Author Topic: Ice fishing boots / footwear recommendations welcome!  (Read 2241 times)

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
To my heart's delight, my teenaged son has fallen in love with fishing, big time. I need to equip him properly for the winter to ensure days out on the ice aren't cut short by cold body parts.

I use Sorel boots, which have kept me warm and dry. Shall i get him a pair of those, or what do you recommend?

Cheers
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing boots / footwear recommendations welcome!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2022, 05:18 PM »
I love my Sorels.  Mid-winter -25 to spring slush, they have been used and abused for 6-7 years and I just need to change the laces and probably should get some new inserts.  Having the ability to take out the inserts and put them by the heater each night is a great feature.   

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2022, 05:34 PM »
We have used mucks and bogs for us and the kids for the last several years and love how water proof they are as well as keeping the feet warm, but been looking into the heated socks to also help keep the feet warm along with hand warmers. I would recommend a good floating suit as well to keep them warm and safe I like the wind rider suit for the cost and durability.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2022, 05:42 PM »
If Sorels work for you, they'll work for your son. Go with what you know.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2022, 06:09 PM »
Whatever boot you choose, just make sure there’s enough “wiggle room” for an extra pair of warm wool socks. The biggest mistake you can make is buying a boot that is too tight or small to allow for good circulation. That’s what will keep your sons toes toasty! MYO
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2022, 06:44 PM »
Whatever boot you choose, just make sure there’s enough “wiggle room” for an extra pair of warm wool socks. The biggest mistake you can make is buying a boot that is too tight or small to allow for good circulation. That’s what will keep your sons toes toasty! MYO

I'd say this is first and foremost whatever boot you prefer. We were just discussing this in deer camp moments ago looking a single digit wake up temps with highs in the low teens along with 15 - 20 mph winds gusting 35 - 40 mph. Room! Leave yourself room! My street shoes are 10.5 but but hunting and fishing boots are 12s. Wide if I can get 'em. You need room to wiggle your toes along with a nice thick pair of wool socks. Makes all the difference in the world.
 nt before you sock up. That is also a game changer.

Good job on addicting your son. My son is a fishing/hunting monster (of my own creation). This year his son (my grandson) joins us for hunting. He and his brother and sister (Madeline age 7) have been fishing with us for a couple years already. They are a trip AND the future of hunting and fishing.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2022, 06:53 PM »
To my heart's delight, my teenaged son has fallen in love with fishing, big time. I need to equip him properly for the winter to ensure days out on the ice aren't cut short by cold body parts.

I use Sorel boots, which have kept me warm and dry. Shall i get him a pair of those, or what do you recommend?

Cheers

I've went from sorels to a boot with 800-1000 grams of thinsulate, like that they breath so your feet stay dry, which helps them stay warm, been buying danners lately, they're a bit pricey, but comfortable and warm.

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Last year I purchased a pair of used White Bunny Boots and they are great!  They really keep my feet warm and dry in all types of weather.  I wore them while deer hunting and while fishing Devils Lake ND and never got cold feet.  I typically wear an 11W boot but could not find that size but the 11R fits me fine.  I typically wear a pair of wool blend socks with a thin polypropoyline sock liners and can be outside and comfortable all day.  Hope this info help!   

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:37 AM »
I like Nats a lot. Super light and warm

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:41 AM »
X2

Offline Almi57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2022, 11:25 AM »
I have bad feet ( Froze them when I was young) and Sorels or Lacrosse Ice Man or Ice Kings are the ones that keep my feet warm. I tend to have my feet on the ice  due to using Flip-over and most days never get cold feet.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2022, 12:44 PM »
X2

X3...I do like that my Mucks slip on and off ...no frozen laces.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2022, 06:13 AM »
you don,t say what age your son is, but if he,s still growing, i,d say get boots at least 1 size large, maybe 1 & 1/2 so he can grow into them . a pair of heavy sox will take up some of the excess room ,n, not feel like clown shoes . JMO. wire

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2022, 11:31 AM »
Ditto on buying a size up for the little guy. Got 2 of my own & always filled the tips w/ toe warmers till they grew a size.

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing boots / footwear recommendations welcome
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2022, 12:07 PM »
I’m going on my 5th winter using Neos overshoes with Stablicers. I wear a size 15 shoe & they have a size that easily slips over my comfortable driving shoes at the truck, very warm/waterproof & great traction on ice & snow. Then just kick ‘em off back at the truck & drive with warm dry comfortable shoes. No messing with ad on cleats, just strap on & go.
https://www.neosovershoescanada.com/blogs/overshoes/stabilicers-clearance-sale
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:11 PM »
I have had good luck putting an insole with an arch support inside my Sorels.  I never sit when I fish and I find the extra support helps.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:18 PM »
Being young i would put a pair of mickeys on him and never worry about cold feet.mickeys only feel heavy when older and arthritic.lol probably gain leg muscle when young,never cold feet.i tried muck arctic pros and were warm cracked in a season,kamik hunter boots are not warm at all.my whole family is back to mickeys.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Being young i would put a pair of mickeys on him and never worry about cold feet.mickeys only feel heavy when older and arthritic.lol probably gain leg muscle when young,never cold feet.i tried muck arctic pros and were warm cracked in a season,kamik hunter boots are not warm at all.my whole family is back to mickeys.

You really need to look into those Bogs Bozrmans Doc A bit pricey but they really keep my old ass feet warm. Lightweight, waterproof and rated at -70*. Good as Mickey's imo. Liner socks and a good wooly and your good to go.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:44 PM »
You really need to look into those Bogs Bozrmans Doc A bit pricey but they really keep my old ass feet warm. Lightweight, waterproof and rated at -70*. Good as Mickey's imo. Liner socks and a good wooly and your good to go.
price for good boots is not a problem if the boots are quality made,paid good money for arctic pros and did not last a year icefishing only.i will definitely look at bogs next.the kamik hunter boot have great rubber on them but in 10 degrees i can feel coldness creeping in but i deal with it.norfin makes a super light  warm boot but European sizes seem small in a size 14.dryshod sounds good too but guess its the original creator of mucks.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:54 PM »
price for good boots is not a problem if the boots are quality made,paid good money for arctic pros and did not last a year icefishing only.i will definitely look at bogs next.the kamik hunter boot have great rubber on them but in 10 degrees i can feel coldness creeping in but i deal with it.norfin makes a super light  warm boot but European sizes seem small in a size 14.dryshod sounds good too but guess its the original creator of mucks.

I've had them for 5 years now. Even drag them through the woods and no rips or tears..I think FF&H in Wayland carry them. Nor real sure.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Thank you, everyone! A lot of sound advice and great recommendations. Much appreciated!
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2022, 11:23 AM »
BUY battery powered heated socks!!! no more cold feet
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2022, 08:48 PM »
MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS       WHITE OR BLACK      THE BEST THERE IS.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2022, 04:51 AM »
I've had a pair of Cabela's predator extreme boots for probably better than 20 years. My feet have never been cold or wet. I like pac boots with a removable liner. I have two extra sets and change them out every other day. Dry feet are happy feet. Maybe once a month, I throw the liners in the dryer set on no heat and tumble them for a while with a pair of  my grandson's old sneakers. I think it helps keep them from packing down and loosing efficiency. Also, I apply Snow Seal to the leather at the beginning of the season.
No matter what brand you get, A little bit of TLC goes a long way towards giving you years of extra service. Good boots aren't cheap. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2022, 05:00 AM »
Baffin Titans for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.