Author Topic: What line has the least memory  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
What line has the least memory
« on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:06 AM »
Hello everybody what kind of fishing line do you put on your reels for jigging in the Winter so that they may not have a ridiculous amount of memory?  Target species would be as small as crappie and trout.
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
Re: What line has the least memory
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:15 AM »
I logged on this morning to get this same info. Nice to see that I am not alone.  ;D

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:19 AM »
Probably braid, but if you fish outside in freezing temperatures you may have ice build up. I use mono and will stretch it out after a few trips. If it starts to get a lot of memory, then I will strip off 25 yards and respool.

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:19 AM »
Lol nope,  I have 2 days without the wife and kids so so I'm trying to get my traps and reels lined up. I don't wanna be caught flat footed this year.
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:21 AM »
Probably braid, but if you fish outside in freezing temperatures you may have ice build up. I use mono and will stretch it out after a few trips. If it starts to get a lot of memory, then I will strip off 25 yards and respool.

X2, use mono on all my reels.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:32 AM »
X2, use mono on all my reels.

I use Trilene Micro ice mono and Stren Gold mono. Very little memory IMO.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:36 AM »
I use braid on all my rods with a flouro leader. I can change leader strength depending on target species. Braid gets some ice on it but it's easy to get off by just pulling between 2 fingers. With today's coatings on ice braid that sheds water, it really isn't much more icing than straight mono or flouro. The increase in sensitivity is well worth the bit of icing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:38 AM »
For short sections of memory just stretch it out with your hands. Take the line and pull it until you feel it stretch. Do that a couple of times and you'll have almost all the memory out if it. I use braid treated with silicone fly dressing and a leader of fluoro. No memory on the spool and the leader is easy to straighten.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:49 AM »
I use 6lb XPS fluorocarbon summer and winter. Don’t seem to have a problem..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2022, 10:18 AM »
The no longer made, Gamma ESP Ice line was probably one of the best in this characteristic, only Frog Hair tippet was way softer.

ASSO brand ice fishing lines are also very good.  However it's near impossible to find any of it as of right now and probably very old stock if you found some.

New line processing is always coming out so, just never know which next line is going to be better and yet stay cost effective. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2022, 01:13 PM »
The line that catches a fish is the one with the least memory, cuz it can't remember what it did when it comes to my equipment
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2022, 02:59 PM »
I use Trilene XL in 2, 4, and 6 lb test.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2022, 03:10 PM »
P-line floroclear has what you looking for.  Not overly expensive, nearly invisible and readily available.  jigging I use 3lb 95% of time for crappie and stocked trout.  I do keep rod with 2lb when there real picky and use 4lb on on arctic warrior and jawjacker setups

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2022, 03:01 PM »
I use red label seaguar fluoro on all my panfish rods. Never have problems with memory. Braid to same Fluoro for my Laker rods.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2022, 03:23 PM »
I have been using Yozuri Hybrid for both hard and soft water. It’s a mono-flouro extruded line with a small diameter, little stretch, and very little “memory”. I generally use 4# test for most of my icing, and switch to a 12# test braid with an 8# test Yozuri leader for lakers. I am very satisfied with this lines performance and price. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2022, 04:58 PM »
Dumped mono over ten years ago the line memory and stretch is crap. I only use braid and some fused line. For trout I use about a 12-18" flouro leader. I worked in fishing retail for over ten years and never found a mono that was really worth a damn...........but that was about 10 years ago. I will stick with the superlines and leader when required.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2022, 05:08 PM »
I have been using Yozuri Hybrid for both hard and soft water. It’s a mono-flouro extruded line with a small diameter, little stretch, and very little “memory”. I generally use 4# test for most of my icing, and switch to a 12# test braid with an 8# test Yozuri leader for lakers. I am very satisfied with this lines performance and price. Ski
i use yozuri hybrid on quite a few soft water rods.strong and not as coily  as normal flouro  and has some forgiving stretch if my drags not set right.but im still a plain jane trilene micro ice guy for my ice rods.if i do have line twist the fish do not care because ive iced a ton thru the ice every year.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2022, 05:49 AM »
How you spool your reel before hand matters and has the most impact with mono or fluorocarbon
Personally i use piscufin line spooler and then after words fill a cup up with hot water and just let it sit there for several hours if you have problems with line memory after or dont need to respool i would try putting the spool in a cup of hot water will help but in terms of memory in general go with braid mainline for the least amount of memory

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:22 AM »
 :tipup:
How you spool your reel before hand matters and has the most impact with mono or fluorocarbon
Personally i use piscufin line spooler and then after words fill a cup up with hot water and just let it sit there for several hours if you have problems with line memory after or dont need to respool i would try putting the spool in a cup of hot water will help but in terms of memory in general go with braid mainline for the least amount of memory

This is often under looked.

Your line comes off the spool with a direction of the coil, either clockwise or counter clockwise. I have found it works best when spooling a spinning reel with the coil  coming off the spool counter clockwise. This way it’s not trying to fight against its natural coil, helps a decent amount with line twist.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:44 AM »
P-line floroclear has what you looking for.  Not overly expensive, nearly invisible and readily available.  jigging I use 3lb 95% of time for crappie and stocked trout.  I do keep rod with 2lb when there real picky and use 4lb on on arctic warrior and jawjacker setups

This

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:39 AM »
Hello everybody what kind of fishing line do you put on your reels for jigging in the Winter so that they may not have a ridiculous amount of memory?  Target species would be as small as crappie and trout.

You're going to get a wide variety of answers, but here's mine on line memory:

Superline/Braid >> Mono >> Hybrid fluoro/mono >> fluoro.

The best solution for me has been to run a braid or superline, then add a leader.  This works great until it gets really cold, then you need to fish in a flip over w/ a heater.

In terms of specifics, I like fireline crystal (crystal ice for smaller sizes) and a 4 lb seaguar blue label fluoro....that gets it done for panfish + trout 90% of the time.  Fireline crystal is super tough, very strong for its rating, great abrasion resistance (think sawing against ice holes), great sensitivity, great hooksets and deals w/ twist better than most.

The best mono that I've tried (& I've tried alot of them) is Maxima Ultragreen.  For finicky, pressured fish, 2 lb Maxima Ultragreen will catch fish when nobody else is catching.  Lots of good 4 lb test lines, but if there are any imperfections in 2 lb test...it shows up in a hurry....but Maxima ultragreen is great from 2 lb to 25+ lbs.

Sometimes line conditioner can help w/ memory, but that stuff will also freeze up so can't use it in cold temps (unless you're in a shack w/ heater).

There's all kinds of options out there....some of the new generation fly guys tippet spools are pretty good, too - which are often overlooked for icefishing.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2022, 11:55 AM »
:tipup:
This is often under looked.

Your line comes off the spool with a direction of the coil, either clockwise or counter clockwise. I have found it works best when spooling a spinning reel with the coil  coming off the spool counter clockwise. This way it’s not trying to fight against its natural coil, helps a decent amount with line twist.

True but still can’t insist enough the hot water trick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.