The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Snowdog Registration  (Read 2039 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Snowdog Registration
« on: Nov 11, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Utah requires ATVs and snowmobiles to be registered with the state on an annual basis.  And of course, there are taxes & fees collected for each registration/renewal.  So far, the Snowdog type machines don't fit into a category that requires said registration.  Just out of curiosity, does Wyoming require the Snowdog type machines to be registered?
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snowdog Registration
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2022, 02:18 PM »
So as of right now Wyoming doesn't require any atv/utv to be registered unless it will be driven on pavement. Exemptions is the ORV tag that you may need to buy, but this isn't a registion of the machine. I'd guess that a snowdog would need to have an ORV on lakes that require it.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2022, 03:50 PM »
Not in NY..

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2022, 09:36 AM »

You would not fall under the ORV category in wyoming but would fall under a snowmobile I believe

(a) (ii) "Snowmobile" means any mechanically driven vehicle of a type which utilizes sled type runners, or skis, or any endless belt tread or combination of these, designed primarily for operation over snow.

Annual Snowmobile Registration and Snowmobile User Fees (31-2-403, 404 and 409)

The owner of a snowmobile which will be operated within the state of Wyoming shall pay one of the following fees:

Commercial Snowmobile Registration Fee: $105.00
Resident, Private Use Snowmobile Registration/User Fee: $35.00
Non-Resident Snowmobile User Fee: $35.00
User Fee permits are available at over 180 selling agent locations throughout the state.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:51 AM »
I’d tell you what I would do. If I felt like I asked the proper people and didn’t get an answer…then there’s my answer 😃 . You guys keep asking and sooner or later they’ll make you pay! Hahaha!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2022, 11:19 AM »

I’d tell you what I wound do. If I felt like I asked the proper people and didn’t get an answer…then there’s mr answer 😃 . You guys keep asking and sooner or later they’ll make you pay! Hahaha!

Play that game at KH and you get a ticket! If you have an ORV your legal just about everywhere.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2022, 12:20 PM »
stickers are different for tracked/ ski vehicles is all i was saying

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2022, 12:25 PM »
Agreed. I was more sarcasm about KH.  ;D

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2022, 02:55 PM »
I’m somewhat embarrassed over my typos so I had to go and fix them in original post.

All I’m saying is, we pay a ridiculous amount of registration fees in this state. If “we” just keep asking if we need to pay and what we need to pay then sooner or later, they’ll make us pay. Right now there’s no answer, so enjoy it!

With that said, I like to go out and have a good time, have all my ducks in a row, and not worry about things. So, I might act tough, but in all actuality, I’d probably just buy the sticker  :roflmao:

Keyhole, I was prepared to get a ticket for just about anything. I remember parking my truck last year and going “jeez I hope I can park this direction at this pull out and it’s not a one way!”

Seems you could teach them a thing or two about law enforcement Scott!
Trent Williams

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2022, 03:05 PM »
Yea, I'm the one that got the ticket for parking in the wrong spot one year at first ice and was 100 yards away. There is no "teaching". My fear is someone try to "teach" and getting in real trouble.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2022, 10:41 PM »

Play that game at KH and you get a ticket! If you have an ORV your legal just about everywhere.
I was at Keyhole maybe two years ago and saw two guys driving their ATV's off of the ice. They didn't use one of the "designated" areas for getting on or off the ice. Man, as soon as they hit the shore, the park ranger came flying down the gravel road with lights flashing! I thought I was watching an episode of Chicago PD when the police cars fly in to make the bust! Lol.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2022, 06:48 AM »
IMO they are the same as a snow blower take the sled off and you can’t ride it. It doesn’t have a steering wheel or handle bars like 4 wheelers. Enjoy no tag while you can the state will come out with a few soon enough. Be safe

