Author Topic: Wood stoves  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wood stoves
« on: Nov 16, 2022, 07:33 PM »
I'm building a shanty the same size we used to have back in VT. (4'w. x 6'l.)
We had this wood stove in it and it served us well. https://nuwaystove.com/product-category/wood-stove/
I'm leaning towards buying the same one because it's a USA family company and it did the job.
But there's also some cool ones online that have glass, which would be a plus. But those also seem to have weird stove pipe sizes so you can't just grab additional pieces at the local hardware store for your build.
Any suggestions?

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wood stoves
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Kni-co stoves are nice, I have a smaller one for winter camping in my Otter Resort hub tent. You can pretty much make any pipe work with the correct fittings.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2022, 09:13 AM »
Thanks for the lead on Kni-Co! Cheaper than the China ones and made in USA!
I just bought one. No glass but I'm sure I'll still like it. Bigger door than the one we had.

https://www.kni-co.com/scratch_dent?product_id=114

I figured it's gonna get scratched and dented anyways. lol
Nothing like a Maine "red snapper" natural-casing hot dog with the skin perfectly blistered over hot coals.  ;D

https://newengland.com/today/travel/maine/maine-red-snapper-hot-dogs/

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2022, 12:08 PM »
I’ve been looking at small portable stoves for my Eskimo 650. I’m leaning towards the winnerwell medium. Reviews are good, and seem like a solid stove
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2022, 12:45 PM »
That looks nice. And I like the glass.
But it's made in China. :-(

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:07 PM »
Here is a stove that I see in alot of videos from a guy I follow.  He has this stove, and has been really happy with the performance.  He wore his old one out, contacted the company for info on a new one, and they provided him with the old design. 

Its made in Colorado, and he uses regular pipe duct fittings.  They have four different sizes. 

https://coloradocylinderstoves.com/shop/ols/products/alpine-stove-package-472295e9-d451-4373-9999-4701ef9a2c3a

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2022, 03:50 PM »
That looks nice. And I like the glass.
But it's made in China. :-(
Unfortunately is. I wasn’t able to find one from the USA that seemed similar. I found some that were 40+ lbs, but are heavier than I want.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2022, 03:57 PM »
It's also too nice/spendy for me. I'm sure it would get stolen.
Heck, a guy in the Maine forum said the Buddy Heater got stolen out of his shanty in the off-season. They even cut the propane line to take it.
People suck.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2022, 04:12 PM »
It's also too nice/spendy for me. I'm sure it would get stolen.
Heck, a guy in the Maine forum said the Buddy Heater got stolen out of his shanty in the off-season. They even cut the propane line to take it.
People suck.
I’m from Maine, I’d never leave anything in a shack. Locked or not. Our ice fisherman are some of the best people you’ll ever meet…..and also some of the worst!!

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:37 PM »
20mm version...

Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:24 PM »
Kni-co stoves are nice, I have a smaller one for winter camping in my Otter Resort hub tent.
Thanks again for the lead!
Mine arrived today and I'm really impressed with the quality. And my confirmation email came from an actual human and she replied quickly to my question about if standard 3" stove pipe works with it (it does). I also sent her a link to this thread and suggested they might want to advertise here.
They even lazer-engrave their logo on the door. Nice touch.
This one is their smallest. 10"x10"x18" with the legs folded up flush. This is a "scratch & dent" I bought for $127.00 + shipping and tax. The damage is only cosmetic.
I'm sure it will be plenty of heat as the one I had in VT was the same size or even a bit smaller (and nowhere near as well built).
I wish I would have bought a side shelf or two and the false bottom (so I don't need to put sand in it) but I'm trying to curb the $ spent on myself this time of year. ;-)

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:43 PM »
This is the shanty I'm building that it will heat.
It comes apart easily into these manageable sections in case the chit hits the fan and it needs to get moved and I don't have help.
The walls and roof panels weigh nothing. The base (pressure-treated 2x4s and 1/2" PT plywood) is heavier than I hoped, due to the wet PT 2x4s, but still very manageable and maybe it will dry out and get lighter as I get older. ;-)
The roofing is clear corrugated panels so no windows needed to see the traps.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2022, 09:33 AM »
Love the Kni-co stoves, great stove for the price. Really heats up the insulated hubs nicely, dry heat which is nice. Makes for a great base camp or if you just wanna run tip ups, plus smells great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.