The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Looking forward to a good season  (Read 561 times)

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking forward to a good season
« on: Nov 23, 2022, 10:31 AM »
Last year was kind of a bust because my wife had hand surgery and was pretty much helpless from January to March.  Had to stick around the house to help her out as well as drive her to frequent appointments. Kind of made it impossible to go to anywhere but out in back of the house.

This summer I made a friend who wanted to get into fishing but needed some guidance since he had no experience or equipment.  I had both so it kind of worked out well.  Between us we have 3 canoes and two boats.  So far, I got him onto Brook Trout, Bass, Pickeral and Perch.  We are hoping to get out when the ice is safe and get into Salmon and Togue and perhaps a Pike.   Over the years I have accumulated enough gear so it's kind of impossible to transport everything by myself anyway so having a friend helps.  It also doesn't hurt he is younger and in pretty good shape for someone in their 50's.  We are both retired so time isn't an issue although who actually has enough time to do everything?

His wife is all for him going as long as she gets out when she isn't working.   I think her favorite so far was when I showed him the Union River in Waltham and he took her out paddling their 16-footer there.  They both grew up in the mid- west and moved to Maine specifically to adopt an outdoor lifestyle.  She did say I was sort of like a drug dealer in that every time I take him somewhere I point out places like that and each one is a new adventure and better than the last one.  So far, we have favored down east locations and her only complaint is there are too many beautiful ones and it's difficult to pick which to explore first.

Anyway, I have a good feeling about this season.   I hope everyone else gets to enjoy it too.  I'll be 66 in February so probably if I don't enjoy it while I am physically able to my opportunities will be limited in the future.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Re: Looking forward to a good season
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2022, 11:42 AM »
Hope you folks have a phenomenal season!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Loyaltee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2022, 04:06 PM »
I’m so with you. I didn’t get out not even once this summer. The last two winters I got shafted also.
The beginning of winter 2020 I bought a Eskimo Grizzly. It fits very neatly in the back of my wife’s suburban. Well two weeks after I got my shelter the motor in the suburban went south. I bought a brand new rebuilt motor but didn’t get the truck back until April.
Winter 2021 so excited for ice and then guess what? Yup bad motor. Got the truck back in April. UHG!!!
Fingers crossed this motor makes it through the winter so I can use my shelter on the ice instead of in my basement to drink beer in.
Happy Thanksgiving

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2022, 05:53 PM »
Sometimes life goes that way.  The saddest part is I live 32 feet from the water and still was limited to fishing from the house because the wife was not in good shape. Her warranty ran out a while ago. Good luck with the engine.   Anyway, have a good holiday and stay safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.