Author Topic: ICE FISHING TIPUP SEARCHING FOR PARTS  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
ICE FISHING TIPUP SEARCHING FOR PARTS
« on: Nov 15, 2022, 04:20 PM »
Hi folks I'm new to this site but hoping for some help.  Some history, I have lived in Maine my whole life (Belgrade and Kittery).  In 1972 my uncle and I built two sets of ice fishing tipup traps. That's when the bug to build them got me! so 50 years later I still build a bunch yearly for friends and family.  Over the years my parts and suppliers have changed many times over.  I built 80 this year and have requests coming in for next year all ready!  I build a 28" tall cross type tipup.  If I can figure out how I will add a picture or two.  My concern for next year is coming up with the flat flag steel (28" long).  I've talked to some of the major trap builders in Maine and just haven't gotten any useful info other than buying from them for a price that scared me! Some one is supplying them but I couldn't get that info from them.
I bought some flat strip stainless steel many years ago from Gibbs Steel in CT.  They are great people but aren't familiar with the intended use on an ice fishing trap so what I ended up buying was too limp.   Does anyone have a supplier or a contact I can reach out to? I hope this isn't my last build year!
Thanks for any help in advance
Tuke
Tuke!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: ICE FISHING TIPUP SEARCHING FOR PARTS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2022, 04:39 PM »
You talk to these guys? https://www.fourslide.com/fourslide-parts/flat-springs.php

You got other measurements on your current springs? Thickness and width either in metric or SAE?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2022, 05:34 PM »
How about using the steel stock from an electrical fish tape?
Plumbers also use a thicker style on old school style, flat drain cleaning snakes

Offline Gray Boat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2022, 08:27 PM »
I have used truck windshield wipers before. Just take the steel out of them. Although you would have to hit up a junkyard for the quantities your looking for lol

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2022, 07:43 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some pics. Just click the blue “add image to post” below the dialog boxes and it will allow you to upload pics, create a hot link and you can come back here and post that link and your pics will be posted for everyone to see.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:09 PM »
40 up tip-ups was bought out and is re-opening in westfield Mass. and you can get any parts you need.https://40uptacklecompany.com/
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Thanks for the help here. I'll let you know how my search goes. I sent a request to the Fourslide company. I think I attached some latest pics! Let me know if they can't be opened.

Tuke!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:47 AM »
Looking good..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Danno039

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:20 PM »
When did 40up start up again?

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2022, 04:27 PM »
someone bought it up a couple months ago and is trying to get back in the game

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2022, 05:16 AM »
So I contacted FourSlide for a quote. They got back to very quickly but stated the flag steel was too long for them to manufacture. 40UP hasn’t replied yet.
The piece I desire is stainless steel (the electrical fish wire I have tried, it’s blued and rusted quickly). The piece is 28”L x 0.25”W x 0.025”T.
I stated in my first post that I went through a company from CT (Gibbs Wire and Steel in Southington) they we’re trying to help me out by sending me samples but was still hard to get the right lightness and spring back. What I got from them takes a set after a while and doesn’t stand up straight enough. I’m sure they have the right material if I can just get the metallurgy right. My search continues….

Tuke!

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2022, 09:32 AM »
IDEAL Electrical 31-06 Stainless Steel Fish Tape – 240 ft. Stainless Steel Fish Tape w/ Formed Hook & Tuff-Grip Pro Case, Non-Oily Finish, Laser Etched Increments https://a.co/d/hiLoA2v

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2022, 03:40 PM »
That's a possibility.  Would have to go with a bent end vice the spilt ring and change my staple size or method. 
thx
Tuke!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2022, 06:48 PM »
I built 6 for myself last year and purchased flags from Jacktraps. Not cheap, but i figured I wanted quality and I made the other pieces, I reused some large plastic  40 up spools for some and my son made me some more with his 3D printer, I would be interested in a source for flag steel to fabricate some more tip ups. Did you purchase the spools or buy them?

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:58 AM »
I build my spools. They are pretty inexpensive under $4 each (if you buy bulk). I’ll try to explain how.
3” Side plates - I get from a SendCutSend.
7/8” Nylon spacers - McMaster Carr
Threaded tube and nuts- Texas Lamp Co
Side trip and screw - McMaster Carr

All get assembled with red locktite fits a 1/4” mounting bolt. They hold about 150 yards of Woodstock 45# test line.
I’ll add some pics later.
Tuke!

