.
Upgrading Maine State Parks by dedicating $50 million to Maine’s state park system to improve and modernize the parks, which provide many opportunities for hunting and fishing and other outdoor activities.
Preserving Deer Yards by signing into law a new antlerless deer permit system that provides more opportunities for hunters and ensures funds generated through the permits to manage and protect deer yards.
Expanding IFW’s Landowner Relations Program to provide landowners with more resources and support if they encounter problems with public use of their land.
Modernizing the IFW Information and Education Division to enhance marketing and communications and create new partnerships with the Maine Professional Guides Association and the Office of Tourism, reaching new markets and increasing license sales.
Removing barriers to getting outside during the pandemic by implementing an online hunter safety course that led to a surge in the number of people taking hunter safety and purchasing hunting and fishing licenses.
Governor Mills has accomplished all of this work without raising taxes or the cost of licenses.

https://janetmills.com/governor-janet-mills-earns-a-grade-thumbs-up-from-sportsmans-alliance-of-maine-ila/

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2022, 04:26 AM »
Still NOT IMPRESSED with the atv fees for trails I and many DO NOT USE!!!
"“For sportsmen and women, access is a key issue – and Janet Mills has been with us 100 percent,” said Thom Watson, former State Representative and strong supporter of the Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine and Maine Professional Guides Association. “Her support for the Land for Maine’s Future program is unwavering.”

“I love the Maine outdoors, and the only thing I love more are the good people who use it,” said Governor Janet Mills. “I have fought hard to make sure that we are preserving and protecting our lands, creating more opportunities for hunting, fishing, and ATVing, and – most importantly – making sure that future generations will be able to enjoy our state in the same way we are today. That’s what I am going to do for the next four years as well.”  https://janetmills.com/janet-mills-for-governor-campaign-unveils-bipartisan-coalition-of-sportsmen-for-janet/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.