Author Topic: Garmin EchoMap UHD 73CV vs. Humminbird Helix 7 ICE Unit  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Peninsula

• IceShanty Rookie
Intended purpose is only ice fishing, can anyone tell me the real World differences between these two units?

Garmin EchoMap UHD 73CV

Humminbird G4 Helix 7 Ice

Does the Garmin give you the option to auto save maps like the Humminbird does with AutoChart Live Ice?

Thank you in advance!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin EchoMap UHD 73CV vs. Humminbird Helix 7 ICE Unit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2022, 01:23 PM »
Intended purpose is only ice fishing, can anyone tell me the real World differences between these two units?

Garmin EchoMap UHD 73CV

Does the Garmin give you the option to auto save maps like the Humminbird does with AutoChart Live Ice?

Thank you in advance!
From Garmin website.
"Create your own maps on the fly and tailor them to fit your needs."
"Create personalized fishing maps on-screen with 1’ contours."

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2022, 12:44 PM »

Garmin EchoMap UHD 73CV

Thank you in advance!
I run that Garmin unit and you can create your own charts with it. It's branded as QuickDraw. This summer, I put the unit in my boat and charted pretty much the entirety of the lake I mainly fish on. You will need a microSD card for any charting or firmware updates. You can also sync the charts back to your phone.
The built-in charts, at least where I fish, are the Navionics charts.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2022, 01:48 PM »
I have that exact garmin, yet to get it on the ice though.

Both have "auto chart" to make maps in the summer and then use ice fishing.  Hummingbird requires you to buy their special $100 mapping chip after filling up the internal memory,  it can hold a handful of hours though.  Garmin allows any Micro sd card. I feel Hummingbird has slightly better depth shading options.

Hummingbird works with lakemaster chips, don't even bother with the base maps. Garmin has alright base maps in certain areas. I feel they suck in MN? Garmin is compatible with navionic chip and ...?

Garmin is a touch screen and very easy to customize different layouts. Hummingbird has pre made layouts.

When comparing same size screens, Garmin units have a significantly smaller body vs Hummingbird. 

Livescope vs mega live.

Very happy with the price I paid for my 73sv uhd. Time will tell if I stick with it or switch.  Bought a boat that came with Hummingbird so I get to trial both which is nice.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2022, 02:28 PM »
Following. My brother is in the market for 1. He would like the open water/ice combo but can't decide on what unit he wants. May boil down to availability.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2022, 03:01 PM »
Following. My brother is in the market for 1. He would like the open water/ice combo but can't decide on what unit he wants. May boil down to availability.
I already had an older Garmin unit with the GT-20 transducer on my boat, which helped me decide to get the Garmin. Most of the older 4-pin boat transducers like the GT-20 are compatible with the 73cv, but you need to get an adapter cable.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Make sure if you go with a bird that it is 360 compatible. The older units had to have the networking option. New ones might all be compatible but you may want that option down the road.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.