Author Topic: DynaGlo Wall Mount Heater  (Read 988 times)

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
DynaGlo Wall Mount Heater
« on: Nov 07, 2022, 05:32 PM »
I have a wall mount ventless heater and ran into something I dont understand, maybe someone here has a idea. This is my first fall using the heater. I bought a 40lb tank to get 2+ days of heat rather than using 20lb tanks. I had the 40lb tank filled, used it 2 weekends ago, worked great and went thru 6gal out of the 8gal that the tank was filled with. I had it refilled last week and went to use it this past weekend and the heater would fire up but after a minute or so it would go out and not relight. I noticed the regulator was frosting up on the hose. I switched over to a 20lb tank I had and no problems (also the regulator did not frost up with the 20lb tank)
Over the weekend, I went back and forth trying the 40lb tank again, adjusting the valve on the tank a little each time. Every time the heater would light, work for a minute or 2 then go out as the regulator frosted up.

Im going to try the 40lb tank on something else to see if I have the same issue, just havent gotten that far yet. Wondering if anyone here has any ideas of why it wouldnt work or if somehow refilling a tank can be done incorrectly or cause problems?

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DynaGlo Wall Mount Heater
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2022, 09:18 PM »
I've had similar issues with the tank on my grill. Sometimes the valve doesn't open fully when you unscrew it.
Usually tapping on the knob with something like a grill brush causes it to open fully.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2022, 02:30 AM »
Only time I've seen this is on a leaky connection. I have a 20 lbs tank that I got filled and it leaks every time I screw anything into it. Freezes starting at the tank and runs down the line. Sounds like bad threads on the tank.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2022, 03:46 AM »
L.P.. tanks have check valves in the handle assemblies to eliminate " backflash" when almost empty & so they can't be re-filled w/ things that shouldn't.
They stick like any other mechanical part & can be easily changed, unfortunately the tank has to be empty to accomplish.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2022, 04:56 AM »
Agree with the above ...also try opening the tanks valve slowly .

Also regulators go bad and tank safety valves can get stuck especially when over filled ...happans quite often on BBQ tanks and grills .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I am going to check with the place that filled the tank as well. I cant see it being the hose/regulator since that works fine on a 20lb tank and the regulator doesnt frost up when connected to the 20lb tank.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:18 AM »
Overfilling a tank can make that regulator jam/stick and cause yer problems. Basic 101 LP instructions for a proper fill. Never overfill. I'd have the clowns do a bleed-off and proper refill at NC. 
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2022, 08:41 AM »
Just so ya don't have to waste the fuel. If possible, put the tank in a garbage can full of hot water, it'll keep the pressure high enough to almost empty it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2022, 10:28 AM »
If the tank is over full and liquid propane got into the regulator, the regulator is most likely ruined.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2022, 06:27 PM »
I stopped by the place that filled the 40lb tank today (large local LP supplier) to get a 20lb tank refilled. I told him about the problem with the 40lb tank. He said when they fill them there is an auto-shutoff so they cant be overfilled. He was thinking there might be something wrong with the valve. He said to bring it back and he will take a look at it tomorow

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:40 PM »
Well that sounds good....let us know whatcha find out.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2022, 02:09 PM »
I took the 40lb tank back in today, the guy weighed it and said it was 4lbs heavier than it should be. He explained that there is a "float inside the 20 thru 40lb tanks that once the tank hits 80% full, it should stop allowing more in the tank. Maybe that didnt happen in this case, but he did weigh another tank he had there and it was the same weight as mine

Either way, he emptied my tank and refilled it going by weight instead of waiting for it to auto stop. We will see what happens.

He also mentioned that all tanks should be opened slowly, but fully opened and there should not be any frost on the regulator on the hose. So maybe the tank was just overfilled?

The heater I hook it up to is 2hrs north, so I will try it on a turkey fryer this weekend to see how it works

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2022, 02:26 PM »
AHA!  Overfilled!  I always make sure the guy goes by scale weight when doing mine....good for future reference.  ;)

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Good to hear!  Learned something about this!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.