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2022, 09:17 AM »
I did call WY F&G Law Enforcement Division and they told me that F&G LEOs are not responsible for or have authority to cite ORV/OHV violations.  That responsibilty rests with the WY Parks LEOs.  I haven't talked with them but might next week as I plan to maybe use my 'dog' on WY ice in 2023 and would like to know what WY requires from non-residents with regard to ORV/OHV use in WY.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2022, 12:39 PM »
"Snowmobile" means any mechanically driven vehicle of a type which utilizes sled type runners, or skis, or any endless belt tread or combination of these, designed primarily for operation over snow."
As you stated, a snowdog type machine meets the definition of a snowmobile in Wyoming.  Therefore, if I decide to ice fish in Wyoming, I am going to have to buy the $35 user fee decal and prominently display it on the outside of my Snow Dog ("Snowmobile").  Bummer!  I assume that if I bought it today, it would expire on Dec 31 and I would have to buy another one on Jan 1.  ???
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2022, 02:23 PM »
Snowmobile registration goes from June to June if I remember right, unlike the ORV stickers which are January to January.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2022, 02:39 PM »
When you pull it up online it says 22/23 snowmobile permit. Would be worth a call but it can be purchased on line at WY state parks. Call a powersports dealer in WY, most of the time they sell the permits also.

Offline ND-PikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2022, 12:46 PM »
GlenWyo’s post from 11/17 recalling the heroic efforts of the Park Rangers saving the day enforcing traffic laws on KH are all too common. Park Ranger Brad gave me a ticket on X-mas day a couple years ago (w/ my 8 year old son) for using the trail down to the dock site in Coulter Bay to ingress/egress the ice on our ATV. Lights a blazing like a full on SWAT Team take down. Just for using the trail we have used to access the ice for years and years.
The behaviors of the Park Rangers and “LEO’s” at KH are pretty embarrassing and tough to observe; and hold your tongue at the same time. The bad apples have definitely spoiled the bunch for respectful fishermen in that neck of the woods.
Don’t spent much time over there anymore…anyone know if PR Brad been ran out of there yet?? Just curious.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2022, 03:36 PM »
Still there. And still the problem. Seems to not matter how much anybody complains. He’s still there and still acts the same from what I understand.
Trent Williams

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2022, 10:19 PM »
I ran into the supervisor out at boysen and he said that I was off road, when I was at a spot that I had driven down to several times. Parked and was going to walk and crane hunt. He pulled all the way down and turned his lights on, told me later that is his way of letting other know where to find him if he need to call for back up, I walked back and was talking to him and said if he did not like me parking here I could leave and he said he would like me to leave. Said he could write me an off road ticket and the courts were standing behind them on that. Then took a picture of my license plate and park sticker aksed for my drivers license and then took pictures of where inwas parked from behind. I drove up to his truck as he was giving me a verbal warning for being off road unless he found other evidence of off road on my record. He then came back and wanted my Sandhill crane tags for the wife and I and was threatening that the game warden would be there to talk to us. He moved and I drove off with no game warden sighted that evening. A few days later I called to get who he was from the head of boysen state park and he was the one who actually answered the phone and I told him what happened and he said he was the one who did that and we talked for an hour as I was trying to get to the mountain to go hunting for a week. He then stated that as he left he seen the road and said if I would have stopped a 100 yards shorter he would have checked the park sticker and left, but he was saying at first inwas off road all the way down. I know right now the spot I was parked is the turn around for all who drive the road and it is brat to dust. He just did not hear me on the first day saying I was parked in the location I wanted and he said you know those jeep people like to drop it in 4 wheel and tear things up seeing what their jeep can do. I was thinking of giving this to my representative, Salazar, to make him aware that he might get more complaints like he was getting when we had the game warden that was doing things like this, and this park ranger even compared himself to that game warden that is no longer around. I just get a kick out of how some take things and go over board with some of the rules that are around. Oh and the Park ranger said that the way they close roads on the state park is let them grow over so if you see a road that you want to keep open and know it has always been there might want to make sure to drive it and keep some tracks on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.