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2022, 07:00 AM »
Here’s some pics of my reels

I haven’t got my flag steel figured out for next season yet. Working with Gibbs Steel now. The only issue with them is figuring out the correct metal/ temper and then you have to buy bulk. Can be pricey initially but builds a lot of traps.
Jacks Traps has very nice parts but the price is much too high for me.

Tuke!

Offline Tirediron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:52 AM »
Those are some beautiful traps.I too have tried to find flag steel material with no luck.I have only made one set of traps for my son,so far.I bought my reels and flags from Jack's ,nice quality but was hoping to be able to find less expensive alternatives. I purchased 3" round aluminum discs off of ebay,but will need to drill the center hole,and come up with a tripper solution.I reaiy like your tripper setup.Could you give me a little more info on what these parts are called ,so i could locate some.Not looking to mass produce traps,just enjoy it.Thanks Rick
Rick

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2022, 05:42 AM »
For you guys looking for steel for your flags...why does it have to be flat? Wouldn't round wire work in the right gauge? Lotsa' that stuff around. Or how about an old lawnmower laying around and try the recoil steel on the pull start? Just a couple of thoughts.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2022, 06:31 AM »

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2022, 08:28 AM »
Can't tell from pic. if stock is round or flat, but this should be what your looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333812656639

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:52 PM »
40 up tip-ups was bought out and is re-opening in westfield Mass. and you can get any parts you need.https://40uptacklecompany.com/
their website says that they do not carry parts

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:58 PM »
Can't tell from pic. if stock is round or flat, but this should be what your looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333812656639
it's round. I'm looking for it too.

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2022, 07:00 AM »
Hi folks a lot of good discussion on this topic!
I have been building for close to 50 years. I’ve tried a lot of different methods and am open to changing what I’m doing. I would say with no data to back it up that I’ve built a couple thousand traps in this time.
I’ve tried the recoil springs most were too sof to work. The electrical fish tape I actually use on a different trap I call “The Big Tuke”.
I have primarily used stainless steel for the last 8 years (material from Gibbs steel). I’m running out and know I’m going to end up buying probably $750 worth of it again.
The steel in the hunting blinds is an idea for someone building a few.
I’m going to look into the round wire idea a bit more!
Someone asked about my trips on the spools and what I order. I’ll attach a pic of my McMaster Carr order.
Thx everyone for the ideas, questions and help! I saw a lot of ice in Maine yesterday while hunting with my dad so hard water is close!

Tuke!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2022, 04:42 PM »

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2022, 04:56 PM »
Thats a good deal.  I might get a couple packs and replace some of my old ones....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:25 PM »
The HT flag steel is good (and cheap) but way too short. My traps are 28” tall with 28” flag steel. Their tall for fishing northern Maine lakes with deep snow.
Tuke!

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:08 PM »
Has anyone come across any parts for the Allagash traps ?

I have had many brands over the years and I like the Allagash the best.

I like how Allagash twisted the tip of the flag steel so you do not need that split ring to hook the flag as that can be a pain when your hands are cold

I redid my old Thompsons with my 5 year old granddaughter and those are now hers

...and working on my old Mooseheads, just in case we get more grandkids :whistle:

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:12 PM »
Here’s some pics of my reels

I haven’t got my flag steel figured out for next season yet. Working with Gibbs Steel now. The only issue with them is figuring out the correct metal/ temper and then you have to buy bulk. Can be pricey initially but builds a lot of traps.
Jacks Traps has very nice parts but the price is much too high for me.

Those are Very Nice

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2023, 09:58 AM »
I used to buy stainless steel flag steel with the twisted top also. It was a guy in Readfield, Maine. I got my reals from him also. I think he sold out to a guy in Monmouth, Maine. This was over 20 years ago and he stopped selling to me for no reason. At about this time a well know trap builder started (or got famous)! I suspect that may be why I was shutoff!!
Tuke!

Offline Prairie Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:34 PM »
You can buy replacement flags on eBay.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.