Author Topic: So close!  (Read 559 times)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
So close!
« on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:45 AM »
After keeping an eye on the weather over the past 2 weeks, I spent an hour driving up to a tiny lake at higher altitude, where I've been able to find safe ice mid November over the past couple years. This was after contacting my neighbor for permission to access his land, which is the only launch on the lake, and also contacting the local police dept to advise them that if I get spotted on the lake, to know the the ice is safe, and that I'm wearing a survival suit.

Got up there, a bit too much snow to my liking, and sure enough, it seems to have insulated it enough to keep it too sketchy for my liking. Varying thickness of 2-3 inches, I turned around and drove home.

Lake closes to fishing for winter on Dec 1st, hopefully next week, as temps up there will remain below freezing, and no more snow in forecast...

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: So close!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:49 AM »
I got a couple hours ice time in yesterday on a river backwater, but that was literally a once in a generation fluke. It'll still be 4-6 weeks before we see good ice down here. That ice I was on yesterday will be open water today or tomorrow. 😔

I didn't catch a thing, but it was still nice to scratch the itch.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2022, 10:49 AM »
I got a couple hours ice time in yesterday on a river backwater, but that was literally a once in a generation fluke. It'll still be 4-6 weeks before we see good ice down here. That ice I was on yesterday will be open water today or tomorrow. 😔

I didn't catch a thing, but it was still nice to scratch the itch.

Every thing else here is pretty much fluid, likely another 2-3 weeks until the smaller waterways I fish early ice on wil be ready. This one is sort of unique, but unfortunately, the entire zone that it's located in closes for winter fishing mid next week. Hoping it's ready in time.

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2022, 11:00 AM »
All my regular ponds around here were all skinned over by Saturday, but nowhere near ready to fish on.

We had a pretty significant cold snap for a few days; normally nothing even glazes over completely until well into December down here, and they're usually not fishable until January.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2022, 11:20 AM »
We coulda iced last week but I was  (And still Am!) in open water mode.

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2022, 11:52 AM »
We coulda iced last week but I was  (And still Am!) in open water mode.

Rock n roll sir! Making me jealous.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.